Author Topic: Almac TG Roadster  (Read 5518 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Almac TG Roadster
« on: February 19, 2009, 03:10:39 AM »

This is another car I made although this one was really a kit.   The body was polyester resin and had no steel or other stiffeners,  all floor and bulkheads etc are bonded it and it is one piece.  The bonnet top is sheet aluminium.  The full steel chassis was designed and fabricated by a professional car builder.

The kit really had everything down to the last nut and bolt.  I had to mount the body on the chassis and install the engine and mechanicals, wire it up, install instruments, make the dash, install the upholstery.  I had enough cash to do this project without unduly scrimping and it was well worth it serving as my daily car for almost 10 years running up about 130,000 miles.

The engine was a Toyota 2 litre twin cam, twin double barrel Delortos,  five speed gear box,  IRS from a Isuzu, front suspension from an Australian Holden.

The power to weight ratio was very good but the streamlining left something to be desired,  it could easily do 160Kmph up a steep road (which most traffic takes at 80 Ks) but on the flat it would not really go much faster hitting a brick wall at that speed.

The picture shows it with a hardtop but I almost always drove it without that, top down and side screens up.

I assembled it in 1989 selling it in 1999 and I have recently seen it advertised again for sale still looking very smart, in my humble opinion.

(Once again, I used the humble Fordson tractor headlamps though by 1989 I could no longer buy them new.)
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Almac TG Roadster
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:25:15 PM »
Very nice John!  :clap:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Pelallito

Re: Almac TG Roadster
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 11:17:28 AM »
John,
Great looking car. :bow:
Regards,
Fred