Author Topic: Harrison L5 rescue  (Read 132391 times)

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
Re: Harrison L5 rescue
« Reply #200 on: May 02, 2014, 04:32:43 AM »
This is a superb renovation thread Mick. Thanks for sharing your work. Very inspiring to us beginners.

Gary
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #201 on: May 02, 2014, 05:46:09 PM »
Cracking job Mick :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
John

Offline krv3000

« Reply #202 on: May 02, 2014, 06:06:54 PM »
its geting ther mick

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #203 on: May 05, 2014, 03:50:54 PM »
Very nice Mick,good to see her coming back together.

I really do like the way your control panel setup has worked out and the other subtle improvements you've done.

"We're not worthy" :bow: "we're not worthy"  :bow:

I've just finished screwcutting a new 8 tpi imperial single start cross slide screw for my L6. The standard screw is a 10 tpi 2 start giving 200 thou per revolution(far too coarse for my liking).

The 8 tpi gives 125 thou per revolution and the micrometer wheel I'll be using with it is nearly double the size of the original Harrison item,thus a lot easier to read.

I'll post up a thread and some photos on the subject when I get the new nut finished.....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline micktoon

« Reply #204 on: May 05, 2014, 04:53:50 PM »
Hi Oz ,
          glad you like the look of the lathe coming back together, its slow with everything needing messed about with as it goes back on. I would like to see the post on the cross slide screw, I am hoping mine is able to be fettled by adjusting the nut a bit. Have you mad a new micrometer wheel Oz as I am thinking of making some imperial ones for this lathe , its imperial screws but metric dials at the moment so I was thinking of making collars that would go over the originals to also increase the size of the dial.

Gary,
           the reason I have posted this rebuild is because I have read post others have put on the net about various topics and enjoyed and learnt from them so the more people do it the better I think so glad you are enjoying it and even better if it inspires anyone to rebuild something  :thumbup:

Cheers John and Bob...............hopefully one of you will be able to smash a bottle of Brown Ale off her for the re launch soon  :D

Cheers Mick

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #205 on: May 05, 2014, 05:04:17 PM »
Be a bottle of Merlot for me :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
John

Offline micktoon

« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2014, 06:18:20 PM »
Hi All , I have got a bit more done to the lathe and am on the home stretch now. I have tested the motor , gearbox etc and al seems well so far, coolant pump all fitted apart from the pipes for the coolant and the wiring all finished now.

This is the rear of the lathe, with the coolant pump back in position and the wiring all tied up.

I mentioned I had got another neater RPM sensor and display, this is it here I got it from this Ebay seller from Hong Kong but quality item that arrived well packed in a couple of weeks and for £10 inc postage its got to be the answer to putting a RPM display on any machine really http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261307045946?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT . Here are a few photos of the one I have but not fitted to anything yet, the only other thing you need is a 12v DC supply and a bracket for the sensor. The actual display fits into a rectangle cut out in any panel or box and snaps into place.

BobKRV3000 kindly had the top of the crossslide ground for me ( cheers Bob ), it was rough and battered and the graduations were all but worn off anyway so I will just set it at 90 degrees and witness mark it then set it with potractor when needed. At least it looks smart now and I could not have read the graduations anyway before.

The chuck had already been overhauled ages ago so nice to just pick an item up , wipe it off and fit it , I think its the first thing I have done that too !

Change wheels looked tatty now so they got a go over and paint.

Tailstock had a few  bits that needed fixing but all done and back together now, the morse taper inside the barrel is a bit rough but can be taken out to be done easy enough.

The saddle had new felt wipers fitted as well as a general good go over.

The apron was tested and the handwheel re drilled and tapped with larger thread on the wonky hole with the help of my mate Dave on his Emco FB2 mill ( cheers Dave ) My my mill is still sitting with the ram jammed in half way position so it can not be swiveled either way due to the wall at the moment ( the next job on the list )

The cabinet door has had a new Yale type lock fitted, I wondered what the hell the handle/catch looked like until I saw one for sale on Ebay and noticed the lock.

I am busy with the topslide now, it was rough around the edges so its been over to John Doubleboosts today to have the sides skimmed on his mill ( I am going to owe some favours out by the time this lathe is done ) But nice when people can help each other out with jobs, so thanks John.  Once the topslide is on its just testing everything and setting everything up really and hopefully not finding any problems.

Cheers Mick.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #207 on: May 19, 2014, 06:47:27 PM »
well dun mick is that red the one i gave you carnt wate to chuck a bit of brass in it and see wat hapens with the cutings all over the place

Offline micktoon

« Reply #208 on: May 19, 2014, 07:22:57 PM »
Hi Bob , its the stuff that John gave me , real good old paint goes on thick and flows out nice  :thumbup: , I am waiting for the MD of Harrisons to phone up and say that he needs that model for the Harrison museum ......... name my price lol but if not you can come and cut some brass on it  :bugeye:  :lol:

Cheers Mick

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #209 on: May 19, 2014, 09:38:37 PM »
What a beautiful machine!

I just had to go back and look at the photos in the first post to remind myself what it looked like to start.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #210 on: May 20, 2014, 06:38:32 AM »
 Top notch restoration there Mick, it really is a beauty. :bow:  :clap:

Thanks for the info and photos of the rev counter.I'll be ordering one of those for the L6 and powering it of the 12v Lo Volt machine work light transformer fitted to my lathe.....OZ.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #211 on: May 27, 2014, 07:02:20 PM »
      Hi Lads , got some more done with the lathe, its looking like a lathe again now , just finishing bits to fit then a good check over and adjust this that and the other, test then probably re adjust things.
 This is what it looks like now, still the end covers to fit , that horrible old maroon bakalite forward reverse knob for the power feed needs replaced and the screw cutting badges still to be done and the steadies , collet chuck etc to clean and paint, coolant hose.

Not long until the first swarf hits the tray now !

Cheers Mick

Offline bp

« Reply #212 on: May 27, 2014, 10:07:53 PM »
A really inspirational rebuild/rescue/restoration!!
Now it's time to enjoy it!!
All the best
Bill

Offline Biggles

« Reply #213 on: January 07, 2016, 10:46:01 AM »
Hi All, I am a newbie who has been enthused and encouraged by your projects, especially rebuilding of the Harrison L5 lathe by micktoon. The last time I used a lathe was when the Harrison L5 was virtually new, at School! ; Now retired I would like to tinker with a lathe project to this end I recently purchased an L5A from EBay with no tools.   :doh:  Therefore I am looking for basically everything. I thought I’d start with the metric translation gears. Unfortunately they are becoming rarer than hens teeth. I found someone who will cut some for me in cast iron at a reasonable price, cheaper than advertised. If one of you can help; there are some measurements I would like to know about the translation gears: especially the 127T its diameter external and internal (base of the teeth) similarly Nos. 40, 60, and 63. I understand that they are 3/4" wide 7/8” bore, the teeth are 14DP x 20 pa, If one of you guys has them to hand can you measure the diameters for me please.  :nrocks:

Offline hermetic

« Reply #214 on: January 07, 2016, 02:30:02 PM »
Hi Biggles, welcome to the forum, you may not get a reply to this as if you look at the date of the post above you will see it is nearly2 years old, if no one replies to you, use this your post to start a new thread. Best of luck1
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #215 on: January 07, 2016, 03:02:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum,Biggles.
I run a Harrison L6. G&M Tool sales have a number of ex factory spares stock including back gears....OZ.

Link: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/theplaneironshop/Harrison-Lathe-Parts-/_i.html?_fsub=17071639&rt=nc&_pgn=2&_ipg=48

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #216 on: January 07, 2016, 03:58:19 PM »
Hi Biggles and All
Heres a link to a neat little program to download that will calculate gear specs  :wave:

http://www.wmberg.com/tools/

HTH
John

Offline Biggles

« Reply #217 on: January 07, 2016, 08:59:49 PM »
Hi all thanks for replying, I have been to eBay stores, G&M, Tony Griffiths etc. They have all run out of the 127. I asked Tony at ilathes for one he is advertising for £90 but came back with an order cost of 135 + Vat + delivery, as he has run out and has to order them.  :loco:  I then asked him about the dimensions but he has not replied. So I thought since I am likely to have these made, I’ll make them from Cast.  :hammer: I asked John Ward of the same web name who has offered to make each for about £25 plus material which is about another £25. So for £50 a piece I can have them in Cast.  The only thing he wanted was the diameter of the large wheel.  :smart: I will try and workout the download and see if I have enough info for it to work. Thanks vintageandclassicrepairs. :thumbup:

Manxmodder, since you are running an L6, they are the same dimensions. Can you measure yours if you have a 127 diameter so I can crosscheck the answer with the program gives please? :bow: :bow:

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #218 on: January 08, 2016, 09:38:46 AM »
Hi Biggles and welcome. I'm sure you can work out the dimension of the 127T gear given the pitch and pressure angle without a problem, but nice to compare with a real one to check. The price sounds great, too.  I particularly like the DC3, too! Is it a particular plane you were/are associated with?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Sid_Vicious

« Reply #219 on: January 08, 2016, 04:15:03 PM »
Hi Biggles and welcome, now you should take a look at John's (Doubleboost here and on Youtube) tread on how he made a new gear from a larger one that was cheap and plentiful of on ebay.
Nothing is impossible, it just take more time to figure out.

« Reply #220 on: January 08, 2016, 04:28:56 PM »
Hi Biggles and All,
I used the little program to get the following dimensions
OD. 9.214in.
root diamater, 8.896in.
tooth depth, 0.1591in

For hobby use I think aluminium would be ok to make the gears from ???

Cheers
John

Offline Biggles

« Reply #221 on: January 08, 2016, 06:52:35 PM »
vtsteam,  since i am new-ish at this game i need a little holding of hands at the beginning, but now i had 2 minutes with the program i seem to have got the hang of it and measured the existing gears on my lathe, compared the actual with calculated results. They seem to stack up; using 14DP, 20P gear values. One of the reasons i was hesitant is that the lathe is in store and hard to get to at the moment due to building works.  :dremel:
The C47/DC3 was one of the ones i flew with Skyways at Lydd airport back in the late 70's.  :thumbup:

Hi Sid_Vicious, I have been following John's YouTube for some time now, he makes me laugh.  :lol: I curl up in hysterics when he starts swearing in his northern accent and manor; having said that his work and tutorials are excellent and should be given a medal for his instruction.   :beer:

Vintageandclassicrepairs; Thanks for the program, the result I got are the same. Unfortunately I do not think alloy will be a good idea for turning threads, perhaps for the intermediate gear replacing the fibre it will do. But I think it would only take a slight dig in your work and you will lose the gear teeth; besides alloy is just as expensive.  :thumbup:

Offline RussellT

« Reply #222 on: January 09, 2016, 04:19:22 AM »
[ Unfortunately I do not think alloy will be a good idea for turning threads, perhaps for the intermediate gear replacing the fibre it will do. But I think it would only take a slight dig in your work and you will lose the gear teeth; besides alloy is just as expensive.  :thumbup:

If there is a fibre gear in the train then I would have thought that would protect the teeth of an alloy gear.  Failing that is there a shear pin anywhere.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

lordedmond

« Reply #223 on: January 09, 2016, 05:05:28 AM »
Sooner to have the ally gear fail in a crash than the gear box or WHY

As Russell has said is there a shear pin in the train , better to have a weak point that a major wreck to deal with

Just my 2 cents

Stuart

« Reply #224 on: January 09, 2016, 04:02:06 PM »
Hi All,
Thinking back :scratch: I made a 35tooth  14DP gear for the Woodhouse & Mitchell lathe I have, probably twenty years ago now?? I made the gear from a piece of good cast iron, At the time I had no way of cutting the splined centre so filed a keyway and made up a key to fit one of the splines on the driving spindle, probably about 1/4in square or so, it has never sheared and I have done some pretty heavy cutting on the lathe
At one time I was going to make up a set of metric change wheels and I was going to make them from aluminium, another of the never get roundtuit jobs  :palm:

Biggles,
In 1991there was a tall ships event on here in Cork, and there were pleasure flights from the airport on a DC3, I took my at the time 6 year old son on a flight over the harbour and South Coast
due to airport traffic we got well over twice the original planned time in the air,
I loved the experience and especially the sound of those big radial engines  :clap:

Cheers
John