Author Topic: Minilathe drive gear  (Read 5050 times)

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
Minilathe drive gear
« on: July 26, 2012, 08:00:57 PM »
This is the story of a man with C.R.S.  (for those who don't know, that's can't remember shoot, or something like that)

As I posted on elsewhere, I broke the drive gear in my headstock.  It's the smaller "transmission gear", #24 on the parts diagram.  Completely my fault, too.  I was parting off, and had not sufficiently tightened the chuck.  The part shifted under load, and climbed up the tool.  It jammed/stalled and then nothing.  No noise or drama, it just wouldn't go.  I knew immediately what I had done.  I opened it up, and sure enough the gear was toast.  Busted right in the middle, mostly along the mold seam line.  The teeth show pretty good wear from the abuse I've handed it over time.  As they're either ABS of glass filled mylon, it's surprising they lasted this long. 

After confirmation, I headed up to order a new one.  I use LMS as my go-to place for mini lathe and mill parts.  They've done me a few good turns over the years, so I reward them with more business.  Anyway, the gear was something less than $14 shipped.  It should be here tomorrow.  So far so good.

I headed down tonight to finish the teardown and clean the parts up.  As I dug around in my toolbox, I found the bag labeled "minilathe spare parts kit" which I had ordered six or eight months ago.  Duh.  Acutally, I ordered that for the toothed belt and pulleys that are included, because I was planning on making a X-axis drive for my mill.

Guess I'll have replacements for the replacements now.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline pjf134

Re: Minilathe drive gear
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:15:57 PM »
 That kind of stuff only happens when you need to get something done now, at least for me it does. Another couple of day won't matter for the build, it's been a long time since we started that project anyways.
Paul
To error is human, but doing it a second time takes a better excuse!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Minilathe drive gear
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 02:25:55 AM »
I have a mini lathe, and mill.

Dave, Bluechip, arrived some time ago, with a load of spare gears etc. "You'll never break a gear, cos' now you've got spares!"  :thumbup:

I took the gears from my brand new mill, when converting to belt.

I've got loads of  spares..... And, know just where they are......

Never had a problem, in 8 years........ So far!  :)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!