Author Topic: Furnace temperature  (Read 6059 times)

Offline ironman

Furnace temperature
« on: June 26, 2012, 12:22:44 AM »
Have you ever wondered how hot it gets in a furnace melting cast iron? Have a look at my video
Here is another video about making a cast iron flywheel for a model steam engine 
   ironman

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Furnace temperature
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 07:50:37 AM »
What do you use to measure the furnace temperature with? I've seen thermocouples that go to 1100oC, but nothing that will do 1600oC, and my Google powers are weak today...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline philf

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:01:55 AM »
What do you use to measure the furnace temperature with? I've seen thermocouples that go to 1100oC, but nothing that will do 1600oC, and my Google powers are weak today...

Ade,

At work (in the semiconductor industry) we used Platinum Rhodium T/Cs (Type B) which can go up to 1800oC.

I've just found Tungsten Rhenium T/Cs which can go up to an amazing 2300oC!

http://www.thermocoax.com/doc-Temperature_sensors/E201-0_Thermocouple_C.pdf

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:16:14 AM »
....At work (in the semiconductor industry) we used Platinum Rhodium T/Cs (Type B) which can go up to 1800oC.

I've just found Tungsten Rhenium T/Cs which can go up to an amazing 2300oC! ....

Must be a trick spot welder to weld those hot junctions.

So - next challenge for Rob 'the miracle worker' Wilson - can you come up with a suitable rig (chrome plated of course) so we can all make our own?

Dave

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 10:44:46 AM »
Phil - have you seen the price of those things? I've only found 1400oC thermocouples on general sale, and they come in at between £300 and £3500 depending on length & thickness (oo-err). Makes the £28 I paid for a K-type 1100oC one seem quite reasonable...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 12:12:34 PM »
Must be a trick spot welder to weld those hot junctions.

So - next challenge for Rob 'the miracle worker' Wilson - can you come up with a suitable rig (chrome plated of course) so we can all make our own?

Dave -- You don't need to weld TC wires together (though I agree that it is better and more accurate if you do), you can just coat them thermally conductive grease, twist them together, and squash them in a press for intimate contact.  Probably half the TC's currently measuring experiments in R&D labs around the world are assembled this way.

Hopefully I have not lost it (a paper -- not my mind), but I have instructions for making a calibrating an optical pyrometer that we used to measure hypergolic plumes a few years back.  Other than gaining access to qualified high temperature test standards, it is a simple device that only costs a few $$$ to build (under $15 as I recall from 2005).  As my unit was built using customer's parts on time they paid for, it ended up staying with the customer after my work was done.

Offline ironman

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 12:29:57 AM »
Looks like you have covered the answers I was about to give, R type wire is very expensive but will go to 1770C. K type will only go to 1200c but it is very cheap. That unit I bought about 18 years ago and was very expensive and I see nothing has changed.  ironman