Author Topic: Project "YOU Bit It Off, YOU chew it", aka installing a Bridgeport CNC  (Read 48131 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
David - I can't put G-code into the controller, it's a conversational thing... There is a book (in German, which I don't speak/read/write unfortunately) which has some conversational examples, I will see if I can't key one of those in.

Andrew - yep, I've got it plumbed into air. When I operate what I assume is the airbrake switch on the front of the machine, I get a very faint "clonk" noise - too faint for me to think it's actually done anything, so maybe the brakes are seized on. Then again, I can't say I've heard the main motor try to do anything, and the tool change light isn't going out, so as far a I can tell it's not even trying to run the spindle?

If I try to set the table position with a "spindle start" function, the machine sits there for a while & does nothing. so I assume something is stopping it...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK

Lub tank needs to be above the limit level, a contact on it is in the control chain iirc.

The TNC 150 can be in 'conversational' mode or ISO G code mode by changing a parameter. There is a magnetically retained overlay keyboard that sits over the usual keys and has the G code markings.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
Hi Ade,

will reply in more detail later - just going out now.

I use my machine in conversational so can send you simple start-up prog later.

Startup can be monitored by some extent by watching the bottom of the monitor.

Problems may also be due to a limit either genuinely being tripped or a wiring issue making it think that - limits / e-stops are usually wired using normally-closed microswitches, relays etc. so if anything fails, or a wire breaks (which is deemed more likely than a short) then the machine will fail safe.

Will also PM you my phone number - can also talk you through entering a conversational program etc.

cheers / Dave

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
:ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:
IT'S KICKING!!!!!
:ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

I now have 3-axis movements and a spinny spindle - yay!

The problem was the fan motor overloading, causing a breaker trip. I didn't recognise it as a breaker, hence not pressing it sooner.... pressed it, everything started up then clonk, off it went again. Disconnected the fan motor, and then it kicked in and stayed in.

Andrew - It doesn't seem to need an air supply after all. I wonder if it used to be connected to an auto toolchanger, I believe they are air powered?

Dave - Number will be in a PM soon, thanks for the kind offer  :nrocks:

So.... next issue - the magnetic spindle brake doesn't work properly... it consists of an electromagnet, a slightly domed metal disk (I assume a magnet enhancer), a clutch which is supposed to go up & down, and a brake disc. The problem is, when assembled as per getting the machine, other than emitting a faint clonk, nothing much happened. I am able to assemble the parts in a configuration which causes the spindle brake to work (albeit weakly), but bass ackwards - i.e. applying power turns the brake on. It should be the other way around...

Can anyone who happens to have a manual :wave: tell me if there's any info about the magnetic spindle brake, e.g. how it goes together? I can at least trial run the machine without the brake, what I'm not sure of is whether it's getting all the volts it should be (~27v) and therefore is a bit on the weak side.

But, hey, IT WORKS! Thank goodness for that!
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Rob.Wilson

:ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: Truly happy for you Ade  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :D

Dose this mean  you be machining engine blocks from solid now  :poke:

Rob 

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Thanks Rob - if I can get anything approaching a surface finish like yours, I'll be extraordinarily happy :)

Dose this mean  you be machining engine blocks from solid now  :poke:

Hmmmmm now there's an idea  :proj:

The machine doesn't have enough travel to make a sump in one sitting... so I'll be making some jigs I think...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Sounds like it's all going to plan Ade  :nrocks:

I know Rob was going for funny but....

Can be done!

:lol:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Rob.Wilson

I wasn't joking Ralph  :)

I bet there will be race car parts flying off the machine soon  :headbang:

Just need to press the button marked "performance parts"  :poke:  :lol: :lol:

Rob

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
First baby steps....

(Don't ask when it's due....)
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Ade.

THAT'S a fine sight to see!   :thumbup:

Blummin well done!  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
I wasn't joking Ralph  :)

Ahh, I see.... Well that's what you get for crying wolf!  :lol:

Well done Ade... Very quick from drop to machining :bugeye:  And not too many  :zap: faults either   :thumbup:

I'm gonna have to come over soon, see this thing in action  :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
Looks pretty exciting, Ade!  Woot!
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Thanks guys! It was a  big relief to watch it actually go do what I told it to! Especially since there were no practice runs - that really was the first time that program ran...

After that video, I made it do a surfacing operation across the top of the block, which it carried out with aplomb. Now I need to start practicing some of the more complex stuff; arcs, circles, etc.

Oh, and remote controlling it too.... it's painful having to program it at the pendant...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Sorry for the late interaction...

Nice one Ade. I can hear the gears in your head whirring all the way over here with what you are going to do once the CNC is where you want it.

I agree with Rob... Race car parts!!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
Well done Ade
 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
From a wet possible "scrapper"to machining in a few days :bow: :bow: :bow:
John

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
To say I'm chuffed would be an understatement :) There's still lots of learning ahead, though, before I can really put it to work... If I can find a cable, I will try the computer interface tonight.

Eric - the reason you can hear the gears is because they're all rusty and knackered  :lol: Too many years of  boozing has left very few functional braincells... You're right, though, race car parts are going to feature prominently...

John - thanks - it's a big relief I must admit. I just need to keep a close eye on my bearings now, there's quite a lot of noise & I'm not sure how much is "normal motor noise" and how much is bearing noise.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
If only there were more hours in the day  :(, then I might get some more done.

Progress report: With Pete's help, the magnetic spindle brake is now back in operation  :beer:

And, following a hectic hour or so of soldering and general messing about, now the computer interface is working!  :ddb:

I have successfully transferred programs from the controller to the computer, the next step is to try to do it t'other way around, & send a program to the machine. But that will have to wait until next week, because I'm out of hours today, and I'm racing at the weekend. I might sneak a couple of hours on Sunday, if I'm not a wrisical pheck by then (I race on Sunday).

If there are any Welshies around, I'll be at Ty Croes on Anglesey sat & sun. It's due to be lashing down on Saturday, Sunday is still not determined (but there might be a dry spot for me to play in).
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Save your parameters to a file NOW to avoid later disasters!!!!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Save your parameters to a file NOW to avoid later disasters!!!!

Yep, already done it (after I posted the above)  :D

Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be able to drip-feed this controller - the parameters only go up to MP214, and the blockwise mode is set in parameter MP223.

I guess I need to look out for a TNC151B controller, I would hope it's sufficiently similar to the TNC150 that I don't need to do any major electrical works, just swap out the main controller box.
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Yes that's a straightforwards upgrade, as is a TNC155 - finding one is another matter !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
But does Mrs ADEV want a holiday in Pasadena?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
There is no Mrs AdeV - no way would I be allowed to spend all my money on milling machines and racing cars if there was one! Although any potential Mrses who WOULD allow such things (and, preferably, who are also reasonably young and filthy stinking rich) are quite welcome to apply - I am fully house trained....

Mr AdeV on the other hand, quite fancies the idea of Pasadena :) But how would a 60Hz controller handle 50Hz mains...?
Cheers!
Ade.
--

lordedmond

I though Electronics ran on DC  not the wobbly stuff :D

To tell the truth it would only be the power pack which should be the same , unlike CRT that used the 50 hz to work out the fly back ,  eg a computer Psu is designed to work on 60 and 50 hz

But it a lot of dosh and I would not like to risk it without some comments from the manufactures

Stuart

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Ade,
Put a call in to a guy called Neil Ginley at Pennine Automation, sorry don't have a number, google it.
Very helpful guy and if there is one in this country he'll know where it is even if he hasn't got one.
John Stevenson