Author Topic: Brass monkies  (Read 27941 times)

Kludge

Re: Brass monkies
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2009, 06:19:50 PM »
Worse than that Scott..... It means cold balls!!.... Cannon balls that is!!!  (if I remember correctly?!?!)    :lol:

Story is that the "monkey" is the rack on which cannon balls were placed on aboard warships, and that they were brass to give the sailors something to do to keep them busy, polishing brass being popular in most navies, y'see.  In extremely cold weather, the cannon balls would shrink enough that they would slip between the rails hence it was cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

Since I was in the US Navy, I've pretty much catagorized this with sending someone fresh out of boot camp to engineering for some relative bearing grease and a bucket of steam, to the bosun's locker for a length of waterline, or to an aviation bosun's mate for a bucket of prop wash.  Etc.  Lots of etc.

BEst regards,
Kludge ... who was evil and did those things.  :)

Kludge

Re: Brass monkies
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2009, 06:27:54 PM »
It all depends if you have asbestos dangly bits, unless of course you are a masochist. :lol:

But when I'm using the machines, I'm sitting on a stool or standing not walking.  When I'm walking, nothing's running - or even has power to it.  Of course, some might say that about the dangly bits too but that's subject for another time. :D

Best regards,

Kludge