Author Topic: laser.  (Read 22075 times)

Offline Blue Chips

Re: laser.
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 11:39:30 PM »
Sure looks good Tweakie,

I need to get back on my laser and try again to get it to do something except looking like wood burning I used to do in the Boy Scouts.

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 12:57:23 AM »
Could you post some pictures of the machine?  I would love to see how you built it!

Thanks, Dale P.

Offline Tweakie

• Super Kitty.
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 01:49:05 AM »
Could you post some pictures of the machine?  I would love to see how you built it!

Thanks, Dale P.

My CNC machine was constructed as a wood router although it now spends most of it's time doing spindle engraving work, the laser head was added as an additional tool and it only takes a few seconds to swap between spindle and laser work.

For those that are interested my constructional details are here http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/

Tweakie.

Offline Tweakie

• Super Kitty.
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 05:25:57 AM »
Something I think I should mention here, for those that are considering Lasers, are some of the dangers involved (and this is, by no means an exhaustive list).

Whilst all machinery has it’s own particular set of dangers, with CNC in particular, the unexpected can always happen so chances should never be taken and nothing should ever be assumed or indeed taken for granted.

When using lasers there are added dangers…

Firstly and most importantly, protective eye-wear (rated for the wavelength of the laser used) must always be worn. Pets, children and visitors should always be kept well clear of the working environment. It can take only a fraction of the time it takes to blink to cause serious and perhaps permanent eye damage.

Many products worked with lasers are combustible and the fire risk is always present. An operating laser machine should never be left un-attended (even for a short period) and suitable fire extinguishers should always be close to hand and available for use if necessary.

Finally there is the unseen danger of toxic fumes and air-borne particles. Adequate fume extraction must be used at all times when a laser machine is in operation.
(Just as an example - PVC, when cut with a laser will give off copious amounts of Chlorine gas which will combine with the moisture in the air to create a form of Hydrochloric Acid. Not only is this extremely toxic for us to inhale it will also cause machine damage. Many other materials can also produce just as nasty by-products).

Personal safety is, in general, a matter of common sense but we must always remind ourselves of the old adage where familiarity breeds contempt.
The fact that we have done something 100 times without incident does not mean it is safe to do so please think ahead, live long and prosper.

Tweakie.

Offline Tweakie

• Super Kitty.
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 12:15:46 PM »
A bit more experimentation using printer toner for PCB creation.

There are a couple of difficulties to be overcome – firstly getting a thin and even layer of the toner powder onto the copper surface and secondly getting a low enough power level so as not to completely vaporize the toner. ( Note to self - don't forget to turn off air assist   )

Once these challenges have been overcome – it is a breeze.

Tweakie.

IMPORTANT - It should be noted that it is unwise to experiment with fine powders in a confined space so for any that follow please observe the necessary safety precautions.

Offline Noitoen

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2013, 03:41:31 PM »
Toner powder have magnetic properties. Maybe you can use these properties to your advantage. Electrostatic charge to the copper clad could also help.

Offline Tweakie

• Super Kitty.
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2013, 08:20:58 AM »
Hi Noitoen,

Thank you for the suggestion - that is something that I will try.

Another test with the dreaded Toner to get some idea of the possible resolution.

Tweakie.

Offline Lykle

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2013, 08:09:15 AM »
Hey Tweakie,
I went to your website and really like what you are doing.
I have one question though, which steppers did you use?
I can't seem to find the specs anywhere.

Thanks
Lykle
Lykle

Design, Build and Enjoy life.

Offline Tweakie

• Super Kitty.
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 08:31:59 AM »
Hi Lykle,

Thanks.

Here is a link to the steppers http://www.sonceboz.com/medias/produits/fiches-techniques/6600-30-v08.pdf

Tweakie.

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 08:25:59 AM »
A bit more experimentation using printer toner for PCB creation.
Could you not use the laser to cut track outlines in the copper, or would the heat be too much for the board substrate?

Then again, if your machine has interchangeable tools, you could switch to a mechanical engraver instead.  "Right tool for the job" and all that.

Offline Tweakie

• Super Kitty.
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2013, 10:50:26 AM »
Could you not use the laser to cut track outlines in the copper, or would the heat be too much for the board substrate?

My laser will not cut metals but I think it would be as you suggest - a big enough laser to cut copper would probably cut straight through the board as well.  :)

Then again, if your machine has interchangeable tools, you could switch to a mechanical engraver instead.  "Right tool for the job" and all that.

Quite right and exactly what I do. http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/circuit5.wmv

Tweakie.

Offline No1_sonuk

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 12:17:53 PM »
Quite right and exactly what I do. http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/circuit5.wmv

Tweakie.
So I saw - I had a rummage on your site after I finished reading the forum.  :thumbup:

Offline Lykle

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 09:58:01 AM »
Thanks Tweakie,
Back to the drawing board and start designing again.

Oh the joy of a good esign...

Lykle
Lykle

Design, Build and Enjoy life.

Offline Noitoen

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2013, 08:38:17 AM »
Just out of curiosity, does your laser scour glass so that it can break, like you do with a regular diamond cutter? Tinted glass in this case.

Offline Tweakie

• Super Kitty.
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »
Just out of curiosity, does your laser scour glass so that it can break, like you do with a regular diamond cutter? Tinted glass in this case.

Not successfully.

The laser engraves glass quite nicely but it does not really produce the necessary 'V' type of score that is required to achieve a nice clean break.

Tweakie.

Offline Noitoen

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 09:47:37 AM »
Thanks for the information. I wasn't really looking for a clean cut. At work, we have a machine to help recycle old tv and computer screens, separating the front part of the CRT's glass from the cone part. This is done by scouring the glass with a carbide wheel and then applying heat with a resistive tape to help crack the glass. The system is so inefficient and I thought the laser could help.

Offline Tweakie

• Super Kitty.
    • Tweakie.CNC
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2013, 05:46:22 AM »
We recently had some discussion (in another forum) where I doubted that laser produced lithophanes could actually produce a resolution equal to a spindle engraved litho but since getting hold of some genuine Corian to try - I now think that it is possible to get extremely close.

The big advantage is that the laser takes half an hour to produce a small, 0.1mm step-over, litho that may take half a day with spindle engraving.

This litho (created from a .jpg image of the Hungarian Parliament Building) is just 50mm square and I think is probably a good example of the resolution that is typically achievable using laser techniques.

Tweakie.