Author Topic: The Scrapheap engine build  (Read 5450 times)

Offline enginenut

The Scrapheap engine build
« on: June 30, 2012, 07:08:06 AM »
Well I've put it off long enough so i 'spose i better post my latest project...... I was wandering around our farm scrapheap one day when I realised I probably had enough bits and pieces to build a hit'n'miss engine. So I scrounged the crank and cam out of a long dead Ronaldson tippett 'N' (very dead if it were possible i would have restored it!!) and a piston and liner out of an IH 436 diesel engine, plus a spoked flywheel off an old harvester. The first thing i did was to "de- dieselize" the piston I.E machine the pocket off the top and recut the ring groove then gave it a blast with glass in the cabinet. I stripped the crank and cam out of the engine next which is were I'm up to with the project.

I'm yet to decide on whether to make the mixer or just scrounge a carb off the plethora of small engines on the heap, but I have decided the ignition will be a traditional Kettering points setup possibly using a Dizzy out of a Holden(GM) 6 cyl engine with 5 of the cam lobes machined off driven off the cam just to enhance the "scrap" theme. I will have to make the Governor as it will most likely need to be fairly hefty to trigger the exhaust rod latch.

Off to to the workshop to do some more.

Andrew

Offline ozzie46

Re: The Scrapheap engine build
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:05:55 AM »

Sign me up! This is gonna be good.

Ron

Offline darwin crazy turner

Re: The Scrapheap engine build
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 01:07:11 AM »
Well I've put it off long enough so i 'spose i better post my latest project...... I was wandering around our farm scrapheap one day when I realised I probably had enough bits and pieces to build a hit'n'miss engine. So I scrounged the crank and cam out of a long dead Ronaldson tippett 'N' (very dead if it were possible i would have restored it!!) and a piston and liner out of an IH 436 diesel engine, plus a spoked flywheel off an old harvester. The first thing i did was to "de- dieselize" the piston I.E machine the pocket off the top and recut the ring groove then gave it a blast with glass in the cabinet. I stripped the crank and cam out of the engine next which is were I'm up to with the project.

I'm yet to decide on whether to make the mixer or just scrounge a carb off the plethora of small engines on the heap, but I have decided the ignition will be a traditional Kettering points setup possibly using a Dizzy out of a Holden(GM) 6 cyl engine with 5 of the cam lobes machined off driven off the cam just to enhance the "scrap" theme. I will have to make the Governor as it will most likely need to be fairly hefty to trigger the exhaust rod latch.

Off to to the workshop to do some more.

Andrew

Hi Andrew
if i was u i wood be reading up on  blast with glass on pistons as from what i know it better off in the bin now as it will pick up on the liner .. just soke it in diesel all good after 2-3 days degrease wash it off like new ..
Just what i know about engine rebuilds .. sorry i new to this site as well
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:12:19 AM by Stilldrillin »