Author Topic: Stereo fix  (Read 8459 times)

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
Stereo fix
« on: October 13, 2012, 05:02:19 PM »
My dad has an old Sherwood stereo receiver. The power switch quit working a few years back. Replacement parts are impossible to find, so I opened up the switch to see what was inside. Turns out theres a small plastic part, and it fractured. So, I made a replacement. Brass, because that's what I had on hand.

Pic shows new part and original. If you look closely, you can see where I glued it. Tried glue before, but it wouldn't hold.

Yes, it's ugly. It's uneven, and the slot still needs filed to fit. But it fixes a perfectly good stereo for my dad, and he is pleased.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
Re: Stereo fix
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 06:29:23 PM »
Nice work, who cares how it looks as long as it works..  :lol:

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 07:52:50 PM »
Well done. There's great satisfaction to be found in reviving something which a relative or friend treasures.

But tell Dad not to boast to his friends about your talen, or you will soon find a "Can you fix this?" line forming at your door.

Andy

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 08:29:28 PM »
I'm kinda already known as the fix it guy.  I freely repair/adjust the kid's bikes in the neighborhood.  Nothing like the smile of a 6 year old after you fix their only form of transportation.  Chains lubed and tightened, seats, handlebars and brakes adjusted, flats repaired, tires blown up.  It's usually less than 10 minutes of work, but the appreciation last for days.  And, it makes me feel good.

Anyway, dad was happy even though he hasn't used that stereo in about a decade.  If it gets turned on twice more before he dies, it'd be a miracle.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
rleete

Very nice of you to get your Dads stereo going again. To him the important thing isn't how much that he uses it but just knowing that if he so desires he can go over to it and turn it on and it will work. That is what gives him the most satisfaction.

Nothing like the smile of a 6 year old after you fix their only form of transportation.

That smile is like MasterCard, priceless.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Deko

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 06:02:09 AM »
Tell me about the queues forming !! I fixed a belt sander for a bloke at "men in sheds" and am now unofficial maintainance man for everyones power tools. :zap:

Cheers Dek.