Author Topic: Annealed copper pipe  (Read 5299 times)

bogstandard

Annealed copper pipe
« on: February 14, 2009, 05:10:51 PM »
I see over on HMEM that some chappie from the US is looking for copper pipe.

This is who I use in the UK, and it is real nice quality, designed for use in cars braking systems, with a very good bursting pressure, so is ideal for our steam lads. Plus it forms up beautifully.

It works out a great deal cheaper when you buy in bulk. Especially the last time I ordered 10 mtrs of 1/8", they sent me 30 mtrs instead, for the 10 mtrs price.

http://www.airlines-pneumatics.co.uk/webcat/Detprod.asp?ProductCode=S080023

4mm and 5/32" are classed as the same size.

They are also very cheap for brass airline fittings. I purchased all the ones for my shop from there.

John

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: Annealed copper pipe
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 05:53:05 AM »
I will add this here also. Since they do have an assortment of materials and fittings.
I have 1/4" copper it was real common in, in the wall air lines with soldered fittings for building temperature control, It is also used as potable water lines. Along with the sweat solder fittings. It comes in K and L type/pressure hard line style pipe. The 1/8 is tubing coiled but they still have solder type fittings for it. Again it is used in air and potable water.
I will have to find the 1/4" fitting I have the pipe was in 60" sticks. the 1/4" was of a non bendable normally. The 1/8" was normal tubing.

It was sold by refrigeration and pneumatic building control supply shops.

But if you want to look and see what is available, Check out McMasters-Carr
They have all the pipe and fittings. In copper, aluminum, brass and iron in 1/8" and up.
http://www.mcmaster.com/index.asp

Sorry to say they are no longer sending to Canada.

Just checked the MSC direct and they have the 1/8" solder fittings and my understanding is they still ship to Canada.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 06:21:36 AM by PTsideshow »
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 12:34:02 AM »
Um. Question....

John, are you using copper lines for your shop air?

I may be missing the reasoning but why wouldnt you use the PVC sprinkler style pipe? From cold air cracking the lines possibly?

Scott
SPiN Racing

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 03:28:02 AM »
Yoy have it slightly wrong Spin.

The copper pipe is for use on the model engines a few of us make.

When my shop airline goes in, I already have the braided pipe and brass fittings for the whole job.

John

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 06:09:25 AM »
HA HA HA HA Ok  :doh:

I was thinking... of all the sho airlines running along the walls and with the various air outlets... All being copper pipe!!!

I thought maybey I was missing a tidbit of information.. LOL 

But then again.. I have silly garage. And when I make a little more room.. I am planning to put a LOT.. LOT.. of air drops around the garage.
SPiN Racing

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 02:30:59 PM »
PVC pipe is not to be used for air lines, with the shatter characteristic, it gets worse the colder it gets. and the problem with people not cleaning and priming joints that can come apart at the wrong times.
The thing most people don't under stand about PVC it is a poly vinyl chloride resin, which is mixed with a filler materiel to take up space and cut down on the amount of resin needed thick profit motive!. The filler of choice currently is chalk dust! yep the same chalk dust of the white cliffs of Dover fame, and the bane of many a school child.
If you check with the makers and sellers etc. I haven't found one that would say use it. Despite the  labeling on the pipe. Which is Lab conditions (perfect conditions for a limited amount of time.

The biggest problem is catastrophic failure which it (PVC) is prone to. In the pneumatic temperature control, It was lead pipe, which was then replaced by copper pipe rigid, not tubing. Which again been replaced by Plenum tubing, classified for smoke and flame NFPA 90A

You would be better off using air hose mounted to the rafters with clamps every foot and tee fitting drops.

I had PVC hard piped air line, and had a catastrophic failure twice. Before I removed it, first time the end cap line tap with coupling blew off and put a good dent in the wood joist. At about 100 psi. The second was mid line that shattered and sent sharp PVC shards everywhere. I removed it and now use hoses.

The other problem with it is if you file a claim against damage or injury with you insurance company they will void you policy and not pay the claim.

I'm not interested in starting an argument, with any proponents of Plastic pipe air lines. It is not a good idea.
black pipe, galvanized, copper, or proper sized tubing for pressure and temp. and finally hose is all better choices.

Are low destiny polyethylene air lines
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.asp great assortment of tubing and fittings, fast service and good prices. Just a 30 year customer of them! :thumbup:
glen
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen