Author Topic: Meeting Members of the Board  (Read 5538 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Meeting Members of the Board
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
Had the pleasure of meeting Roger (rleete) Sunday. He came out to see my disorganized mess.....I mean workshop.

He thought I should have been older, since he made that comment a few times. So I need to ask, does my typing make me look old?  :lol:

Anyway, we had a good time discussing all sorts of things.

As Bog's told me, now when you read the persons message that you have met in person you can put a face with that message.

Great meeting you in person Roger. Now I need to see your shop. (sounds like I'll show you mine if you show me yours).

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Meeting Members of the Board
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 10:53:28 AM »
Damn, you beat me to it.  Didn't get a chance to be on the computer yesterday.

So, I met Bernd and his wife Sunday afternoon.  It was a beautiful day for a drive, and he lives about 40 minutes south of me.  Very nice people, and we chatted for several hours.  He showed me all his machines (including one monster of a drill press), and parts to several engines in progress.  Yes, I did think you'd be older; when I think retired, I picture cranky old fart. 

His shop encompasses the whole basement, which is larger than my entire house.  It's filled with all sorts of interesting stuff, and enough lumber to build a garage, at least.  He has a small walled off area that is more in line with what most of us would consider a normal sized shop, which is packed to the gills with tools, trains and books.  He has more machines than any one person should be allowed, and many projects (both hobby and more practical stuff) in various states of completion.  He still does not have the kitchen cabinets done!

Thanks for having me over, and I hope the bread turned out okay.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 01:41:14 PM »
Thanks for having me over, and I hope the bread turned out okay.

Nope it didn't. She said that she "wong" (is there such a word or should it be "winged it")it again. You know alittle bit of this and a little of that. She thinks she used to much flour. Boy I thought I had her trained after 19 years.  :lol:

Yup, Roger hit it on the head with that description of my shop. So I don't need to add anymore to this.

Now the other part. Sometimes I'm cranky and sometimes I feel old, but I fart all the time.  :lol:

Glad you could finally make it out to my house. Now, if and when you get your engine done I'll come over for a visit. So get cranking on that engine.  :D

Bernd

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 08:41:45 PM »

He thought I should have been older, since he made that comment a few times. So I need to ask, does my typing make me look old?  :lol:

I thought you would be older too!

:lol:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:11:39 PM »
Hey Roger... didn't you think he would be bigger too? I figured he was a tank after moving that mill into his basement!

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 10:20:21 PM »
All right you guys. I'm starting to get a complex here.  :(

But I can live with that. I like fooling people. Just wish some of my ex-girlf freinds would have thought of me that way, older and bigger.  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:

Bernd

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 10:34:34 PM »
Bah! Complex? We don't need no stinking complexes here!  :headbang: You who moved a huge ass mill almost single handily? Completes projects in the time it takes me to even think of one? You sir, have no reason to have a complex.  :D

In fact it should be the other way around! I should have the complex.  :wave: No disrespect meant.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 10:45:47 PM »

In fact it should be the other way around! I should have the complex.  :wave: No disrespect meant.

Eric

Non taken. This is all in fun.  :headbang:

When I don't answer back on a comment then you'll know I took it wrong.  :D

Bernd

bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 03:09:18 AM »
Now I know why he kept disappearing from view when we had a Skype chat.

Bernd kept falling off the pile of telephone directories on his chair. :lol:

But as they say, the best things come in small packages.

Overly large Bogs

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 10:31:14 AM »
Slippery little devils those phone directories. :D

Perhaps I should mount the camera further down so you can see me when I fall to the floor. Better yet a wide angle camera.

Bernd

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 12:48:12 PM »
Instead of a whole new topic, I thought I'd bump this one back up.

Bernd came to visit me yesterday.  He saw my relatively small and messy shop area, and I talked his ear off for a couple of hours.  I had the pleasure of seeing his HUGE (but still messy) shop back in February, and meeting his wife.  This was the reciprocal visit.

We both agreed that we have far too many unfinished projects going on at once.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

bogstandard

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 02:18:28 PM »
It is always better if you can get the occassional visitor.

We tend to lead very solitary lives in our own little castles, and the odd visitor really does spur you on to get things done, and catch up on th latest news.

Off this site I have a couple of fairly regular visitors, and the odd ones who have dropped in.

I think Mal likes the visitors as well, as she never stops beating her gums when they turn up. In fact, when Ralph turns up it is choccies for him, and here is me rooting around for a grotty broken biscuit. Just joking of course, we save all the hard ones for when Ralph calls, they are the ones with teeth marks (or gum marks in my case).

It is such a shame that most of us live so far apart, meeting someone face to face is a wonderful experience. That is why I like to keep in touch using Skype. It is like being in the same room with them. Even Bernd, in his grossly oversized shop, is welcome.

Bogs

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 02:30:45 PM »
I can not tell a lie.... I do have a bit of a sweet tooth  :)  Oh, and I can talk for hours on end about all sorts of stuff!!!   :lol:

Yep, it's fun to go visit people.... I've been so busy this summer that some possible visits have been ajurned..... Winter will allow some of them to happen.... Cold but free time rich in the winter months  :thumbup:

One day I might get that Skype thingy set up..... One day!

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 05:55:21 PM »

It is such a shame that most of us live so far apart, meeting someone face to face is a wonderful experience. That is why I like to keep in touch using Skype. It is like being in the same room with them. Even Bernd, in his grossly oversized shop, is welcome.

Bogs

Aw shucks Bogs. It's not that grossly over size, it came with the house.  :lol:

It sure would be great if we did live closer together. Can you imagine the things we could build?

Bernd

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 06:02:58 PM »
Instead of a whole new topic, I thought I'd bump this one back up.

Bernd came to visit me yesterday.  He saw my relatively small and messy shop area, and I talked his ear off for a couple of hours.  I had the pleasure of seeing his HUGE (but still messy) shop back in February, and meeting his wife.  This was the reciprocal visit.

We both agreed that we have far too many unfinished projects going on at once.

If you didn't have a messy shop I would have thought something is grossly wrong with you.

As the saying goes: "A clean shop is the sign of a sick mind."  :D

I did get to play with Roger's Plastic Finger Engine.

Then it was out to the garage to see Roger's other projects.

A 1/4 or was it 1/5 scale Sherman tank that he had started.   :bugeye:

All made out of plywood up against the wall so he would have room for that Mazda Miata (SP?) he's souping up.

Talk about to may projects and not enough time or money. Oh well, guess that's what keeps us young. Right?  :lol:

Bernd