Author Topic: sumthing old sumthing new  (Read 5887 times)

Offline krv3000

sumthing old sumthing new
« on: June 09, 2012, 04:17:08 PM »
hi all i got this sum time back its a clock holder and a center finder that goes in the tool post part of the gimbel for the center finder was missing so spent sum time this week end macking a new tube and rod the tube is made out of stainless steel and so is the rod the rod OD of the rod is 5mm tapered both ends then a 60 dagere point put on both ends right sum pics

Offline krv3000

Re: sumthing old sumthing new
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 04:24:25 PM »
right so far so good but as it is it will not work on my lathe so i had to make a new holder for the gimbel to fit in to so that i can use it on my lathe sos no pics of the next bit i cut a ruff shape out of sum aluminum bar then driest it all off  drilled the fount for the gimbel and adjusting screw to go in to job dun sum pics

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 07:59:29 PM »
Hi Rob,

Not quite sure what it's meant to do. Looks like the sort of centre-finder where you stick a pointy bit in the centre-pop and then adjust until the other end stops going round in circles, But they usually have the gimbal quite close to the chuck/faceplate end, so that the far end goes round in bigger, easier to see, circles. Before I owned any sort of dial gauge, I made someting like that once, with a rod through the hole in the end of a (springy) hacksaw blade, to act as a gimbal. The "gimbal" was very close to the point, with 10x the distance on the other side, so if the work was 1 thou out, that produced a 10 thou wobble at the far end. 

Or am I (can't resist it!) missing  the point?

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 02:27:15 AM »
Bob.
Sorry..... I'm just as confussted as Andy.  :scratch:

What's it gonna do, when it's done?

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline krv3000

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 07:26:36 AM »
HI all sos for the confusion right this will be used with a 4 jaw chuck as bin sed their will be a center pop mack in the peace being held in the 4 jaw chuck you will put the pointed end of the rod in to the center pop on the job keeping the rod as sort as possible at the chuck end when you set the lath gowning the back end of the rod will be all over the place  adjust the work in the 4 jaw tillthe rod stays still then the work peace will be on center i will post pics  to give a beater understanding as soon as i can

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 09:24:37 AM »
adjust the work in the 4 jaw tillthe rod stays still then the work peace will be on center

Gottit now, Bob! Thanks...... :thumbup:

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline krv3000

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 06:41:04 PM »
hi all sum pics of the tool in use