Author Topic: Heavy Duty Trolley for the Lister CS 6/1 Engine  (Read 10274 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Heavy Duty Trolley for the Lister CS 6/1 Engine
« on: February 19, 2009, 03:36:07 PM »
Decided to put this in a separate thread as the engine one is getting longer by the second !!

As you can imagine the Lister engine and generator is a heavy beast. Moving it about when it's separated is a major task on it's own. But together as one unit it would present some real problems.

So whilst at a recent Farmers Auction I spotted these wheels with axles. Nice heavy duty cast iron jobbies with bearings in the wheel hubs.
Bidding finalised at a lowly £16...lovely... :thumbup:
One of the wheels was seized solid, I mean really solid. The others where quite free.

So tonight I decided to take the offending wheel off for a closer look at what could be done.

The wheel nuts are locked in place with this off center screw, had a bit of a job to realize this under all the muck !!

Bearing was driven out with a socket from behind.

This bearing was shot, it looked totally rusted up solid. But what the heck, wouldn't hurt to WD and bash it about a bit would it?
After all, this wasn't a precision application by any means, we just want it to move.
Low and behold I got it to move. Just a tiny amount, but movement non-the-less. A little while latter with lots of rocking backwards and forwards and I had it turning. Although it was somewhat notchy. Thinking a good spin would be in order I came up with this idea. I wanted to spin it, but at the same time if it jammed I wanted to keep my fingers.
I rather like them just the way they are !!!

Anyways, the idea was this, metal on metal starting with low pressure meant little friction and lots of slip if it jammed. Increase pressure and speed as things improved.

Well it worked, it did jam two or three times and there was no drama !! In a short space of time I had the bearing spinning like it was new !! Real smooth.
Back in the wheel and on the axle the whell spins nicely and even rocks backwards and forwards as the wheel is unbalanced.

Right then, now a disclaimer.
The H&S guys would have a fit seeing anyone do this. So please don't be silly enough to copy me and hold the bearing with something other than your hand  :thumbup:

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 05:07:41 PM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Heavy Duty Trolley for the Lister CS 6/1 Engine
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:05:55 PM »
By a strange coincidence, I had to do the same thing about a week ago.  Bearing a little smaller, but just as gunked up.  Damned if I was gonna spend the time or money for a new one, too.  By another strange coincidence, it was for a hand cart, like you use to move appliances.

I did it sort of opposite to what you did.  Jammed a wooden dowel in the I.D., and chucked it up in the hand drill.  First I soaked it with PB Blaster, and let it sit an hour, then, spun it with the drill, and grabbed it with my leather gardening glove.  Thump it on the ground, spray it some more, and repeat.  Cleaned up nicely.

So, how much weight can those things handle?  Looks like it could support a full size mill.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 04:39:21 PM »
Damned if I was gonna spend the time or money for a new one, too. 

So, how much weight can those things handle?  Looks like it could support a full size mill.

You calling me a tight arse !!
How very perceptive of you  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Due to the area I live, being heavy slate mining country the trolley is without a doubt for moving slate around. I guess it would have handled a least a couple of tons probably more.
To give some perspective, the wheels are 8" dia and 2" wide. The axles are 1.25".

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 04:45:14 PM »
You calling me a tight arse !!

Any ID-10-t can go out and buy a new one.   It takes talent (and a slightly perverse stubborness) to refurb something.

Oh, okay.  I'm a tight arse, too.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 04:48:14 PM »

perverse stubborness

Now where have I heard that one before  :lol:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 05:03:16 PM »
My home village. Officially it's a town but I keep calling it a village cos it's so small.

That's prob the worst direction to take a picture, (and trust me, that's not much slate, there is much much more around here) the other way is beautiful mountain ranges for mile upon mile....

Have a look here, amazing site of the area http://www.penmorfa.com/Slate/

I've been to most of the sites this chap has photographed.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 05:05:09 PM by Darren »

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 05:39:29 PM »
Darren,

Haven't checked out the site you posted. Will do that after I write this reply.

:lol:                        :lol:                             :lol:                                :lol:                         
I now know what you meant by being sick. Anybody that tries and saves a bearing like that has got to be sick.

But then I did that too, once.  :doh:

Now, your pic of the home town. One question, where are the trees? I can't even see one in the village. :bugeye:

Bernd

Now on to the link you provided.

Edited: Just quickly scanned that site. Nice country, but quite barren of trees. I'm used to see lots of trees. Still though that's very pretty country.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 05:59:14 PM by Bernd »
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 05:44:26 PM »
WOW Beautiful village.. but like.. with a mountain of slate behind it!

Are you not scared of slate slides???

I just picture California and how they have land slides all the time.. and Slate!!!  I would think it would slide quite freely.. LOL
SPiN Racing

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 06:35:47 PM »
Bernd, there are trees in that picture, seems I'll have to blow it up for your aging eyes  :lol:

But, the area as a whole does lack them somewhat, it's a mixture of altitude in the high areas and free roaming rights of sheep in the lower parts. You see the buggers nip the tips right off saplings thus never giving them a chance.

We do have woodlands around, just not everywhere.

Spin, slate generally doesn't slide very well. You'd think it would, but it's heavy and locks together. Most of those heaps have been there a couple of hundred yrs. They have done all their sliding now.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 03:00:58 AM »
Nice looking trolley Darren,

Don't worry non about being tight..... It's just the way some of us were raised. Try to fix everything before you replace it....  :dremel:

Now don't be offended but I've driven through Ffestiniog twice..... Both times it was raining (odd that for Wales ehh!!??)  I thought it was quite depressing being all gray and made of slate and all!

But those pic's show that when the sun is out it's there's some good stuff to see..... I want to see that place where the water is.... It doesn't name it in the pic?

I'll have to head that way in the week of summer we're due in about July  ::)   :D 

Are you going to replace the wood for wood or steel box section?

Just thought I'd get back on topic :thumbup:

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 04:32:39 AM »
Hi Darren

Thanks for the link to the slate industry enjoyed the photos and industry very much, Visited Ffestiniog a couple of times done the tourist things when the kids were younger, didn't realise there was so much old iron still arround.

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave: