Author Topic: Threading stainless.  (Read 15030 times)

Offline Fergus OMore

Re: Threading stainless.
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 05:56:30 PM »
Andy,
          I cannot add much to my earlier comments except to mention that the original design had no 'withdraw' facility. It simply lifted. However George Tomas came along with two retracting tool holders which apppear in his Model Engineers Workshop Manual( and also earlier Model Engineers). Cleeve's last design has a cam action to do the retracting in screwcutting.

As for others, I would suggest that both books do really complement one's workshop reading.

Today, I got a note that one of our Canadian  number has moved on to GHT's Workshop Techniques after the quoted books.

It's all good stuff despite the passage of years. I tried to publish Martin Cleeves stuff but ran into copyright issues. Another matter but there is a lot of stuff lost to newcomers who would enjoy the articles.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 06:02:15 PM »
I have no idea who came up with the idea ... not sure why it needs a debate either ...

It's a very simple tool that just works, no fuss, no mess and simplifies threading immensely ..
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 06:42:41 PM »
 Respectfully, my intention was to do  what Charles Darwin did when he researched and wrote the 'Origin of Species' Sadly, some found issue with what he wrote whilst others solved their problems with the knowledge.

If you really think that the information is not relevant, you can as a moderator, delete it.

Regards

Norman

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 01:58:10 AM »
I actually found the history of it relevant.. it pointed me into the direction of what to google and what books i need to find..
I found also a third tool in the process a "Snap-tap" swedish made tool that retracted the toolbit on a preset distance threaded.
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
I have no idea who came up with the idea

Some attribute it to Mike Cox  http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/swing-up-tool-holder.html
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2012, 03:19:23 PM »
Ah, yes,  Mike Cox .... how the memory fails to remember such details ... a very original idea that has benefited many by now I'm sure ...  :clap: :clap: :clap:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)