Author Topic: safety glasses with close-up lenses?  (Read 5727 times)

Offline bigmini

safety glasses with close-up lenses?
« on: November 13, 2012, 06:34:46 PM »
 I've been lucky until now to have been blessed with perfect eyesight. However like possibly a lot of mad modders, I'm reaching that stage in life where my eyesight for close up work requires assistance.

I'm finding it harder and harder to work with regular safety glasses. Does anyone know of a source of reasonably priced safety eyewear that comes with a close-up lens? I guess the alternative is to go with a full face shield.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
Re: safety glasses with close-up lenses?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:07:33 PM »
I have one pair of safety specs which are big enough to wear over my prescription glasses, though with two sets of hooks behind them, my ears stick out a bit. I also have some safety goggles, held on with a headstrap, and again these will fit over my specs. I've never felt the need for a full-face visor when machining

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:30:17 PM »
Bi-focal safety glasses are common on this side of the pond. Usually at the employer's expense. I would think that the same applies on your side.

Joe

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 05:43:17 AM »
Pardon me, but I thought that most specs/glasses had plastic lens/lenses anyway.

OK, I'm one of those with plastic lenses replacing my 'original' cataracts :bow: and chose to have 'distance' sight for most things and 'reading' etc catered for with bits on my ordinary plain specs.
So a bit more from 'Lessons from a Lesser Lunacy' and I wear bifocal sunglasses after my cataract ops- in any bright conditions.
The reason is simple. I was painting a Spanish wall with white paint( as one does :bang:) and went to bed. In the middle of the night( the wee wee hours :drool:) and I was looking through  two black squares! I sort of panicked a bit- thought Oh, my whatsit and woke my better half.
Happily, I wasn't going to be a candidate for 9 minutes at the local incinerator or having my plumbing further blown out or Black and Deckered :dremel: I had simply exposed my self( :lol:) to such bright sun and reflections that come in Alpine snows and deserts.

So, I have passed the warning on- and so far it has been appreciated :thumbup:

Oh, in case I have wandered- I wear a pair of surgeons binoculars in the workshop :bugeye: Courtesy of my daughter who is one of them things :bow:

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 04:39:37 PM »
Maybe focusing more on the magnification rather than the safety side of it, but I went all out and purchased an OptiVisor from these guys in the UK.  I have good slight and don`t ware glasses yet it is the first thing I reach for when I get into my workshop. Good magnification and crystal clear.
 http://www.ceramicsrestored.co.uk/headbands.htm

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 05:24:46 PM »
Oh, in case I have wandered- I wear a pair of surgeons binoculars in the workshop :bugeye: Courtesy of my daughter who is one of them things :bow:

Your daughter is a pair of surgeons binoculars  :scratch:
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 08:54:46 AM »
Yup, Dave!

Having got my knuckles rapped- for being off topic - the specs are 2.5x Keelers.

Cheers

N
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:36:11 AM by Fergus OMore »

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 12:33:52 PM »
Aah ....  Norman, not again  :lol: :lol: :lol:

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline bigmini

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 11:53:45 PM »
Thanks to all for your suggestions. Yes my normal reading glasses are shatterproof, but the lenses are too small to give much protection.

I ended up searching on ebay for bifocal safety glasses and found exactly what I needed. I never even knew such things existed.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 03:02:45 PM »

These were recommended by a brain surgeon friend:

http://www.designsforvision.com/surghtml/S-TTL1.htm

I have yet to pluck up enough courage to ask the price!

This is his preferred device!

http://www.zeiss.de/C1256A770030BCE0/WebViewAllE/56819F07FEE29FC9C125786F002D5FA2
Bill