Author Topic: Photobucket???  (Read 5756 times)

Offline wheeltapper

• Spixworth Norfolk
Photobucket???
« on: November 09, 2012, 12:30:38 PM »
Has anyone looked at photobucket lately, I just went on there and its a 'new' beta site.
Cant find a damn thing now!

talk about if it aint broke,  sheesh.

Roy
I used to be confused, now I just don't know.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Photobucket???
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 12:55:30 PM »
I was on there, scratchin me head, yesterday. It uploaded to the wrong album.  :bang:

So, I opted for the original format, which uploaded correctly.  :thumbup:

Then told em, in their enquiry box. "Completely confused....... LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!!"   :bang:   :bang:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline wheeltapper

• Spixworth Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 01:31:08 PM »
I tried to opt for the original but it wouldnt let me so I'm stuck with it.

the thing that annoys me is, the stats seem to have gone, it was looking at them that alerted me that my engine thread had been copied on another site.

Roy

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 01:38:51 PM »
Roy.
Just tried mine. It's still on the original........

David D
David.

Offline wheeltapper

• Spixworth Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 01:46:05 PM »

Well it wont be like it for long. once something changes it never ever goes back.

the really annoying thing is, with the old site if you moused over a pic you got a drop down box with the links , now you have to open the pic and look in a seperate box.

no good ranting I suppose, just have to get used to it or find somewhere else.
I've already given up on imageshack because they lost all my pics.

Roy

edited to remove silly comment.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:38:58 PM by wheeltapper »

Offline Deko

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 06:25:53 PM »
How many pics do you guys have that you ca'nt leave them on your computer, or a memory stick ???? :scratch:  Maybe there is some good reason to put them in buckets that has so far escaped me. Can someone please enlighten me. :poke:

Cheers Dek.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 06:45:16 PM »
So you can embed them at viewable size in your posts, Dek, rather than showing thumbnails which need to be clicked to see the detail, and often come out as several screensful unless you have an Imax monitor.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 03:33:16 AM »
Dec.
I hate having to stop reading, to view thumbnail pics.

I prefer to see sensible size illustrations as the story unfolds.

David D
David.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 03:47:04 AM »
Hi Dek

There are good and bad points to both , hosting the photos on Madmodder means they stay with the post , they are uploaded to Maddmoder, but it dose eat up Eric's bandwidth (costs more money) , were as hosting them on an external site dose not .

Having the photos on an external site mean photos and words can be put together , giving a better flow to the post .

Bad thing is if the external site goes down or someone takes the hump and moves there photos the thread is left meaningless.

Rob

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 05:15:50 AM »
I myself use Photobucket like many others here, but there is an alternative named Dropbox which I believe is one of the cloud-applications. I have both and they work well for me.

About the new P-bucket user interface, well my opinion is  :Doh: :doh:   where did their usability tests go? Intuitive = no, Easy to use = no, Fancy looking = yes (probably up to the lastest trend).

(My profession is SW system manager and usability responsible at work)

BR

/Peter
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 05:33:21 AM »
 :palm:  ... and of course, when I logged on to P-bucket they have changed the model once again.  :palm:

This time it looks better than the first beta version. Seems like they understood the critics and put their usability people to use after all. So less critics than my first post here.

But I still think they missed out on a couple of things.

1 - Why having to hover over a picture and then select a menu (the star in the upper right corner) to get the menu for links that we got already by hovering before? A definite minus compared with before!

2 - Why hiding the "Upload" button in the "More" menu item? Also a definite minus compared with before!

The design I donīt mind really., because it looks like some sort of Twitter-Facebook-ification based on the ungrounded thought that "all" people have accounts in both thos applications - I for one do not.

In short itīs better, but not as good and easily used as before.

/Peter
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Offline Deko

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 05:42:06 AM »
Thanks for all the replies gents. My knowledge of computers is VERY limited, but some time ago i downloaded some software to reduce the size of pics, from the "homeworkshop" site in order to place a few ad's on there. Now whenever i want to post pics, i first reduce the size to "small" then post. They appear as thumbnails,but when you click on them they appear in a reasonable size. I dont know if this means they use up Bandwidth but i would not know how to use these other storage sites, and it would seem from lots of posts on this site and others,that folk have trouble with them anyway. Perhaps as well i dont post too many pics eh! :palm:

Cheers Dek.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 05:57:22 AM »
Hi Dek

Some of the photo hosting sites can be a pain at times , i had a miss hap with photobucket  :Doh:

There are a couple of good how to's by Ralph on using Photobucket and Faststone .

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,607.0.html

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,4735.0.html

Rob

Offline stovebolt

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 06:15:46 AM »
Photobucket has become a real problem for me, slow, reeeeaaaal slow, so I started using Picasa. No ads and fast upload .  Imgur works well too, but no video capability.   Deko,  my computer knowledge is limited too, so when I have the time I just "play' with it , I eventually learn something  or give up and hopefully don't get into trouble in the process. 

Jim           

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 06:47:49 AM »
Just been on Pbucket, and uploaded one.  :thumbup:

Still in the old format, with silly advert to test my metal, in a tank........  :loco:

Pbucket videos are a complete waste of time for me. Taking much too long to upload, even during playback.  :bang:

David D

David.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 07:00:50 AM »
I went to PB to upload a photo on another forum, Found that if your move the cusor over the top right corner you will find a icon of a gear if you click on the gear it opens a media box with some other links like share media which has all the links the old drop down box did no need, to open the photo.

I will say I already like the library list on the left side with all my assorted albums on screen all the time instead of having to reload them each time you want to change albums!

And I like the fact that there are no more pages to load all the photo's are on one scrolling page. Beats the old open 10 pages looking for the photo.

It also appears to be working well with the older version of flash, and still works with the pop up and ad blocker.

There are a lot of things, I still don't care for on the bucket. But I can live with the changes so far.
 :thumbup:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Deko

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 11:02:14 AM »
Rob, the last time Ralph came to visit me he made a valiant effort to show me how to use "the bucket" but i am afraid i get a mental block when it comes to most computer activities, i think it is the language, or tecno speak that my ever shrinking brain can not understand :hammer:. I still cannot get my head around this "cut and paste" lark so i will have to carry on being mean with my pic posting.  :coffee:
Jim, Whenever i "play with it" i end up having to call out one of my offspring to put the dammed thing right again. :bang:

Cheers Dek.