Author Topic: Old Shop  (Read 8907 times)

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
Old Shop
« on: January 12, 2013, 05:18:48 PM »
Hi
Lads
I found a couple of pictures of my old shop
Talk about no room

The clathe is a ML4

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Old Shop
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 04:49:00 AM »
Reminds me of my first 'workshop' - an 8x6 shed at the bottom of the garden. Barely room to do anything by the time I got a lathe in there. I had a hole in the wall to coincide with the headstock bore for longer stock! Now I've got 2000 foot plus  :)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 05:17:05 AM »
Bet you had some good times in there John  :)

Rob

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 10:34:03 AM »
John.

The word is, cosy.... I think!  :D

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline micktoon

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 03:31:47 PM »
Hi John , you are spoilt now then  :D I bet it was easier to keep warm in the cosy shed mind lol, I take the kart is the jet kart getting built  :thumbup: That is one big turbo there  :clap:

Cheers Mick.

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 09:02:05 PM »
Forget the shop, what about the cool Go Cart!  Do I see the making of a jet motor?  I would love to play around with one some day. 

I would love to see some more pictures of the Go Cart if you have any.

Dale P.

lordedmond

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 02:59:28 AM »
Google is your best friend

Stuart

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 05:37:44 AM »
That's some fearsome beastie!!

:offtopic:

Some years ago, one of my hobbies (vices?!) was amateur radio.  One of my activities within that hobby was to be antenna mast rigger for a group that took part in Field Days.  You set up the station(s) at some field location starting on Saturday morning, start operating at 13:00 and work through until 13:00 on the Sunday.  In the case of our group, the stations were powered from a single cylinder diesel generator.

Although the field location was away from home, there were usually residential houses nearby and the noise from the diesel was a problem in the stilly watches of the night when other background noise was low.

The low frequency noise from the diesel is difficult to screen or suppress and I often wondered if we should have tried to obtain a gas turbine-powered generator, for example an ex-aircraft APU, on the basis that the higher frequency noise would be easier to muffle.

I'm out of that hobby now but I'd be interested to hear members' comments and experiences.

Best regards,

Pete W.
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

lordedmond

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 06:49:23 AM »
yes used to do the same field days  as you say diesel and the dead of the night are not good  ,as is a lightning storm with a 60 foot mast up sitting in a tent at the base

as well as  contests from the club shack

I am the  same station dismantled

my calls were  G8OSK  ( b class ) and G4IJX  ( a class )

the club call was G6CW  and G3EKW

73's Stuart

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 07:55:41 AM »
QSL about the noise. Hay bails a plenty around the generator and a good set of headphones was the only answer for our club
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 08:18:23 AM »
Well seeing what you did with that small space makes me feel better! I like the wraparound L shaped bench, and I think I will do something like that to reduce the clutter in what I'm using now. It's unfortunately a storage shed for household items, with the lathe nearly buried in the center. I do have 2 stand alone benches (piled high with the machine tools I could rescue), but not a full wrap around like your shed had -- the big problem in winter is getting everything outside long enough to be able to build anything. Waiting very patiently for spring and snow melt!  :med:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Analias

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 08:26:42 AM »
I wonder how many hams we have? I've been one since 1981 when I earned my novice ticket at 14. I'm now an extra class with the call, N5FPP.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 06:09:23 PM »
Never a HAM, but a long time SWL with the usual fleet of AR80 / HRO and various Eddystone receivers over the years. Used to haunt Radio Rallies but I've kicked the habit <G>

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 05:23:03 AM »
Hi there, all,

I didn't mean to turn this into an amateur radio thread!!   :doh: 

I was more interested in the gas turbine aspect.

Where would I have gone to try to buy an APU!  Where do drag racers and speed records projects buy their turbines?

I remember that there used to be a firm of aircraft dismantlers at Hounslow (UK) whose yard was 'paved' with turbine blades.  They had a section of aircraft panel bearing the words 'Bristol Brabazon' over their office door.

Just curious.   :scratch: 

Best regards,

Pete W.
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!