Author Topic: Which USB "microscope" for measurement / poor mans shadowgraph?  (Read 29323 times)

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
Re: Which USB "microscope" for measurement / poor mans shadowgraph?
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 03:57:07 AM »
Thank you Norman, that makes me feel much better. I am sorry you wasted your money but I am glad it was not me.

Jim

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 04:52:40 AM »
A bit off topic but this Centrecam stuff was abandonned more or less in March 2007.

There were problems with-- Windows 98 which would accept or be happy with USB and it needed a old computer system to be fastened up. It wasn't very easy and when these digital scales and either £20 boxes or in my case Shumatech, the whole concept was simply a waste of space and time. After all, I had a Chinese mill drill which wasn't exactly inspection grade stuff.

I simply lived with what I had- and was satisfied.

So My thanks

Norman

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 04:14:41 PM »
Just to add to my post a little (Did anyone see it?)

I'm pretty sure everybody did! I did and I'm drawing funny lookin triangules on paper and trying to figure figures out! But I have to do something else before I'll check this one out. Definately very inspirational. That would have made a great story on any hobby magazine or least here.

Pekka,
That leads me to raise other questions about the viability of your plans. Years and years ago, I was involved in quality control and inspection and whatever. This was with access to a great deal more in measurement equipment than I have now in my small home workshop. OK, I have or had a lot of stuff far beyond the average home workshop but  I am going to question whether you have the backup equipment to go beyond what Geometer( Westbury?) possessed- and was able to construct from it.

Having said that, there are a lot of places which I visit where 'my finished work' is still in place( it's lasted well) but I would be the first to realise that it could not have been done with what I have -in my own workshop now- even with computers and whatever instead of a 'guessing stick'

I hope that I haven't upset you.

Norman

Probably I'm too thick to get upset. My problem (the easiest one :lol:) is that most of my tools and measurement equipment is not really up to what I need, neither my skills. My skills are slowly improving and sometimes I even have an idea what kind of accuracy or trueness is needed to make things work. If can only measure my mistakes more accurately then I know what to improve. Much of my equipment is fairly close needed accuracy when used to compare right standard (and honestly most of the time firm-joint calipers would be enough). BUT when that fails I need something to reference back...basically slip gauge, try square and knife edge ruler that I know

But this is only one item partway down.

Back to USB/AV microscopes and finding uses for them. For another skil I ordered some die spotting ink (only took couple of months to get into this step, next one might be not that fast :lol:).

Pekka

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 06:23:03 PM »
I'm aware of that. Right after war it was even harder here, lucily I don't know much of it. I'm in awe what has been made before, but I'm not sure if I should miss that history or even: do you really miss you?

Rather much can be done with very little - certainly if you must and if you can fail.

I'm trying to make an high speed spindle....it's long way, but I allready overheated one prototype. I could bodge it with bearing retaining glue or I could try to do it right. Or I could hope to get two bores and one shaft co-centric close enough. Baby steps.

But one thing at the time. Optical centering scope would be cool to to make, and entertaining and possibly even usefull sometimes when I have painted myself on the corner.

Does anybody know a design, that has reticle on solid part (definately not on moving ocular) and even electrical engineer could make?

Pekka

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2012, 04:35:49 AM »
Thank you, I have had Quorn book and this book has been very inspirational. I have had it years and "one" day....but there are tools and skills I need to build before. I have Sparreys book (My first ever ME book!) and few times it has saved my day, but now later when I looks some picture and setups, I'm sure they got work done, but nowadays would be considered "Bodge" or accident waitting to happen.

Today I have some "shop time" and band saw needs TLC.

Pekka