Author Topic: Bought a CNC lathe  (Read 46063 times)

Offline ibuildstuff4u

Re: Bought a CNC lathe
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2012, 08:43:48 PM »
Phil,  I don't know what locks the turret at this time.  I'm guessing that there is a gear drive inside it which could make it impossible to move with out turning the stepper motor, but when I try to move it back and forth by hand there isn't any movement or backlash which makes me think that there must be some kind of lock.  I don't plan to take it apart any time soon, but if I do I will make sure to take lots of pictures for you.

There is a switch mounted inside to let the computer know when it's in position.  Hopefully Mach 3 will be able to work with this.

Offline cycletec

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2012, 09:31:59 PM »

Thanks

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2012, 06:44:37 PM »
How about an up date???  Paul did you end up getting your machine? 

Phil,  Did you get your G 540 stepper drives?  What are you going to use for a power supply?  Do you plan to reuse the same stepper motors?

Me... I haven't done much yet still in the planning stage.
Dale P.

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2012, 06:50:07 PM »
How about an up date???
Exactly.  Geez, what could possibly be more important than getting those machines up & running?

If you're gonna just sit on em'...send em' to me! :beer:
Milton in Tennesee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

Offline cycletec

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2012, 04:28:16 PM »
Sorry been busy at work. Yes I got the G540, reusing steppers for now and trying a 24v 6.5a power supply we had sitting at the shop. I have it running but need to figure out how to set up motor settings with gear ratio in mach3. I should have time this weekend to work on it.

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2012, 06:57:26 AM »
Phil, take a look here: http://www.aquickcnc.com/tutorials/stepper-motor-calculations/  Do the calculation and multiply the result by your pulley ratio.

Have fun this weekend playing with it!
Milton in Tennesee

Offline cycletec

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2012, 01:18:34 AM »
Thanks I think I figured it out.

Offline cycletec

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2012, 08:27:21 AM »
Update .... up and running. Having issue with indexing and low rpm accuracy with the HE sensor I installed (tried thinner and wider plate), rpm not consistent under 125 rpm and will not index. Ordered C3 board to see if it will correct issue.

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2012, 06:35:58 AM »
I just ordered a breakout board for my machine and also bought a C3 board for the spindle pickup.  The wires were broke off my lathes factory pickup so I figured that the C3 board would be the best way to replace it.

I ended up going all out on the breakout board and bought a Combo board from Sound Logic.
http://campbelldesigns.net/Combo-board.php

It was a little pricey, but has everything I need in one board so there will be less wiring in the end.  The Combo board has a built in spindle speed control, four relays, and three separate power supplies so all you have to do is power the board up with 110 VAC and it provides power for all of the circuits.  If I bought the C-11 board from CNC4PC I would have needed two 5 volt power supplies and one 12 volt supply.

Now I just need to figure out if I'm going to go with a toroid transformer or switching power supply for the stepper drives.

Dale P.

Offline cycletec

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2012, 05:50:16 PM »
Dickeybird, can I ask what settings you are using in mach3 for indexing? With the HE sensor I was using the rpm reading was correct to the built in gauge and I could see index light in Mach while turning by hand  but at any speed  higher than hand speed light was not consistent (can you see the light in the diagnostic screen change with the spindle running), I ordered the cnc4pc c3 card thinking I had an issue with sensor and still have the same issue. Followed the instructions in Mach on the size of the slot and double checked everything still no good. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Phil

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2012, 10:52:09 PM »
Sorry, I just now saw your question and I'm about to collapse into the rack.  A long, long day.

I used the info that came with the C3 to size the hole in the disc instead of what Mach says and didn't have much trouble.  Are you trying to control the speed via Mach or just read rpm at this point?  Here's a few screen captures of my setup.  Hope this helps if not I hope to have more time tomorrow night.  My brain is gone.

edit: Seems like I had trouble with debounce...note the Gen screen debounce settings.

Good Luck!
Milton in Tennesee

Offline cycletec

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2012, 07:50:38 AM »
Sorry, I just now saw your question and I'm about to collapse into the rack.  A long, long day.

I used the info that came with the C3 to size the hole in the disc instead of what Mach says and didn't have much trouble.  Are you trying to control the speed via Mach or just read rpm at this point?  Here's a few screen captures of my setup.  Hope this helps if not I hope to have more time tomorrow night.  My brain is gone.

edit: Seems like I had trouble with debounce...note the Gen screen debounce settings.

Good Luck!
Thanks, I'm having an issue getting indexing to work, in diagnostic screen if I turn the spindle by hand the index indicator light in Mach flashes as expected but at speed its not consistent. Running a thread code it will not start cutting the thread, spindle starts and both axis get to start position and stays there I think its waiting to get an index signal. Have you tried to do any threading? Phil

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2012, 08:29:04 AM »
No, haven't done any threading yet but will need to fairly soon.  I still have to turn on the synch function.  I do have a dead accurate spindle RPM readout and can control the speed with M3/S word commands.

Does your spindle speed DRO indicate the correct RPM?
Milton in Tennesee

Offline cycletec

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2012, 02:29:31 PM »
Its close to the one built in from 75 rpm up and I can control with the s word command. I would think if the rpms are correct index should work. I dont understand why when looking at the diagnostics screen I cant see a flashing index light when spindle is running it flashes randomly.

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »
Seems like I read somewhere that the flashing light might not be a reliable indicator due to screen refresh issues??  It also might be an issue with Mach Turn as I've heard it has a few problems in several areas; especially in threading & constant velocity.  Might be worth asking over on the Mach forum; there are some smart people there.  I spend a lot of time ther asking ignant questions and they haven't thrown me out yet!

I haven't looked at my diag screen yet but will try to do so this weekend.  Gotta try some threading tests soon too!
Milton in Tennesee

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »
So what happened to you guys?  Way over a month and no updates!

Did the cops arrest ya'll and throw yuse in jail for stealing?
Milton in Tennesee

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2012, 04:46:53 PM »
Well,  I got stuck working on some other projects.  I have a 15 year old nephew that is building his own speakers and wanted to know what he should use for an amplifier.  I said if you going to build the speakers why not build the amp too!  So we made up our own PCB board for a 125 watt amp at 8ohms and are in the process of soldering it all up.  The amp design is a NMOS 200 and can be seen here.
https://sites.google.com/site/quasisdiyaudiosite/nmos-series/nmos200-1

Here are some pictures of the PCB board that we made.  After etching the board you have to drill and de burr all of the holes!
Along with the pictures is a mono amp that we made and have 90% soldered up, and are waiting for a shipment of parts to complete the board.

I started building a control box for the lathe and should have the funds for the stepper drives after christmas and will be able to work on it again.  After the amp project I'm toying around with the idea of building my own stepper drives, but may just buy some that are ready to go.  Winter is here and it's cold in the garage so I may have to find a friend or two to help bring the 300 plus pound machine on to the basement to work on it. 

How is your machine going?  Have you turned anything cool on it yet?

Dale P.

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2012, 11:34:57 AM »
You didn't build a backyard power station to power up the amp?  Kids just don't know how to do stuff these days! :D

Seriously, that's some great work you're doing and passing your skills on to your nephew as well.  Awesome! :beer:

Haven't turned anything much with mine yet.  Still wading through optical home switches mounting, hookup and configuring.  I muddled my way through hooking up an optical sensor on a slotted disc on the X-axis stepper motor with a microswitch at the end of the axis travel to enable the opto.  That allows it to home to a particular point at the stepper rather than the axis itself.  Should be a very accurate X home that way.  Can't measure any variation at the axis at all.

Then on to tool tables & offsets.  I'm dreading that hurdle.
Milton in Tennesee

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2013, 11:22:47 PM »
Ok, This weekend I built a stand for the lathe and am going to bring it into the basement tomorrow so I can start working on it again as it's too cold in the garage.

I ended up going all out and ordered two new stepper motors with 280oz of torque to replace the 150oz Z and X axis motors. I also bought three LeadShine DM856 digital stepper drives.  The drives will handle 70 volts and 5.6 amps and claim to run smoother, cooler, and quieter than analog drives so hopefully the extra cost for them pays off.

What I really need now is a computer and software.  I may just pick up an old Pentium 4 off Craig's list for $50.00 and run the Mach 3 demo until I can raise some more funds to purchase the software.

I should have some pictures posted by the weekend of the progress.

Dale P.

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2013, 12:27:01 AM »
Here is the quick stand I put together for the Lathe.  It in on wheels so I can move it around as my shop is really small right now.  Some day I will paint it and put some doors on it, but for now it will do just fine as a bench to hold the lathe.

Fedex left me a note saying that they tried to make a delivery today, which means my stepper drives have come!!!  Looks like I will have them by tomorrow.

Dale P.

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2013, 02:57:59 PM »
Ahhh, forward progress with your project; great! :clap:

I'm anxious to see how those Leadshine drives work out for you.  I want to get at least one drive with more grunt to go on my Z axis before too long.

Make sure & get a PC that already has a separate video card.  Mach is much happier that way.

I used the trial version of Mach for quite a while and it worked fine but won't do threads until you get the license.  Look around a bit before you pull the trigger as some sources have it a little cheaper.  Also check into the newer v4 as it's touted to be better in lathe operations...whenever it finally comes out.
Milton in Tennesee

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2013, 10:43:37 PM »
Ok, so I'm 99% there!  I just need a computer to run Mach 3 as I run a Mac in the home office.  I should have a PC by Sunday and have the lathe fired up!

Wiring is all done.  I built an entire control box, replaced the Z and X stepper motors, and rewired all of the limit switches.  Here are some pictures of the finished control box.

The last picture shows the locking mech on the tool changer.  I watched a Youtube video and see that the tool rotates past the location it needs to be and then turns backwards to lock the tool in place.  Reading the instructions for Mach 3 I just learned that they don't have a provision for a tool changer, just offsets for different tools.  For now I will have to turn the turret by setting up hot keys on the key board and just jog the stepper motor manually.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Dale P.

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2013, 03:21:46 PM »
Very nice, neat & tidy.  I love neat & tidy! :beer:

Do some searching on the Mach support forum.  You'll find several threads where toolchangers were set up & working well from within Mach.  It requires clever programming of macros (I think that's what they're called) by folk that understand programming & such.  (Not me!)

I remember seeing a couple threads where people asked about doing exactly what you're trying to do.  They were given some code and were able to get their's working.

Keep up the good work!
Milton in Tennesee

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2013, 09:10:51 PM »
I will have to take a look into Macros and see what it takes to program the turret.  For now it should be easy enough to jog it into position with a hot key on the keyboard. 

My bother is selling me a PC for $50 and it has a full version of Mach 3 already on it!  He is stopping by on Sunday so hopefully I will be able to make some movements by the end of the day.

Now I need to find a CNC mill and possibly a CNC router.  I will build the mills control box separate so it can be shared with a router instead of buying parts for two control boxes.

Dale P.

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2013, 10:47:57 PM »
So my brother dropped off a computer on Sunday with Mach 3 already loaded, but when I went to hook it up I realized that my parallel port cord didn't have the right end on it!  :hammer:  After trying seven different stores I came to the conclusion that no one stocks this cord any more and had to order one on line.  Hopefully the cord will come by Friday so I can finally try out the lathe.

The good news is I can plug my computer directly into the stepper drive using a serial port cord which is used to program the stepper drives via software that came with the drives.  With this software I'm able to jog each axis and test them out.  What I was able to find out is that the new stepper drives and motors have TOO much torque and will have to get turned down.  Running just 1.5 amps through the motor made the Z axis so powerful that I wasn't able to stop it from moving no matter how hard I tried.  I shouldn't ever have issues with loosing steps.

Dale P.