Author Topic: Some mill mods  (Read 5215 times)

Offline revwarguy

Some mill mods
« on: September 15, 2012, 08:24:02 AM »
Last year I bought a used Rong Fu mill in neglected condition, and have now cleaned it up, and added a stand, a light, 3 axis DROs, and an X axis power feed.  Its picture is below, but a description of all of the mods is at www.liming.org/rfmill if you are curious.  Also, I adopted a "rescue" bandsaw to cut some metal and made some mods for it as well, shown below.

So, any ideas about what else I could do for it or the saw?  :dremel:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Some mill mods
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:40:44 AM »
For the band saw...

I took mine off the flimsy stand and pit it on something different. I bought a CART from HF. Took the top tray and flipped it. Mounted the band saw to that. I also removed the castors on the handle side and replaced them with a block (so the cart couldn't move unless I moved it)

Works great! Now the saw is up higher and I have selves for stock.

I also plan on making some work holding items. Make it easier to hold sort or odd shaped items...

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline revwarguy

Re: Some mill mods
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »
I took mine off the flimsy stand and pit it on something different.

I hear you - I found that once the stand was bolted to a base it firmed right up, and I love that it is higher as well.  Just placing the casters out from under the bottom of the unit settled it down quite nicely, even when cutting in upright position. (What were they thinking?) 

I have a need, though, that just about all tools in the shop must be able to be easily moved, and chalks for the casters seem to hold it in place well enough.  The CNC table and the stand for the mill are the few exceptions from having a mobile base since the mill can have movement that I  believe would make using casters unsafe.