Author Topic: 6 tpi leadscrew  (Read 5674 times)

Offline DavidA

6 tpi leadscrew
« on: December 01, 2012, 04:16:14 PM »
Ok, I've been out of the machining for a while,  but now that winter is coming I intend to crack on with my Fowler 4f and hopefully have something to show when next seasons running starts.
So I was thinking about screw cutting on my mystery lathe (no one seems to know what it is) and decided to check the lead screw.
It has  a pitch of six tpi.
Now, one of the things I have to make is a calibrated wheel for the end of the leadscrew as the wheel on the saddle goes the 'wrong way' and is also very high geared.
But six tpi gives me a saddle advance of 0.16666 inch per revolution.
I clamped a clock on the bed and checked this. It is so.

Then I wondered, 'is it metric' ?
That would give me 4.198 MM per revolution.  Still seems strange.

So,  any ideas ? Why has such an odd lead screw been fitted. And how do I set about cutting standard threads with it ?
Plus how do you suggest I calibrate the wheel ?

Regards

Dave.

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
Re: 6 tpi leadscrew
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 05:52:33 PM »
Instead of calibrating the wheel why not fit a digital read out, then you would have metric and imperial at the flick of a switch.
In "The Amateur's Lathe" by L.H. Sparey there is a screwcutting chart for a 6T.P.I leadscrew in the appendix p215 of my copy.
I could send you a copy if you wish.
Norman

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 05:57:24 PM »
Hi there, Dave,

Depending on the anatomy of your lathe at the RH end of the lead-screw, it might be possible to fit a couple of gears of suitable ratio, one to the lead-screw and the other to a hand-wheel.  You might be able to make one of them a sprung anti-backlash type (same principle as shown on one of the CNC mill conversions on this site).

Hand-wheels with scales do crop up on eBay from time-to-time (I know, I've just bought a couple for my little horizontal mill); you should procure the hand-wheel first - that will decide the gear ratio you need.

I've just received a message saying that someone else has posted while I've been typing this - sorry if I've doubled up on their suggestion.

Best regards,

Pete W.
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »
As Pete says, it is possible to have a gear on the leadscrew, driving a dial on a separate shaft.  That's what I did with my 12tpi (0.0833" pitch) leadscrew, as shown here:
 http://andysmachines.weebly.com/leadscrew-handwheel-and-dial.html.
After a while, I have got used to the dial rotating in the opposite direction to the handwheel, but it does help to put a splash of paint by the zero on itl, to help count the number of full turns.

I often wonder why so many lathes have awkwardly pitched leadscrews. Even the often-encountered 8tpi (0.125" per turn) requires a bit of mental arithmetic if you want to turn something down over a length of (say) 0.60". It must be a hangover from woodworking, where 1/8" etc is used more often than decimal measure. 10tpi would be far more convenient.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline DavidA

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 09:05:20 AM »
Norman,

Great minds think alike, and so it seems, do mine and yours.

I was just looking at the arc catalog for DROs. That would be the best way to go,  and the quickest.

But I still like the old calibrated scale.

I'm going to add Sparey's book to my library in the near future, But thanks for the offer.

Pete and Andy,

A geared scale would work.  A variation would be to use a scale on the end of the lead screw and let the readings finish at 0.166 Inch . Rather like the odd z axis scale on my X1L mill. It took me a while to realise what was going on there.

Let's see.  Dividing into 166 divisions.   Hmmm.

All in all,  I think I'll go for the DRO option.

Thanks for the help.

Dave.
But it would be awkward to make.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 07:50:31 AM »
Norman,

On second thoughts,  It would be a great help if you could send me a copy of the relevant page(s) .

I'd like to get a couple of boring tools,  and it would help if I leave the book purchase until later.

The Email address is in my profile.

Thanks

Dave

Offline DavidA

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »
Norman,

I know have a table of changewheels for the 6 TPI leadscrew pinned to my shed door. On the inside,  before anyone should ask.

Thanks again for your trouble.

Dave.

:mmr: