Author Topic: Office chair wheels  (Read 22483 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Office chair wheels
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 08:57:42 PM »
Ralph - I did cheat, I didn't actually make them myself, all I did was draw it... Once I'd got CamBam to do the hard work, all I had to do was find an easy way of centreing each disk; fortunately, I have a pointy tool, I have no idea what it's for in reality, but it fits nicely in a collet, and the point sits nicely in the hole made by an ordinary centre drill; so; stick it in the lathe, centre drill a hole, use pointy tool to align & press piece onto parallels, clamp in vice. Job done  :coffee:

winklmj - Hmm, drifting.... I'd need to somehow lock the wheels to the axles for that, for that locked-diff feeling... So, first person who can suggest a way of welding aluminium to steel? Go!  :lol:

Andy - Drifting, as you have been corrected; actually, we DO have a coffee machine in the office now, I got bored of rowing the chair all the way to the kitchen and back... now I only need to do it once a week when the machine runs out of water...  :doh:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 06:01:39 AM »
It's not skidding...it's drifting. Get with the latest craze.

OK Ade - more  :proj:

1) you need to machine a positive ultra-low-profile P7 Corsa lookalike (or maybe Yoko A001 HFR?) then take an impression, built a spin-caster and vulcaniser and mould/cure some tyres on those wheels, then ....

2) if you can't raise smoke from those, fit some of these ?

Dave  :beer:

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 05:30:44 PM »
Ahh... Knew you cheated!  :borg:

Weld ali to steel.... Erm, Loctite  :Doh:

Such eloquent use of language... "I have a pointy tool"  :jaw: "Stick it in the lathe"  :poke:  (and a few other "oooh er missus!!" moments in there too!!  :lol:)

I wonder if I can fit those smoke doohickies to my cossie????  :bugeye: :proj:   :lol:

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 06:39:22 PM »
So you need to weld steel to aluminum? Here are a few ideas for you then.

http://www.gizmag.com/honda-steel-aluminum-welding/24096/

The first process is one I had never seen before. I still prefer the second method... the neighbors.... not so much.