Author Topic: What to check on a lathe before buying  (Read 3305 times)

Offline ChriX

• My wiki
What to check on a lathe before buying
« on: August 14, 2012, 02:35:34 PM »
Hi all.

I am looking for some advice on what to check on a lathe before I go ahead and make a purchase. The one I am currently looking at (which is different to when I was asking how to move in a previous thread!) is a Colchester Bantam 2000 MK2. I am told by the seller (whom I have no reason not to trust) that he has owned it from new and it has only done a small amount of work.

What things in particular would confirm this? I am not able to view under power. He pointed out that you can look at the screwheads on the bearing housings to see that they have never been out, but what else is there I can look at?

I am confident this is the right machine, but if it is the right example or not I don't yet know. I am now equipped with a 1T workshop crane (as recommended in my last thread) so am hopefully able to lift it in and out of my trailer!

Many thanks,
Chris

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: What to check on a lathe before buying
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 03:01:26 PM »
Chris

What is your location? If the members know your location there may be other members with more experience close by that might be able to go with you to look at the lathe. If you could please put your general location in your profile it would be much appreciated.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Jonny

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 03:33:22 PM »
Could be a long winded one but keep it simple.
To be honest i dont think you will find any wear, it isnt a chinese machine with little use.

Check all hand wheels move along their tracks without any loosening or tightening.
Backlash on lead screws and gibs can be easily be taken out, dont worry about that but bare in mind what would it be like if nipped up a little tighter.

More of a concern is bed wear which i dont think i will be able to demo on here in writing. Move carriages up and down and check for any loose or tight spots. May be loose at chuck end and tight at tail stock!
Whilst at it, at strategic points harshly try and lift carriage off the beds and other areas, a must. That will be wear walk away.

No use can still have breakages so check gears engage and will need to rotate the chuck to do so.

Same with power feeds, drop lever in and see if it moves. Parts are available but costly. Another sign of use is the half nut on these 600 group lathes, drop the nut in and try and move carriage back and forth, not a biggy just a sign of wear which can be adjusted out.

You may be able to feel for head stock bearing wear, just feel for any undue notchyness ignoring the straight cut gears meshing.

Personally i wouldnt care if it was mechanically sound, its a tool for doing a job not to look at.

Offline ChriX

• My wiki
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 09:00:53 AM »
Jonny thanks for taking the time to write all that. It will certainly be of help. As I said I have no reason not to trust the seller but I do like to prove things for myself.