Author Topic: Eclipse E172 Automatic Centre Punch SHATTERS  (Read 2505 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Eclipse E172 Automatic Centre Punch SHATTERS
« on: January 24, 2020, 08:35:45 AM »
For years I've used the original Eclipse automatic centre punch for layout and drilling with no issues. Doing a bit of rather more 'structural' work I wanted a bigger one handed solution to marking holes so bought an Eclipse E172  which is the bigger brother of the original.

To my amazement the tip, which threads in, shattered on literally the second use. After a bit of argy bargy Eclipse replaced it and all was well for a while.

After about a year it shattered again - too much time expired to winge to the makers  :bang:

So I bought another - this time on eBay - and the other day was using it marking RSJ's when the tip disappeared - darn me it had actually shattered - a theme is emerging here !

I presume that they have been hardened fully and the temper has not been drawn back enough hence shattering. After all it's not really something that you can abuse, you push it, it clicks, move on to the next mark - if the tip survives !

Anyone else had this?

Farnell used to stock spare tips but it seems that they no longer do. Anyone know a source?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Joules

Re: Eclipse E172 Automatic Centre Punch SHATTERS
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 12:34:02 PM »
 :palm:   Sounds like a DIY solution would work better, maybe even braze in a hard, or diamond tip.   BLING centre punch.   (need a Goldie smiley, with glinting tooth)
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 12:56:52 PM »
I'm sure that a suitable crafted bit of silver steel hardened THEN TEMPERED would work, but I suspect that these are now made 'off shore' (= in China) and they've messed up the metallurgy.

It's not too complex a bit, and I do have two 'tipless bodies' so I suppose that I should stop watching endless (fascinating) YouTube videos and spin the lathe up   :clap:

(btw diamond would be too hard I suspect Joules and bring it's own set of problems)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 10:52:57 AM »
Especially surprising since you were only indenting mild steel.
Mark
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP