Author Topic: Peck Drill  (Read 30040 times)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: Peck Drill
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 11:02:14 PM »
Now that's what ball turning the tool is real good at..... very pleasing curves...... in your handle Scott   :thumbup: 

Just from the scale of that in your hand I can see this is going to be a monster of a peck drill!!!! (either that or you have tiny hands!!??  :lol:)

Interesting place to store your chuck key too!!  :bugeye:   (I know, it was a handle for the job at hand  :thumbup:)

So where's this chunk of brass??  :)

Ok here is the idea for the re-located pivot.

Adds some work.. but allows some more strength in the assembly. And also will allow some additional stroke to make sure I utilise the entire range of the slot.. (yes I already calculated the pivot points and the stroke for the thing.. and it will go max length... Anyhow... Input always welcome.

If its overkill.. lemme know! LOL
And as John said....  :worthless:        :lol:

Hey Ron!!    :wave: 

Is is possible for me to get a copy of Diveded he ads plans?

Ron

Well it's a long and drawn out process Ron.... Are you sure you want to go ahead with it?? 

Firstly you have to ask me nicely.

Secondly you have to supply me with your e-mail address.

Thirdly you have to open your mail!!   :)

The only two thigs I ever ask are :

1/  Please show me the pic's of what you make.

2/ If anyone wants the drawings from you that you ask them to ask me directly. (I don't often bite.... and rarely refuse to help  :) )

Not too much to ask is it??

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2009, 04:51:35 AM »
Woo long day.

Didnt have a chance to work on things.. BUt I did go to the Holy Grail.

FIRST!!!!

A LoC  :worthless:

Thats what Im thinking of.. Im actually re-doing the real auto cad to do the math on the throw.. to make sure it will go far enough etc.

Picked up the chunk of Brass for the handle. Thing is.. they didnt have 1.5" diameter. Soo I had to get brand new brass. 6.15 a pound.
I also went to the tool place.. got a 0-1/2" drill chuck for the peck drill.
AND...HSS Dovetail cutter 60 degree, 1-3/8 diameter. SO that will go with the bar of 1"x3" by 24" long steel I bought.. so I can make more tool holders for the lathe  :proj:

ANNNNND
THe Unobtainium 5/8-16 Taps arrived!!!!  wooohooo

SO now I THINK I have all the parts to make this thing work. Now I just need to assemble it.

Pics to follow!!!!  (And yes.. will update on the whole.. concept of the mount thing.. if I think I need it. Space wise.

Scott (Tired with a ton of irons in the fire)
SPiN Racing

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 05:43:25 AM »
OK I gae it some time in Autocad..

Looks like I dont need to make the pivot out the top of it.

Here is a drawing I made.
It shows the handle with its slot cut in it. From the centerline of the shaft, downward.
With a .25 drop from the top of the larger body, and a .25 shaft, it will rotate and give me 1.4 inches of drill travel. SInce its a pecker.. it should be more than fine.

Anyhow here is the cad clip. (the rings are the travel arcs btw.. this is a side view.)

SPiN Racing

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 08:06:49 AM »

Hi Ralph, sent you a PM.
Ron

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 08:32:06 PM »

Got it Ralph. :thumbup:

When I have any progress on it to report I post it with pics.  :proj:

Ron

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2009, 02:04:53 AM »
TIME for an update!!

I have a slew of pics I put up on Imageshack.. so I will put them in. THings that happened over the busy weekend, and I just now have a chance to make a post with the detail LOL.. Or some of it.

OKEY Here we go!

(Yes Lots of Pictures)  :worthless:

Chunk O Brass, freshly purchased from the Holy Grail... and since it wasnt a Drop it was $6.15 a pound for 1.5 Inch diameter. 1 POUND per 1.5 Inches. So yeah.. 12+ dollars for this 3" piece.. (OUCH)
But the guy didnt charge me for the cut, and gave me a deal on the other metal I bought so it all worked out.

Drilled a hole prior to Tapping it

Tap Tap anyone there???

That right there looks to be 1.5 or so.....

UGG.. me make ball that is square.

Chunk of threaded rod previously turned down for different things.. with smaller new shiny threads!

Hokay.. here we are ready to spin it up and make a mess from the brass! (Man that stuff is messy compared to steel and stainless!)

Zipping off the corner

Like cutting balsawood with a 1/4 inch die grinder!!

Getting there... need to slow down the speed of swings, and depth of cuts.

Coolant (WD40) not just for cooling... but to keep the samn Brass Sand from landing on my arms when Hot...  I should tell myself to put the damn shield down.

Pretty Round I think...

Scotch Brite anyone? (about 1 minute or scotch brite)

Ohhhhhh Shiny!!!!  about 3 minutes with the polisher.

OK now..

Need to make the hole in back larger so I can tap the thing with my new shiny 5/8-16 Tap :)
But there is no chart I could easily (im sure its out there) find to tell me the size to drill it to, so it would tap properly.

Sooo I bored it slowly larger until I had the tap in it, and the cut threads in the taper of the tap were just entering the hole. (This was like 15 tiny boring passes later... pun Intended)

Live Center.. Plus tap.. plus tiny wrench plus hand turning the chuck=Tapping away.

You can almost see the threads in that hole..
I forgot to take a pic with the arbor in it...
cause... well... I was very irritated.
The arbor is threaded crooked...... YES I was warned of that. It was crappily made. SO once it was screwed in it wobbles at the tang a good QUARTER OF AN INCH.
Its sooo mal-cut you can roll the arbor on the table and the threaded shaft wobbles around.

More to come once I have time to breathe!!
Scott
SPiN Racing

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2009, 05:22:37 AM »
Oh dear!  :jaw: No pics are working!  :hammer:  :doh:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2009, 05:31:07 AM »
Work fine for me Nick?

Nice big clear pictures showing good detail......nice work there to Spin....

Brice of brass is frightening isn't it  :jaw:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2009, 06:41:29 AM »
Think the problem is at my end so no worries!  :scratch:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2009, 09:29:33 AM »
SPiN,

Nice job on that ball truning. :thumbup:

My first ball didn't turn out that round, it was more of an ogive(sp?).

I like turning brass better, it doesn't have the curly swarf like steel does.

Hey, again nice job on that ball. By the way get yourself a Mchinery Handbook. In it are formulas for figuring out the size of drill you need for taps, plus lots of other machining info.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2009, 01:35:31 PM »
Wow, that ball is pure class! It doesn't even look like it was turned now!  :bow:

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2009, 04:59:23 PM »
THANKS! Guys!

Sorry its taking so long. It seems I have a project for SWMBO tomorrow when I get up... so I may not be able to get into the garage till late, or even Friday :(

BUT.. Next step..

Drill the pivot, and slot the shaft, and umm cut down the end of the handle to fit inside the slot in the shaft.
And of course make some screws of some sort to keep things in place...
brass bushes for the nose and pivots.

If I could figure how to do it, I would put a bushing on both ends of the drill shaft. But I think I may just go with one longer bushing... Im thinking 1.5 inches or 2.
I think I wil lap the parts before doing the bushing so the shaft is "ground" to fit LOL.
<jots not to buy lapping compound next time past the automotive store>
SPiN Racing

Offline malcolmt

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2009, 08:40:08 PM »
HEY Spin

Don't know what the problem is with everone else ?????  I can see your ball quite clearly.   :bugeye:  :bugeye:  :bugeye:

HE HE HE !!!

Malc

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 06:21:49 AM »
WELL Sorry for the delay.. I went ahead, and got some shavings created tonight.  :dremel:

FIRST..... THank you for the suggestions on getting the tool body mounted properly.

I used the Bogs method, and as suggested it was a snap. (Doddle?  or Dottle?)

First mounting it was a little bit off.. so then I adjusted it sightly.. and VOila it was dead nuts on. 4 pics to show LOL..  :worthless:

Next step for me was to make sure I drill it in the proper spot. The slot is 2 inches wide. The end of the body portion was .8 inches. Sooo I needed the hole 1.8 inches inward to get to the right spot.
Wobbly Edge finder

Wobbly in use

Next up needed to move inward after finding the edge of the vice jaw .314 so that I was in the proper position for drilling the pivot. ANNNNND I measured it twice....... and went .414  :doh:

Here I am making a flat spot with a end mill before drilling it.

Drilling the pivot

Drilling the access hole so I can get into the center to put the bolt in.

Widening the non-tapped side to .25.

Tapping the hole for the pivot. 1/4-28.

Drilling AND Tapping the shaft the chuck will mount to. BEFORE I CUT A SLOT IN IT!!!!!!  (I can be taught)

Here we go... stuck a very tight fitting Allen wrench into the hole (I check to make sure it wasnt bent first with a machinists ruler and light) and then used my dial indicator in the mill to make sure the hole was at a right angle to the incoming slot.
Then Used a .25 mill to mill the slot in the shaft. I plunged in about .1 or so.. while cutting sideways.. so it wasnt a complete plunge cut. I find it cuts a slot a lot easier if you are moving sideways while slowly deepening the cut. Then I make a pass back across the slot making sure its the right length. Then repeat getting deeper with each pass.

And here are both shafts... I need to now cut down the lever so it fits into the slot, and is ready to do its work.
Going to have to make myself some jaws I think, so I can hold the hex in the vice properly. That or I may just chuck it in the mill and take the points off the hex. and then lock it in like that. Need to ponder it first.

If you notice.. the shaft that is slotted.. is now all galled.. and has some scratches in it.
I decided to be slick and LAP the shaft with lapping compound.
It was a good idea......... BUT.. I was a tad.. DUMB.  Turns out there was a tiny piece of swarf.. .and it fell onto the shaft as I was lapping it. Of course.. I was hand lapping for 5 or so minutes.. and things were getting good.
Then I decided to POWER lap it... by turning the lathe on.... worked good... nice... BIND.   Uh Oh.
Soooo then I commenced the next 30 minutes carefully tapping the shaft out with a punch.
The shaft had a nice scratch down it as did the hole.

SO then I had to commence with about 45 minutes of careful filing to take off the scratch and some work getting the hole smooth in the spot it bound up.

Now things are back wehre they were.. but it was a bear.

Next......on my list...
finish the handle.
make the bolts to hold things together..
Bore things out to have brass bushings in the handle and shaft.
Cut a JT-33 end for the shaft

Make a MT-2 Arbor with a 5/8-16 thread... as the arbor I bought for 3 dollars is not true.  :doh:
SPiN Racing

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 06:42:15 AM »
That is looking like a really nicely executed project, nice clear pic's too  :thumbup:

Bet it's gonna be a great tool to use when it's finished... :dremel:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2009, 07:40:33 AM »
Well done Scot  :thumbup: is coming along nicely

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2009, 03:18:33 AM »
Hoookay,

Sorry for the delay in posting this item.. but honestly.. I have been deep in   :proj:

The peck drill is DONE.. and what follows is a posting of the little gem now that its done.
I have been using it a TON, and actually.. I use it for almost all holes I need to drill while On the lathe.
Granted.. I discovered using it for a big 5/8 Hole is NOT a good idea.. only because the bit caught, and it spun the thing smack against the carriage. I hold it lightly, and am off to the side of things, as well as holding the handle lightly. I don’t like forcing things.. When the drill bit caught it was out of my hand before I could blink.

SO.
Be careful!!!!  I had to drill more holes, and used my 1/2” MT2 Chuck after that for the remaining hole.

BUT… enough of the health and safety speeches.. ON TO THE PICTURES!!!

First thing I needed.. was a way to hold the hex handle in the mill vice so that I could drill the hole properly on the flat. But it’s a hex… sooo how the heck do I mount it in the vice???
And as I am still new.. I thought long and hard.. and decided to make a fixture to accommodate that. Of course.. after I finished it, it dawned on me that people have those already…  :doh:

Fixture to make handle pivot:

Starting with a decently thick chunk of aluminum I put my dovetail cutter in the mill and decided to see how it liked aluminum!

As you can see No sweat.

Little cleanup with my tiny End Mill

Make it square

Voila… nice and square with a groove. What you don’t see is the pic of me cutting that in half to make two of them.

Tada!! New Tool in Use! Drilling that pivot hole.

Pivot Bolts, and Bushings

Next up to make were all the pivot and slide bolts.

Turning  a 316 Stainless rod after tapping it..

Pre-finished bolt, longer than required.

Here we have the bolt through the shaft with extra sticking out. (the additional clearancing I did in a in-between step fitting the handle and the shaft to get maximum throw. Doing this again I would have put the pivot further in and made the slot wider, as well as the bevel in the handle)

Quick spin in the lathe and the ends are trimmed down to be flush with the shaft.

Trip to the hobby shop down the road and some brass tubing was purchased that was ¼” ID. Sooo a little spin in the lathe and a little persuasion with a sharp edge file.. voila Bushing.

Handle Trimming:

Next up.. the handle needed to be trimmed in the mill so that it would fit into the slot in the shaft.
The handle was then chucked into my new V-Block thing.. and I got the edges with the edge finder, got the middle with a little math, and then I figured how far to mill into each side of it. (of course accounting for slop in things since I was cutting from two different sides, and measurements were a little fun)

Final pic of the handle with the bushing and bolt made for it.

Main body bushing:

The next thing I figured I would need, Was a bushing for the main housing. This is what I was thinking after reading about Bogs repairing his tailstock etc. I figure any vibration etc will result in wear at the end of the housing.. sooo Making a bushing long enough to support the shaft would be critical as a wear part, and also to prevent galling between the shaft of mild steel and the body that is stainless.

I started with a .99 Cent double ended gas fitting I chucked up and turned on the lathe.

After measuring the outside diameter of it I bored the main body out to slightly smaller than the diameter of the brass bushing… and to be 1/8 inch or so too shallow depth wise.

I made 5 or 6 passes without changing the lathe settings to make sure any deflection in the boring head and or lathe carriage was not leaving the hole tapered. The second pass brought our a small pile of stainless on the boring bar, and subsequent passes resulted in less with each time, until the last two were clean.

A firm press by hand got it in about half way. From there I used a 28oz persuader to help it seat properly.

Little clean up of the face and she is ready to bore.

Boring.. boring.. boring…  Man I have the cross feed at its SLOWEST.. it does cut real smooth.. but it takes forever.

Result??
Ohhh SHINY!

Taper Time!!

Sooo I needed to bite the bullet and figure how to cut a taper.
SO I listened to the posts and advice.. and did what was suggested.. Mount a dial indicator on the cross slide and adjust till you have 0 deflection.

Result??  JT-33 Taper on the shaft!

I also did the same for the tailstock MT2 taper. As the original was/IS crooked.

BLINGIFICATION!!!!

Ok could I leave it a cylinder of stainless? Of course!!  But I have some neat tools.. and here is a perfectly good excuse to use them!!!

SOo a quick change of tooling.. and the ball turner goes to work!
How about a little radius?

And lets round out the snout!

Not bad…

A little work with the polisher and here we are:

Retracted:

Extended:

NOW.. what you don’t see is my utter frustration when I tried the damn thing in the lathe… and the threaded store bought MT-2 to 5/8-16 arbor was so badly off.. that the drill chuck was off by a HALF INCH at the chuck end when retracted!!!
I then took the next day to make my own arbor, and Point thread it myself. Yep.. the first time I ever point threaded anything. And it worked.

Here it is in the lathe…

Think its Accurate enough??  That’s a ¼” chamfer with a sharp point.. and a small spotting drill. I let them touch with the cross slide not locked down and moved the lever and they stayed point to point.

End result sitting on the lathe:

I will try to compile a video clip of it working. THe shots on the mill are DARK as I didnt have a light for the mill. (Im working on that one too)

Scott
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 03:24:25 AM by SPiN Racing »
SPiN Racing

bogstandard

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2009, 03:27:43 AM »
Spin,

I am amazed how far you have come on with your machining over the last few months.

At first it was pure metal murdering, now you have it jumping thru hoops.

Wonderful end product, and many congrats to yourself for mastering the fine arts.

Bogs

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2009, 03:51:47 AM »
By `ek Scott!  :bugeye:

Hats off to you.......  :headbang:

That`s really well done!  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2009, 04:28:22 AM »
Well that was a good final run wasn't it !!

Well done, that looks real nicely finished  :thumbup:

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2009, 04:58:16 AM »
Well done that man
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You've made a lovely job of that Scot
 :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2009, 10:23:11 AM »
Nice job Scot. Lets see a video of it in action?

BTW... the styling is cool

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2009, 01:16:23 PM »
Looks like a keeper Scott  :thumbup:

Only one issue.... You made mine look bad  :(   

I'm going to have to strip and style it too now  ::)    :lol:   

Waiting for the video  :coffee:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2009, 07:19:28 PM »
Nice looking tooling you made there. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2009, 12:08:24 AM »
Thanks SO Much guys!

Working hard to get myself up to speed and be able to make things with some sort of accuracy, and finish.
I think Im on the right road with all your help.. and for that I will always be thankful.

And with my overly large pictures (re-sized a ton smaller to where they are now) and the documentation I try to pull together.. hopefully I can give some back to others!  :D

Ok now to get a clip of the drill in use!!

SPiN Racing