Author Topic: Hi Guys  (Read 6161 times)

Offline Jo

Hi Guys
« on: November 10, 2012, 09:15:41 AM »
I am a model engineer with a passion for Model engines and Ploughing engines. I have a small and insignificant workshop that I am hoping to grow into something that I can be proud of. For some reason I have a reputation for buying castings at every opportunity, I don't know where it came from because at last count I only have just over a dozen that I have not started (ok might have made the odd piece for) :thumbup:

I should admit to having actually finished a couple of models: A 5" Baltic tank (sadly no longer with me), a Stuart 10V, a Mary beam engine, a Lady Stephine Beam engine, a steeple and a grasshopper. I am currently fighting with a double tandem compound that I hope to  finish this side of Xmas.

Jo
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Hi Guys
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »
Hi Jo

Welcome to MadModder Jo. It is nice to see you join up and we look forward to your participation in the various forums.

Some members will be familiar with your work. For those that are not perhaps you could post up some photos of some of your work as you have the time.

I have heard some good things about your "small and insignificant workshop" that you have. We would love to see and hear more about it.
:D  :)  :D
Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Jo

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 12:13:09 PM »
Well one of my recent additions to the workshop is this pantograph:

She only came with one cutter so I decided to make an adapter to allow me to fit a collect chuck. Nothing too difficult a simple threaded extension that fitted the nose of the Pantograph, with the same taper on the inside as the Proxxon collect chuck I was reusing and threaded to suit the proxxon chuck:

This is it fitted, using a dental burr as a cutter:

I need to learn a bit more about pantographs.....

Jo
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 04:10:06 PM by jo »

Offline jonesie

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 01:24:34 PM »
welcome to the site jo. i like your little panograph, do you plan on using it  for engraving or to do 2d work or will it do 3d  cutting.as a moldmaker we used the gorton panographs  quite a bit for lettering and we also used then of from a 3d model. the ones we used would go from 2 to 1 up to 8 to1. now with the new cnc's they were used for lettering mostly.  jonesie

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 02:28:06 PM »
 :wave: Hi and welcome to us

Offline Jo

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 04:08:44 PM »
welcome to the site jo. i like your little panograph, do you plan on using it  for engraving or to do 2d work or will it do 3d  cutting.as a moldmaker we used the gorton panographs  quite a bit for lettering and we also used then of from a 3d model. the ones we used would go from 2 to 1 up to 8 to1. now with the new cnc's they were used for lettering mostly.  jonesie

My model A TH is a bit basic ( but for £50 I will not complain) so 2D is the best I can hope for.

Jo

Offline krv3000

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 05:28:12 PM »
hi and welcum

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 10:12:44 PM »
Hiya Jo  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Glad to see come by this corner of the internet!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline jonesie

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 07:58:21 AM »
jo i would take a deal like that anyday of the week. there is alot you can do with them even in just 2d. wish i had it ,have fun with it.  jonesie

Offline Jo

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 11:30:14 AM »
This is my Myford S7B she is something of an old lady being two years older than myself.

As you can see she has had a hard life, for many years she was a jobbing lathe in a machine shop where some idiot managed to smash her primary casing with  a fork lift. She also had her saddle screw guide split. Myford told me this was a common problem (so why had they not fixed it?) But instead of fitting another part that was likley to break I made this replacement. The advantage being that other than strength I now have a flat surface to sit my tools on :)

The other gadget I have made for her is a George Thomas rear toolpost:

You may have noticed I also have fitted a dial gauge that presses against the rear of this post.

Jo

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 02:00:07 PM »
Hi Jo  :wave:

Hello and welcome to MadModder  :thumbup:
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 01:30:36 AM »
Hi Jo,

Just seen this posting....

Welcome to a great forum, judging by your pics you'll fit in just nicely...  :worthless:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:03:14 AM by dsquire »
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.