Author Topic: La Palma, Canary Islands  (Read 4368 times)

Offline hosinsky

La Palma, Canary Islands
« on: November 04, 2012, 05:00:30 PM »
I have been a member (passive) for several years and I think it is time that I present myself. I am retired and live on the island La Palma in the Canary Archipelago. A couple of years ago I bought a Chinese lathe, with side mounted mill, to learn something new and to realize an old dream which never had fit into the family budget.
So far I have been spending the time getting the lathe into decent shape, it was really from the bottom of the price barrel, making tools, bits and pieces needed at home, and learning. The only modeling I have done so far is a simple LTD Stirling, some kaleidoscopes and a Tuners cube.
I am alone on this island with my hobby and most of my inspiration and learning comes from mailing lists, internet, books and the Model Engineers workshop periodical.
I spent a lot of time grinding HSS bits and trying to get a nice surface on the local variant of steel, getting a fair result with time. But then I made a tangential toolholder from an article in Model Engineer Workshop and I now do practically all my work with this. It allows heavy cuts in steel and then, without changing any setup, a fine surface just by taking a light cut.  If I am too optimistic with my depth of cut the toolbit just get pressed deeper down in the holder. Facing I do with the same setup and it seems to work equally well on steel, aluminum,  brass and plastics.

The second tool which I do not know how to live without now, is a carriage stop with split cotter lock. I just move the carriage to where I want to stop, usually using the handwheel graduation, push the stop against the carriage and then lock it.

Presently I am adapting a rotary table and a toolmakers vice to my lathe-mill combination and the first thing I want to make when I have it  ready is a flywheel following the thread by bogstandard. I will probably use it for a finger engine to start. A more elaborate Stirling and a Flame eather are also on the planned.
Goran

Edit to change size. Photo's previously viewed 23 times each. Don
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 02:22:42 PM by dsquire »

Rob.Wilson

Re: La Palma, Canary Islands
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 05:09:13 PM »
Hi and Welcome Goran  :wave:

Good to see you have decided to take the plunge and post  some of our work  :thumbup:  That looks like a very well made tool holder  :clap: :clap:

Rob

Offline krv3000

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 06:14:59 PM »
hi and welcum

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
Hi Göran, and welcome. I think we have met before, on the 7x12 group.

Model engineering must be difficult on La Palma; I suppose you have to import your tools, and use whatever materials you can find on the island. Good clear skies for your astronomy, though.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 07:01:48 PM »
Goran

Hi Goran and welcome to MadModder. I see that you have been reading up on some of our older posts trying to pick up a few pointers. It's a shame that some of them no longer have the photo's attached to them for various reasons. There is a lot to be learned from some of those old posts as you have shown. If you have any questions just ask as there is usually someone around to answer or at least give an opinion.

I guess that when you live where you do you have to learn to be a bit more resourceful as there is not a ready supply of material and supplies at hand. I guess that's where good planning comes into play. We would be pleased if you could share some of your future projects with us as you have the time.

I did notice that your photos are a bit large in size (2040 x 1360) and take a while to load for people with slow connections as well a not fitting on the screen too well. Most members find that a size of 800 x 600 works well for both loading and viewing. If you need or want any help with this please let me know and I will be glad to help.

We look forward to your continued participation in the forum.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline hosinsky

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 12:34:55 PM »
Hello Don,
Can you re-size the photos I posted?
Goran

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »
Hello Don,
Can you re-size the photos I posted?
Goran

Hi Goran

I have resized them as you requested. I will send you some links that will show you how it is done. With a free program it is really quite quick and simple.

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Fredbare

• Fakenham, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 03:10:04 PM »
Welcome Goran, thanks for sharing

John