Author Topic: Harrogate Model Engineering Exhibition  (Read 50971 times)

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
Harrogate Model Engineering Exhibition
« on: February 13, 2009, 04:31:35 AM »
Hi all,

I just thought I'd just check in and say that I met Stew (sbwhart) yesterday and can confirm that he is a really nice chap! It was a pleasure to meet him and have a bit of a chat between his meetings!

Anyway, one of the things that briefly came up was Harrogate Model Engineering Exhibition which I've since found out is on 8th - 10th May this year. Stew mentioned that there might be a few people going from this forum so if there are it would be good to have a bit of a gathering and put faces to names.

I am certainly planning to go, have been for the last few years, this time I will have my hands full with the whole family there!  :doh:  :)

If anybody else is planning to go let us know in here nearer the time and we should be able to coordinate a gathering!  :thumbup:

Cheers,

Nick

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Harrogate Model Engineering Exhibition
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 05:35:54 AM »
I'll have some of that any date. I'll be happy to give lifts.

Cheers

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 05:45:12 AM »
If all goes well, I will be there on the Saturday.

If anyone wants a lift on the back of the bike, bring your own lid.

John

Offline Twinsquirrel

• never rub another mans rhubarb
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 03:51:31 AM »
I hope to be going, but it's a 4.5 hour drive for me so I will probably stay overnight with relatives in Skipton which doesn't look too far away.

I'm working on getting clearance now but it doesn't help that I forgot that its Valentines day today!!!

Well and truely in the dog house

David
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 03:53:59 AM by Twinsquirrel »
So many ideas, so little skill

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 04:34:41 AM »
What's valentines day?

:D
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 04:46:53 AM »
What's valentines day?

:D

It's the day you send your mill a card.. and give the lathe a polish :lol:

:ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 09:07:22 AM »
I'm sure I said this somewhere the other week ?  But anyway.... Yep, I'll be there on the saturday too (I always like to have a sunday free for playing with any purchases  :)

John,  No offence but I wouldn't have the bottle!!! I'm a bad enough passenger on 4 wheels!!

David, I'd be willing to bet that you'd get much greater brownie points if you got your laydee a special gift on any nondescript day of the year, no where near any pressured affection displaying day (Birthday/anniversary etc) ...I'd ride this storm out and surprise her out of the blue sometime!
Rich coming from a single guy ehh!?!   But I haven't always been.....    (synically adds on the end "this happy!"  :)  )   

It's the day you send your mill a card.. and give the lathe a polish

Now that's pretty damn funny Peter  :lol:  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 11:48:53 AM »
I :D :)  That is funny!

I'm taking the other half out for a meal (and I do mean the wife not the Harrison!!) But is is my Birthday tomorrow too so it's a bit of a joint thing anyway. Doesn't look like I've got any presents, I just got a funny look when I asked for an 3 Jaw SC chuck or a QCTP and said to buy it myself!

Looks like I'll aim for Saturday too then.

Nick

bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 01:04:14 PM »
It seems that Saturday is the best time to go.

Not because of the show, but because of getting there and the number of visitors

Friday is usually a nightmare on the major roads, and you get the avid buyers trying to get in first for the bargains.
Sunday, everyone is free and want to get their show closing bargains.
Normally on Saturday, the roads are reasonably quiet, some people who would like to go, have been dragged out shopping with the 'Boss'.

Harrogate is definitely the show to attend, easy to get to, no exorbitant parking charges (free), decent prices for refreshments, and everyone is so willing to pose for piccies or talk to you.

Plus if you can nail him in one spot, our John Stevenson is there to tell you all about CNC. Maybe he can give us an insight into the show, as he has all the facts and figures.

John

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 07:44:35 AM »
Saturday is the best day to attend I feel for the public.
Harrogate is getting more popular every year, according to Lou Rex , the organiser, last years gate was 24,000 over 3 days, 12,000 was on the Friday alone.
Because this is a hobby more related to senior citizens, old git's and Jerry hat tricks [ who I thought was a German fast bowler ] most are retired and want to go on the first day to get all the bargains.

Truth is it gets so crowded no one has time to deal with them, the stalls are packed 6 deep waiting to get served, the ones not in wheel chairs have massive haversacks more suited to alpine rescue, ready to remove spectacles, testicles watch and wallet but not always in that order.

As many know I help out on Arceurotrades stand, I am one of the chosen few as I actually get paid to attend the show.
Ketan, who is a very enlightened temporary employer treats his staff like royalty, whilst he drives to the show in his clapped out Vauxhall he allows me to to take the company Mercedes all on my own, no comfort is spared.
Alan gets another company Mercedes all to himself as well. How can you fault an employer such as this  :scratch:

We are looked after like royalty, to save long trips to non descript hotels miles away Ketan arranges for us to stay on site at Stalag Rex. This is a charming two story building built along the lines of the popular 1980's prison service architecture.
The spacious reception area opens out into long narrow corridors leading to separate cells sorry rooms that contain a bed frame, mattress and wardrobe sans door. To account for the high price of £7.50 per night you do get a carpet and a door lock on the inside, as I say we are looked after like royalty.

There are communal toilets and showers across the hall, ours are marked ladies but still contain 5 wall mounted urinals. A standing testament to the power of Old Peculiar as served at Old Mother Shiptons. So after a ****, shave and shower [ not necessarily in that order ] we depart for Morrisons where we are treated to the most expensive breakfast on the Menu, Full Engliish £3.75 and fight for the slice of fried bread.

Then back to the show for another day of insulting punters and robbing them.

I love this show...............

JS.

John Stevenson

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 09:42:42 AM »
I have allways gone on a friday, but after speaking to Ketan last year and a few othere traders I know they all said steer clear of friday, I am one of the people who block the isles in my wheel chair so I had better appoligise, oh as long as all the old gits with bags of metal who smack me in the face on at regular intervals  :wack:  then turn around look at you with a "what are you doing puting your head in the way of my bag of metal "  :poke: appoligise as well, I am thinking of getting a taser fitted to my foot rests , so if you start seeing heart attacks all over the place its me getting my own back,, so saturday it is for me

er sorry about the rant..

Peter   :zap:   :zap:   :zap:
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 10:09:58 AM »
Hi Peter

I like the taser idea bit like Bodica putting swords on chariot wheels

I'll be there on Saturday look forward to meeting you

Cheers
Stew

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 12:16:28 PM »
Peter,

I've got the destructions in my favorites, you've got a local electronics whizz..... What say you to two of these ready for May??

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-build-the-Worlds-Smallest-Electronic-Shock/

I can't wait to see the bu&"*rs jump    :lol:   

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

bogstandard

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 12:21:56 PM »
Peter,

If you were there on Friday last year, that was the reason I spent an hour looking for you, and saw neither head nor hair of you.

I got very strange looks from a lot of people when I went up to someone in a wheelchair, and shouted 'Hi Peter!'. It seems that everyone who was is a wheelchair was being pushed about by a lady, and because it was so warm, I thought you had taken off your red scarf.

I was there on the Saturday.

Maybe we should be a bit more organised this year.

Bogs

bogstandard

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 06:06:54 PM »
A bit of a personal disaster has hit me again, starting the back end of last week, so it looks like for this year, I can't commit myself to getting to the Harrogate show at the beginning of May.

I am feeling absolutely gutted at not being able to meet all my old friends and hopefully a few new ones as well. I was all geared up for giving the salemen a hard time and picking up a few bits 'n bobs.

It looks like my little run of good health is over for the moment, and if going by previous recovery times, I just won't be up for the journey. I don't want a repeat of the last show at Warwickshire, where I had to leave after an hour or so.

I am sure you lads that do get there will keep us updated on all the latest models and gizmos.

John

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 07:06:14 PM »
That's a bugger John, OK to drink your pint for you ?

Got to belt up to Stoke start of April to pick those two CNC's up, I'll give you a bell before I set off.
I have that 4 jaw chuck and I promised you something else I think but can't remember what it was - ahha that camera.

JS.
John Stevenson

bogstandard

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 10:13:47 PM »
Many thanks John, I wish I could be there to buy you those drinks.

At least it will be some consolation seeing you in April, being as I had to leave the Warwick show after about a minute or so of being in your company (don't take that the wrong way, no malice intended), which was the last time we met in person.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 03:55:22 AM »
John

If you start to feal better and want a lift all you have to do is ask.

Stew

bogstandard

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 04:50:26 AM »
Thanks for the very kind offer Stew, but as I told you before, unless you can stop very regularly, I can't travel in a car for any distance.

Now if you could bolt my mo'sickle seat or computer chair to the roof, and have my legs dangling down the windscreen, we would be in business.
But I don't think it would do much for the C of G of your motor, having my bulk up so high. :lol:

John

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 05:03:35 AM »
John,

Hope you do make a quick recovery, your health is the most important thing and everything else should take a back seat. It will be a shame not to see you, was looking forward to meeting you.

Nick

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 05:31:01 AM »
I could rope and sheet you to the back of the 17 tonner in whatever chair you want.
Only trouble is you will be stuck there for 4 days  ::)

Don't worry about having to stop, we'll remove a floorboard  :thumbup:

JS.
John Stevenson

bogstandard

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 07:04:52 AM »
Would a 17 tonner be big enough, and would that get me in for free for four days, with accomodation and all meals provided?

It's not the floorboard and piddling issue John, I have to straighten my back every so often, I can do that on the bike by standing up on the running boards while riding. At the moment it is getting to the standing bit that is the problem.

The wife just calls me bone idle, I have back trouble, I just can't get off it. :lol:

If you couldn't laugh about it, you would have to cry.

John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 07:05:31 AM »
John,

Here's to you  :beer: feeling better soon. Know it's a bummer when you can't even enjoy your hobby in comfort.

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Serveta150

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 05:53:52 PM »
Now Then Again,

So, just exactly what will be the arrangement for meeting-up at Harrogate on the Saturday of the M.E. Ex'?

Regards to all, Paul

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 03:18:35 AM »
Now Then Again,

So, just exactly what will be the arrangement for meeting-up at Harrogate on the Saturday of the M.E. Ex'?

Regards to all, Paul

Anyone like to suggest a time & area to meet in?

On Saturday......  :thumbup:

David.
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!