Author Topic: Building a Toylander Electric Landrover for my Daughter  (Read 26115 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Building a Toylander Electric Landrover for my Daughter
« on: July 22, 2012, 05:22:55 PM »
I purchased the plans for this last year - the Toylander 2. Build manual and full size plans/templates £35.

After the usual 1 year maturing stage on the shelf, I thought the plans are now good enough to use... and the fact that my workshop is out of use for the next few weeks, this project is too big for my workshop so it should be a good filler for the summer.

Two things to say before we go any further:
1. I`m useless with woodworking! I`ve never really done anything before so this could be tough.
2. I`ll fight it for as long as possible, but this could very well end up being painted pink!

Here is my team along with the first bits of wood and templates:

Sides cut:

Front wings:

Front and Rear wings fitted to the base along with riser.

Sides sat in position just to see what it`ll look like!

Also started the metal work; here is the front axle ready for welding.

I could do with a mobility scooter if anyone has got one for cheap or scraps! Otherwise I`ll be selling my organs to afford the motor and controller!!

Offline krv3000

Re: Building a Toylander Electric Landrover for my Daughter
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 05:30:18 PM »
well i supos as its for your lil one the wife will not complan with all that in her way good job on the wood work keep it up if i had my projects in the kitchen ther will be a hissy fit of the wife 

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 05:46:16 PM »
Trust me, I`m the same!! She hasn`t been in today and needless to say it was all tidy and away by the time she returned  :whip:

Offline krv3000

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 04:40:30 PM »
lol im not that fast she all ways cums back and catches me

Offline stovebolt

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 06:05:12 PM »
Looks like you have a good start and an able team,  before you know it you'll be deciding what shade
of pink       :thumbup:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 02:16:01 AM »
You're away to a good start Chris!   :clap:

Love the idea of maturing the plans, before assembling your build team.   :thumbup:

Hope all goes well.......  :)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline micktoon

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 04:10:36 AM »
  Hi Chris , see you are keeping busy as usual  :thumbup: , this looks like a good project , I have seen the finished kits about before and they look really good, I often wondered how they were constructed so will watch this build with interest.  Looks like the wood work is going fine too  or did you get your dog to do that section  :lol: I know my dog is canny at wood work as long as long as having something reduced to splinters is what you need  :)
  Cheers Mick.

Offline grayone

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 12:24:25 PM »
Very interested in this post as I have one on the maybe list fir my grandkids :D
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 12:59:58 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for the interest!
Well the dog got fed up of getting sawdust up his nose and my daughter still doesn`t understand why I haven`t finished yet but...

a little more done! It doesn`t look much more but getting from the last picture to this one with just one side on has been another morning work!

I`m away now for a week and was hoping to have both sides on but never mind.

So a break in progress now for a week! By the way, this is a hell of a lot bigger than I thought despite having the full size plans... I`ve no idea where the hell it is going to go when complete.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 02:32:20 PM »
Pretty cool Chris!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 10:36:26 AM »
Nice work Chris, she's chuffed with it already, ... just leave it like that  :lol:

I really need to get back to the loco I was making for our boys ... feel a bit ashamed!

I got two small 100W motors for that and a controller all from ebay. They weren't too much if I remember rightly, maybe £50 in total.

The place where I got the motors doesn't seem to have any anymore but am sure there are other places. Here is the controller, I haven't tried it under load yet though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-30A-PWM-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-Regulate-RC-Model-1-/310341390764?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4841c9d1ac

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 05:52:54 PM »
Hi Nick, sorry I`ve been on holiday so not been on here all week.

I`ll tell you what, I said it at the end of the last post but this thing is seriously bigger than I imagined!! I`m really worried, as in a possible project ender!, as to where this is going to go even while I complete it. I`m going to have to try and sneak it into my grandads garage but I don`t think he`ll miss spotting it!! 

Anyway, with regards to the motors, can you see anything on ebay similar. I`m not really clued up on them so don`t know what I`m looking for that would work with that controller.

Any more help appreciated.
Chris

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 07:05:46 PM »
Pedals and (guarded) chain drive to the rear axle might be easier, Chris.
As to storage, extend it to the long wheelbase model, so it can double up as her bed  :)

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 06:01:53 AM »
Haha good idea with the bed Andy!

Chris, I can only seem to find 24v ones now, am sure mine are 12 but they look exactly like this ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-E-Scooter-24v-100w-motor-brand-new-/200670591933

Seems quite pricey, I can't actually remember what I paid for mine now.

Ah, here is another ... http://www.storacingproducts.com/scream-electric-scooter-100w-motor.html 24v again ... weird! One I found said 12-24v.

Looked like this ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scooter-E-100-E100-Motor-Belt-Drive-100W-Watt-4-Razor-/360343113764 will have to check the labels on mine, maybe I was planning just to shove 12v through and hope for the best ... can't remember, will that reduce speed or torque or both?!

Nick

Offline Deko

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 07:53:57 AM »
I agree with Andy, stick pedals in there.  It is not just the motors,you will want batteries and a charger,then you will be in trouble if you forget to charge them up overnight, a job not to be entrusted to a child. :zap:  I think folk tend to forget, in these days of power everything, that children have boundless energy and do not like waiting for things to be charged up.

Cheers  Deko

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 10:23:23 AM »
NickG - cheers for the links. I know the original Toylanders are 12v motors but quite a few are buying these 24v motors but then you need two batteries if using regular car ones. I`ll still have to have a think about it.

Deko 
I think folk tend to forget, in these days of power everything, that children have boundless energy and do not like waiting for things to be charged up

Trust me... I CAN never forget that my daughter has boundless energy. bike, scooter, three balls, a skipping rope and some wierd shoes with wheels on the bottom of them....and that is just what I can see sat here in my living room typing this message.   

Offline picclock

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 12:00:11 PM »
Hi Chris

FWIW I think the battery powered idea is the one to go with. I bought my kids one, a 4 wheel off road look alike similar to a Honda off road bike,  and it was a hit from day one, managed to take both of them on it and a friend all at the same time, they eventually (3 yrs) wore it out. The reason I advocate going for a battery drive is the weight of the vehicle and the ability to stop it. With the one I bought when it was not in drive the motor leads were short circuited leading to dynamic braking. The kids would also switch it into reverse whilst going flat out forward so I guess it must have been tough.

Good luck with your project, I'm sure your young assistant will love it.

Best Regards

picclock

Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
Do you have power wheels over there?  6 or 12 volt systems, all in a ready made package.  Small motors (about 1.5" diameter by 4" long), but plenty powerful enough to push a kid around.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 01:43:54 PM »
push a kid around .... I want it to push me around as well  :lol: :drool:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 08:17:16 PM »
Chris, an idea for the motor and controls...

Some washing machines are driven by huge stepper motors, one or two horsepower at full power.  Of course they produce torque at low revs (even stall).

Now, the germ of the idea! 

This is a sweet you lady young have in that machine and you want controls to be easy, safe and easy to learn.

SO...... make a set of regular pedals (rotary kind) and fit a multi position switch to the pedals and wire that switch to the stepper motor coils.  As she turns the pedals the appropriate coils in the motor will energise,  faster, slower, backwards, forwards,  all as per natural pedalling but with the horsepower of the motor to drive the Toyrover.  Stopping pedalling puts the brake on too.

The motor coils in the NZ made (now also made in other countries) Fisher and Paykel washing machine are full power at about 40 volts (and can spin 10kgs of wet socks to 1000rpm in seconds) but I expect 12 volts would be about right for that machine.  Other marques make motors like that and some use the F&P motors.

This is what the motor looks like:-

The bit with the shaft is just the bearing holder, the stator is the bit with the coils and the rotor is the gray plastic bit which carried permanent magnets and fits around the outside of the stator.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:41:38 AM by John Hill »
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 05:25:44 PM »
Guys many thanks for all the info and advice. John massive thanks for the effort of your last post, it certainly got me thinking....

but.

PROJECT ABANDONED - too big. It couldn`t live in the workshop and my Mrs was determined to kick it out of the house. Was either me or the car and so I choose to get rid.  Poor daughter  :palm:

Offline Pete.

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2012, 06:37:25 PM »
Oh, you're gonna burn in hell for that. I bet she's already been on to childline and is busy right now searching out the worst nursing home for you for when you're old and smell of wee!