Author Topic: 5/8-16 Tap  (Read 9027 times)

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
5/8-16 Tap
« on: February 09, 2009, 01:46:29 AM »
Ok sooooo

I bought a Arbor for the Peck drill. It has a 5/8-16 Thread. (So the box Says)

I checked my local too place and it was a big Zilch. Nothing. Nada. No 5/8-16 Taps.

SO then I checked John's (Bogs) place there across the pond... and nada.

Am I looking for something odd here? Or something that doesnt exist and was a Mis-print on the label?

Its an arbor that is used for chucks.. but.. I cant find a tap.

Suggestions of places before I toss caution to the wind and try some random place on the Intarwebs?

Thanks a bunch!
Scott

PS: I dont expect some goodle search of it.. cause I will do that.. I just thought if there were other places you all go to and trust.. I would just as soon go there online, verses rolling the dice with someplace.
SPiN Racing

bogstandard

Re: 5/8-16 Tap
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 03:36:11 AM »
Spin,

That size does not exist, it might do, but not in the standard range of thread sizes. Maybe it is a standard for chuck manufacturers.

I am wondering why you are going the long way around for a peck drilling attachment. See C-o-C.

Just a smaller version of this

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2901&category=

This is what a pin chuck looks like

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?sessionID=QOL&pf_id=33442&name=pin+chuck&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0

John
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 03:41:22 AM by bogstandard »

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 12:14:45 AM »
Im sorry.. I guess the two projects Im working with at once were bound to get things muddles for everyone, as well!  (I got confused when looking through supplies trying tog et things clear in my brain yesterday)

Im making a Peck drill... AND.. a Tapping thing.  But two different projects.  :D

The Peck Drill Im making is using a 1.75" piece of SOme form of hard Stainless. THe stuff used for race boats with a inboard engine. I guess the scrap yard got the shafts from someone who crashed well enough that the shafts are fine.. but the rest of the boats were write offs. Or they were spares.. WHo knows.

Anyhow.. I have the 1.75 Stainless that I am making a peck drill similar to Ralphs, but a bit bigger with a larger chuck, so I can drill larger holes.. but not get carried away.. I like my arm attached.. and a large drill bit biting, and slamming a peck drill lever into my chest isnt one of the things I would like to achieve with my Lathe.

So yes.. Peck Drill.
1.75 Stainless rod. Drilled the hole in front, need to turn a taper for the chuck still (Looked at your how to John, and plan on going that route) and drilled a starter hole in back of the rod. Now I just need to get a tap at that size... that doesnt seem to be readily available. But some googling around and yes.. that size is available. (67.50Pounds +VAT special order from one place)

The tap is for the Arbor I have. Its nice and beefy.. but Im not sure if its overkill, or just silliness.

I am going to contact the local bolt and screw place near me that usually has a nice selection of things... will have to wait and see.
SPiN Racing

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 04:27:26 AM »
John Stevenson

Offline gunboatbay

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 10:23:47 AM »
Yeh; instead of saying something doesn't exist, it would be beter to say, "I'm not aware of any".
Here's another source, but it'll cost you $15.

Offline gunboatbay

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 10:27:42 AM »

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 10:36:06 AM »
Yeh; instead of saying something doesn't exist, it would be beter to say, "I'm not aware of any

That size does not exist, it might do, but not in the standard range of thread sizes

Bogs

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 01:03:01 AM »
Sings E-bayyyyy!!

Ok so ended up getting it off ebay.
Got a 3-pack of taps I will use once for 10 dollars or so.
/shrug

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=140274152727

Scott

Oh and yes I read that right John, not in standard sizes  :thumbup: ...  I found there are a host of really odd sized 5/8 taps when you go to the non-standard size dealers. Like 5/8-26 !?!?!?!?
SPiN Racing

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 03:41:41 AM »
26 tpi thread is very common.
It exists as Cycle thread and brass thread, both technically different but in practice very interchangable.

In the Brass standard it's 26 throughout the range regardless of size wheras in the Cycle standard is available in 26 and 20 on the larger sizes.

Anyone into vintage British motorcycles will be very conversant with these in both RH and LH form.

JS.
John Stevenson

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 12:59:53 PM »
I have to agree with the Bogster and Sir John, and to prove my point here is the thread chart site to end all thread charts sites and styles of thread. As I have been told that NSTP National Straight Pipe Thread  are no longer used, because of the National Taper Pipe Thread.
I have won an number of bets. As it is used in certain medical equipment connects. This is done to stop the interconnection of equipment and regular piping.

Much the same way that, water tubing, pipe, and plastic tubing,pipe, and electrical conduit other than in special conditions. Can't be used with each other.

Can anybody remember or even think they know what is common for all the trades in the sizes and types.  :bang: http://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/index.html  Specifications of International Thread Standards

And these are just the commonly used ones!  :doh:

glen
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

bogstandard

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 03:30:29 PM »
Glen,

That is very similar to the chart I put into the downloads section called 'All Threads'

John

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 04:20:33 PM »
Its kinda comical that this thread is so odd.

Im not sure really what it would be called now. Other than a drill chuck thread...None of the charts I have seen have it...(Unless I missed it someplace)

Its an oddball for sure.
SPiN Racing

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 06:08:24 PM »
There is a book called world screw threads.
 Very diversified and on one page is an entry for Manchester Plumbers Thread which states that this thread with is all of 16 tpi [ from recollection ]
and states "This thread is used by plumbers in the Manchester area."

JS.

John Stevenson

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 06:26:30 PM »
"This thread is used by plumbers in the Manchester area."

JS.

Nothing like keeping it in the family and the outside competition at bay  :lol:
glen
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!'