Author Topic: Well I made it  (Read 11721 times)

Offline Scuba1

Well I made it
« on: August 18, 2012, 12:11:33 AM »
I left Torquey at 04:00 on the 22.05.12 and got here to the top of the chessapeak bay on the 11.08.12 at 21.30 having had a stop over for three week on the azores. It was a very interesting trip sailing a solo transat at this time of the year and I am going to need a few days to get my land legs back and rest a bit.

ATB

Michael

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Well I made it
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 12:17:02 AM »
Awesome! Was just wondering about you today.

Congrats on the arrival and the solo trip. Can't wait to hear about it.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 01:00:43 AM »
Michael

Congratulations. Glad to see that you have made safe. I was just thinking the other day that we should be hearing from you any day now. I'll bet it feels good to have some solid ground under your feet for a change. I look forward to hearing of your plans going forward once you get your land legs back and some rest.

This question just has to be asked.Did you get a chance to use the lathe on the crossing?

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 02:02:14 AM »
Well done Michael!  :clap:

It's good to hear you're safely, over there.......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 02:25:58 AM »
Congratulation on your safe landfall Michael!
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline buffalow bill

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 05:43:06 AM »
Congratulations indeed well done.
But is the lathe OK, what have you been making during the long boring days!!!

Bill
Helensburgh, Argyll & Bute

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 09:37:05 AM »
 :beer: Congratulations  :beer:  :clap:  :thumbup:  :clap:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Pete.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 10:48:39 AM »
Congratulations indeed well done.
But is the lathe OK, what have you been making during the long boring days!!!

Bill

Why, he made some long bores, of course!

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 12:15:12 PM »
Well done, Michael  :clap: . That's quite an achievement! Hope you didn't forget the beads and trinkets to trade with the inhabitants  :)

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »
Well done, a real achievement  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 11:17:07 PM »
Yes I did make a few things but not while sailing as the lathe is then secured to the two bulk heads it sits between but I did make a new aft bearing for my prop shaft as the one I have in there at the moment is worn and there is a bit much play in it. Just have to have the nboat out of the water when I get back to the marina in a few weeks to change them over.
I had a guest on board on my way. A swallow spent 3 days and nights with me for a rest on its way over here from Africa.
All in all, I would not reccomend to sail a west about passage this time of the year and this far north as the winds are pretty unpredictable but for me it made it all the more interesting but it sure is not for every one.
Here are some impressions from the trip.

Atb

Michael
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 11:59:32 PM by Scuba1 »

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 11:27:52 PM »
Michael

Wow, those are some great pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us. I'll bet that swallow was glad to meet up with you. Not many chances to hitch a ride out there.

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 12:05:15 AM »
Yes the little guy was so tired that he kept slipping on the life lines and hung upside down like a bat till i just grabbed him and put him on a towel inside a bucket. He rested there for a few hours and then started to fly around the boat for a while. When it got dark I went inside to cook something and he just flew in and picked that spot where he was for 3 nights. He did fly about outside during the day but never to far from the boat and came back in at night.
I had some help as well though. Here is one of my log book write ups.

MS Panthera

06.08.03:30UCT
I am en route from the Azores to the Delaware bay.
I had to run my engine to get out of the Azores high to pick up a bit of wind to go west. I had good wind for about 3 days out of Horta and then id died on me, so I cranked up the artificial wind to get a bit of head way. After about 16 running hours the motor stopped. I checked what was up with it and found that I was out of fuel. I had a leak in the diesel return line, so the engine leaked diesel into the bilge from where the bilge pump did its job and slung it out. I managed to fix the leak and drain the rest which was all of 8 litres into a canister and jury rigged some fuel lines to that canister , so that I would at least have some juice to get from a harbour entrance to the diesel dock. Now I was dependant just on the wind playing game and it did not. I had 4 and 44 knots of wind from all sorts of directions that I could not do much with, so progress was a lot slower then planned. Around 500 miles of Delaware bay I got into a calm and was drifting near the shipping lanes for 2 days. I was taking pictures of dolphins that where around the boat waiting for something like a bow wave to appear I think, when a freighter passed astern of me. I hailed him on VHF and explained my situation and if he could send an e mail to a friend of mine in the US so that they don’t get worried with me being over due and do silly things like getting a rescue operation going. The captain of Panthera said he would send that mail for me. I also asked him if he had a weather report and if there was some wind in the making. He said, that he would check it out for me and get back to me on the VHF.
A while later he got back on air and asked me if I could do 5 knots for half an hour. I said that I could but what would be the point, to which he replied that he was coming about and running his engine full astern and would come to a dead stop about half a mile in front of me if I could do the 5 knots towards his position and then he would give me the diesel that I needed and how much of the stuff I wanted. I was like struck by lightning and stuttered something like 200 liters would get me the other side of the gulf stream and he said that 250 then should get me to the coast as there was not going to be any wind for 3 days.
He did as he said and came to a dead stop with his engine running dead slow astern half a mile in front of me. He could not shut his engine down but would run it dead astern and I should come bow to stern alongside his starboard side, which I did. We passed one bow line over to his vessel and Tiki got gently pressed to his hull by his prop wash. One of his crew- member was on the top deck with a plank, stopping my spreaders knocking against his hull 3 crew where hauling out 25 litre cans with diesel and the rest of the crew was taking pictures.
I asked him how much I owe him and he said nothing and that every sailor should help another out of a pinch if he was able to. All I could do was give him the bottle of wine I had in the bilge for a special occasion. This occasion was special enough.
He asked me if I was ok for food and water and if there was anything else he could do for me while I was tied up alongside. I was out of sugar and cigarettes but I was not going to tell him that as I felt humble enough as it was. Now I am sat here and can’t sleep, like a kid on xmas eve and even the wind has picked up and I am doing 5 knots in the right direction. I now have more fuel then fits in my tank and don’t need it as I am sailing again, but its better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I did use some today to motor round some nasty thunder storm cells that were in my path. A great light display till about midnight.
I am still struck how a captain with all the pressure they have these days, keeping the their tight schedules can stop and turn around his 40.000 tonnes to help out a small sailing boat. It must have cost him more in fuel for that stunt he did with his ship then what he gave me and he has to make up the 2 lost hours it took us to get the fuel over to Tiki. He said I could keep the canisters as he did not have the time to hang around it would take me to get the fuel out of them into my tank.
Thank you Panthera is all I can say. I just had to share this with you. For me it was the highlight of my single handed west about transat.
Position 37” 09.035N 66”32.168W

ATB

Michael

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 12:29:01 AM »
I had to read that to my wife... that is a great story.

Every now and then you hear or read something about human nature that makes you feel good. This one fits that bill...

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 01:14:52 AM »
Michael

That is fantastic. It is so nice to hear stories like that. It is nice to see that some people can still bend over backward to help their fellow man. It almost brings tears to your eyes reading something like that. I guess that helps to make up for some of the terrible things we read about and hear in the news every day. Thanks for sharing your log with us.

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline Pete.

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 03:44:17 AM »
A heartwarming tale, and some great photos.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 07:34:41 PM »
Scube

where did you actually land whats your location?.  glad you made it well done and a great story to tell!!!!!!!!!!!..

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 12:33:29 AM »
I got into US waters at the entrance of Delaware bay, and as Customs were shut over the weekend, I went up the bay , through the CD canal and tied the boat up in Bohemia river. Then a friend of mine went to get me and I am now near Indiana in PA where I am goimg to stay for a while before I go back to TIKI, sort her out and then go into the caribean for the winter here.
The place I am at now is called Rural valley in Pensylvania. Nice to see deer in the garden and snappers in the pond and black bears coming up to the house to eat the stuff we forgot to take inside.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 05:01:02 AM »
Michael,

Sounds like an interesting - in all to many ways - voyage! Glad you got there OK & with such heartwarming tales to tell.

Seriously - you got straight into the US because you arrived on a weekend? No customs at all?? So much for impregnable borders....

Does that mean you have to leave at the weekend too, in case they wonder why you've got no stamp on your passport...?  :palm:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Baldrocker

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 05:05:29 AM »

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 10:00:24 AM »
When Isailed through the entrance of Delaware bay there was all sorts going on on the VHF. 4 PAN PAN calls and a MAyday, so the coast guard was pretty busy and I did not want to clog up CH16 as they were trying to fish people out of the water. So I sailed up through the bay, then through the CD canal and tied up on friday late evening in the marina then called them on Saturday morning but they don't open during the weekend. I called back early monday and they told me to check in at Baltimore customs anytime before 15;00 on tuesday and that is what I did. Borrowed a car and drove to baltimore with my paperwork and got a 12 month cruising license for 19$US when I got back the coats guard had been on the phone at the marina because I still had the Q flag in my port spreader, so I called them back and explained the situation andthat was it. they just told me to have a nice day. Started up the BBQ and got the beers out. Well its all you can do when told by the coast guard.

ATB

Michael

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 12:54:40 PM »
Michael,

How long is your stay? I would like to drive down and meet up...

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 01:14:48 PM »
I'll brobably stay at Bills place till the beginning of November then get back to the boat and go south. I am now in Indiana county Pensylvania but if you want to come down / up here go ahead. PM me and I'll give you the address

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 09:14:32 PM »
A great story Michael and shook out my old memory banks.  Two of us sailed eastwards across the south Pacific in a 32' sloop back about 1976.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 09:49:55 PM »
I got into US waters at the entrance of Delaware bay, and as Customs were shut over the weekend, I went up the bay , through the CD canal and tied the boat up in Bohemia river. Then a friend of mine went to get me and I am now near Indiana in PA where I am goimg to stay for a while before I go back to TIKI, sort her out and then go into the caribean for the winter here.
The place I am at now is called Rural valley in Pensylvania. Nice to see deer in the garden and snappers in the pond and black bears coming up to the house to eat the stuff we forgot to take inside.

Michael

I came across this link http://www.robertpence.com/pa_indiana/pa_indiana.html and thought of you. You can have a look at it and if there is anything that you are interested in you are in the right place to go and have a closer look.

Don 
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best