Author Topic: Washing machine drive wheel?  (Read 11563 times)

Offline Swarfing

Washing machine drive wheel?
« on: July 27, 2012, 02:18:46 PM »
Guys could any of you recommend a UK washing machine that has as large as possible drive wheel? preferably made of of aluminium?

What for you ask?

I'm thinking of building a vertical band-saw and thought these would be perfect for the wheels. Been looking at what others have built and making something out of wood just does not cut it with me. I have noticed though through google the drive wheels are varying sizes and some made out of plastic. So if you know of a make and model that could work as doner your advice would be well received.

I'm hoping to make it all out of steel as soon as i can collect all the parts (providing freecycle helps with the wheels).

Cheers

Paul

Once in hole stop digging.

Offline John Rudd

Re: Washing machine drive wheel?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 03:06:20 PM »
Paul,

You may be in luck......

I have an Indesit w/m that is poorly......We have an new one on order( yet to take delivery)

The drum pulley is ally and is big...(no idea I didnt measure it when the back was off..I hadnt read your message on Tuesday... :smart:)

Bottom line is it will be going to the tip at some point not before I remove certain internal organs...

One thing I would point out is that in my experience, late design w/m's have a poly V drive belt.. that may detract from your design.... :dremel:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 03:41:49 PM »
Smart thinking Paul  :med:

have you looked here   http://www.ransomspares.co.uk/parts/search/drum/washing-machines/c/default.htm?p=5&ps=&se=NumSold&sd=DESC
they have a few pulleys .

Rob

Offline Noitoen

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 04:50:15 PM »
Hi, I work at our local REEE recycling centre. There we receive tons of appliances, including washing machines to recycle. Most modern ones have poliV belts in which the drum's pulley is completely flat.
You should visit your local centre and "gently" ask for a pair. I could get some for you but the shipment from Portugal to the UK wouldn't compensate, I think.

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 05:11:53 PM »
never thought about washing machine drum pulleys, what sort of sizes do they come in any ideas. just skipped one recently  :doh: I built  my version of the 3 wheel bandsaw that was in one of the early Model Engineers Workshop, its been great and done a lot of the brown stuff, and its fair share of steel alloy and brass. its just short of headroom  it will only cut 3.1/4 inches, ( brown stuff only at that thickness) sods law says you always want a bit more. So i keep thinking about making a 2 wheeler for the extra bit of room. and a smaller footprint for the whole machine.
John

Offline Pete.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 05:55:07 PM »
I once saw a vertical bandsaw modded from a horizontal one. All they did was mount the whole top vertically on a stand and made a table for it. Might be an easy cheap option for you if find a used bandsaw - and you can get rid of the troublesome guides in favour of ones that don't need to twist the blade.

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 03:59:31 AM »
Paul - not strictly washing machine pullies, but these pullies were on Stevo's site recently and I wonder if they might suit?

Dave

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 04:53:43 AM »
Thanks guys, thought this might excite a few. I stripped my old machine a couple of years ago and when i saw all the a aluminium it went straight in the pot  :doh:

It was not afterwards that i thought about the use for blade wheels. The one on my old machine was about 17" but now found out they switched to plastic so would not want to risk trying to find one of then. Ideally i would want a pair the same and the would need to be flat belt type. I could always rig something up to shave the outside down if i had to.

I want these as big as possible as i have a 6 x 4 already and this is just too restrictive for cutting plate in a vertical position. I have not seen another one on the web made with these as well. The added bonus is they come with decent bearings as well and the majority at the drum end have a decent shaft and flange which would suffice for the top pulley.

.....just wondering if i fancy a holiday to portugal???   :coffee:

Offline Noitoen

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 10:26:06 AM »
.....just wondering if i fancy a holiday to portugal???   :coffee:

Donīt talk about it. Back to work on Monday after 2 weeks on holiday  :hammer:
I can give you dimensions. As far as I remember, normal flat belt aluminium ones are about 300mm diameter and 15 to 20mm on the belt flat. If you can arrange "pay on deliver" UPS freight, I can send you a box with a few and still ad a few decent size stepper motors. I have quite a collection from office copiers, much more than I can use. :beer:

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 05:23:06 AM »
Noitoen

Thanks for the offer but i should be able got what i need here, the plan is to build similar to a Startrite 352s sort of size. With what i have found out so far a washing machine with a large load should yield what i need. Plenty of machines come up on freecycle and mainly the popular brands so should get lucky over time. Like with all my projects i will slowly collect the parts i need and only start it once i have them all. Besides i need to get my latest mill conversion finished to make room as need to let my bridgeport go :-(

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 08:03:28 AM »
These:

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/index.php?option=com_adsmanager&view=show_ad&adid=12123&catid=2

Looked like perfect band-saw wheels to me - I don't know if the guy still has any :(

Bill
Bill

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 08:59:03 AM »
Hi Bill - that's what I suggested in message #6 above !     :wave:
Dave

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 09:35:09 AM »
Hi Bill - that's what I suggested in message #6 above !     :wave:
Dave

Sorry Dave I didn't see your embedded link :) 
Bill

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 05:15:36 PM »
Probs not the cheapest way to go but have you tried pricing up 352 bandwheels from Startrite Record as it is now
john

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 06:21:01 PM »
I think as stands at the moment i would rather go the FREE! route. If i start thinking of buying the real McCoy then i might as well buy a bandsaw, where would the fun be in that  :thumbup:

Offline geoff_p

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 12:35:01 PM »
Since most band-saw wheels are 'tired' with rubber, may I suggest just use bicycle or motorbike wheels, complete with tires.

The 'round' section of the tires gives a nice crowning to keep the blade centred, the bearings are designed for long-life at pretty heavy loads, and the rear wheel even has fixings for your drive-system.

Geoff
Thailand

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 12:44:31 PM »
Geoff i still want to go the washing machine route as it is sound. All i need to know is what size are the drive wheels on any particular machines. That will help know what to look out for on the free market. A good idea though