Author Topic: melting down brazing rods  (Read 5487 times)

Offline daz

melting down brazing rods
« on: August 12, 2012, 07:47:01 AM »
I know this will sound very strange indeed, but I have a surplus of brazing rods that I will never use. They are Rothenberger Rolot S2, 93.4% cu and 6.3 cu, 2mm square and 500mm long.
I am thinking of melting them down and turning them into 18mm rod of different lengths, 100mm max. Once done these will be going in the lathe for some turning. Is there an easy and cheap way of doing this, what should I use to make a very simple and quick mould? I have made a couple of moulds for lead before from aluminium and then just using a turbotorch to do the melting, but obviously it would have to be made out of steel as the ali wouldn't take the heat.
Is it worthwhile trying this out or would I just be better to try and sell them and use the pennies to buy what I want? I have two full boxes which retail at about £45 each so I could probably get about £35 for each but postage might be a bit expensive.

Any ideas from the whacky metallurgists would be greatly appreciated :)

daz
I'm not a complete idiot, some bits are missing!

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: melting down brazing rods
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 09:09:15 AM »
Hi
Daz
Unley you are going to get in to casting  :drool: :drool: :drool:
You would be better off selling the rods (or swapping them)
For some brass bar
You need serious heat to melt brass
John

Offline daz

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was mainly copper? When I was a refrigeration engineer we used a turbo torch with mapp gas for melting these rods to braze copper pipes together. I understand it will take more heat to get a small mould up to temp, possibly even an oxy-acetylene torch. According to the packaging they need minimum of 645 degrees C to melt them, and a working temp of 710 degrees C. I like the colour of these rods when melted, there is a bit of a reddish/pink look to them and thought they would look nice for what I had planned for them

Anybody fancy some brazing rods :-)

I might just go and stick them in the trading section and see what happens. If nobody from here fancies  them I was stick them on the bay of evil.

Thanks for your help John.

darren

Offline buffalow bill

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 12:47:49 PM »
Hi Daz,
will pm you  :wave:
Bill
Helensburgh, Argyll & Bute

Offline daz

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 12:50:16 PM »
I shall await with anticipation :scratch:

darren

Offline ironman

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 12:41:31 AM »
Just putting my two cents worth. The brazing rods I have used are maganese bronze roughly 60 copper 40 zinc and small amounts of maganese and aluminium. This alloy can be very difficult to cast because of high shrinkage.