Author Topic: Facial hair  (Read 7522 times)

bogstandard

Facial hair
« on: February 23, 2009, 04:54:38 AM »
This topic can get very personal, so don't take it to heart.

It has been mentioned before, that a large number of model engineers grow beards.

You only have to go around a show and you see hundreds of Gandalfs. Short cropped like mine, to overly long ones that definitely constitute a safety risk when working near machinery.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon?

It has even come to my notice when Ralph turned up last Saturday sporting a very sauve, short cropped, bright ginger goatee. It made him look like a very sophisticated gent, rather than the 'bruiser and troublemaker' he usually looks like. :lol:

Is it the fumes from the materials we cut that make us grow beards, or is it something we aspire to over the years. Or even, because we are so engrossed in our projects, we just forget to shave? :scratch:

Bogs

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Facial hair
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 06:04:39 AM »
HA HA HA HA HA

I think its the time and trouble to shave

I started with beards in the early 80s when a teen.. I had to shave when in school.. but it was always borderline.. and then full beard. Short cropped.
I shaved it to a goatee 10 or 15 years ago now.. and I have let the beard grow a few times.. i keep the goatee.  Low maintenance.

I think its cause we have soo many other things in our brains.. getting artistic with a razor takes time away from the other artwork.. of metal.
SPiN Racing

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 06:20:09 AM »
Maybe it's a time thing (is that being lazy)

I like to think wer conserve everything we can. After all, heads loose a lot of heat  :ddb:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 07:43:22 AM »
It may be because they are locked in sheds so long , bit like Robinson Cruso, it's not untill they are draged out by there other half, powerwashed and told you are going out that you think about shaving. then its a mmmmm  that looks good, less time getting ready if I have face fuzz, ill leave it like that..   :ddb:

the other may be that a lot are retired and if like me had to look shaved and smart for there job, the relife of not having to is nice, also with me the last day I worked was the last day I wore a watch.. :borg:

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 08:14:42 AM »
I had a beard for about 25 years, over the years it went from dark brown to snowy white, at the same time I went very nearly completly bald except for fringe of hair a bit like a monk, people thought my head was on upside down 

:lol:

The beard came off a few years ago when one Christmas on my way to a football match wearing a wooly hat in my team colours red, I passed a couple of youths one of the cheaky b****s said:-  hey up here comes Santa. 

That was it the beard came off.

Cheers
 :wave:
Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:28:22 AM »
I grew a beard every fall (upstate NY winters can be cold), and shaved it off in the spring.  This started from the time I graduated high school to about 7 years ago.  Got to the point that if you asked my mother, she couldn't have told you if I was clean shaven or not.  Then, I stopped shaving in the spring, just trimming it down to and inch or so.  If I left it, it got quite long.

Recently, it seems every male in the US has a goatee (who wants to look like a goat?), and so I shaved.  Just to be different.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 10:15:45 AM »

It has even come to my notice when Ralph turned up last Saturday sporting a very sauve, short cropped, bright ginger goatee. It made him look like a very sophisticated gent, rather than the 'bruiser and troublemaker' he usually looks like. :lol:

Too funny. I get the opposite reaction to my facial hair. I was told I look menacing with my goatee. I change my facial hair more often than anything. My wife always gets mad at me because I never tell her before I do it. Goatee, soul patch, faux man chu, the landing strip... I change them almost weekly. I am thinking of doing a real fu man chu after I start this new job....

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 12:22:22 PM »
You didn't look to menacing to me Eric. :lol:

Maybe you have that effect only on women, menacing I mean. :lol:

I don't have to worry about faical hair. Don't have that much. Once a week and I clean up pretty good. Of course that goes along with the weekly bath. :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 01:53:54 PM »
Once upon a time, 1973, Betty Windsor was scheduled to visit the place I was working at.  The boss said, in front of a lot of other people "Bodger, before Her Majesty gets here you will have a proper shave and haircut",  I held out about two years on the hair cut and still holding out on the shave!
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »

Once upon a time, 1973, Betty Windsor

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one John   you could go to the tower for that one, for a minute I thought you were on about East Enders.

Cheers
Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road

Offline Twinsquirrel

• never rub another mans rhubarb
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 03:04:12 PM »
I wish I could grow a proper beard, my facial hair seems to grow on a geological timescale, about 3 weeks to get a 5 o'clock shadow :bugeye:

David
So many ideas, so little skill

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 04:11:06 PM »
Be careful what you wish for.  My beard is as tough as old nails, and grows like weeds.  I look like I need another shave by 5 PM.  I also go through razor blades at an alarming rate.  While there may be some advantage to growing a full beard in less than two weeks, I haven't found it.

Maybe Mother Nature's way of covering up my ugly mug?   :bugeye:
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 04:13:06 PM »
Maybe Mother Nature's way of covering up my ugly mug?   :bugeye:

Since I've seen your mug I could comment here but I won't.  :lol:

Bernd

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 06:37:59 PM »
You didn't look to menacing to me Eric. :lol:

You saw me fairly clean shaven... didn't have the goatee! I only look menacing with it!  :wack:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 12:22:36 PM »
It has even come to my notice when Ralph turned up last Saturday sporting a very sauve, short cropped, bright ginger goatee. It made him look like a very sophisticated gent, rather than the 'bruiser and troublemaker' he usually looks like.

Aye up!!! what's all this??

I don't know, you shave selectivly for a few weeks and they're talking about you in cyber space!!  ::)

I had the goatee for over 10 years John, shaved it off a a couple of years ago and grow it back every now and again, mostly returns in the cold.... It's odd how much difference it makes!

I've noticed the large quantity of gents with "beauties" (professional wonder beards!)  walking around the shows..... I think it's quite expected at such events.... There should be prizes issued for the best beauty  :lol:

On the subject of the bi annual shave David.... The grass is always greener!!  You want, I want.... If it were the other way aroun people would still want what the other had!!!

And on the subject of manacing verses very sophisticated gent (Johns words not mine!)..... I only seem to get the laydees when I have the goatee??  I dunno if it's scientific... But it's true!

One of these days I'll have to set up this skype thingy!!

Just for a laugh.... Proof of early goatee.... 1999!!! I think I was smaller and thinner there?!! I was sitting in the front of a landy sorting the new head out.... Bu663r shot me from the other side of the shop and it ended up in a national magazine!!!

Told you I was famous (once..... Never got any fan mail though!  :lol: ) I didn't put the other one in where I couldn't be seen as well.... Even if I was refered to as a "highly skilled fitter"!!!  :dremel:   :ddb:

Well, off to play pool.... Looking all sauve and sfisticatd  :lol:

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 06:26:03 PM »
                                          YIKES!!!!!!!

You look very simular to my nephew-in-law with that red hair. Now every time I see him I'll be reminded of you.

Bernd
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 06:27:46 PM by Bernd »

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 06:27:42 PM »
Any goatee or sculptured face fungus is not a beard!  A beard is something you let grow then cut with scissors (if you must!).  Anything style that requires a razor on any part of the face is not a beard.

Real beard wearers know that not shaving saves at least a week of their lives!  A week that could be spent making little metal shavings or smokey smells in their garage (sorry, workshop)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 07:31:22 PM »
YIKES!!!!!!!

No need for that Bernd!!  ::)

You look very simular to my nephew-in-law with that red hair.

You'd be surprised how many large red haired individuals I look like (and get told regularly!!)  All I can say to that is..... Good man that in-law!! 

Any goatee or sculptured face fungus is not a beard!  A beard is something you let grow then cut with scissors (if you must!).  Anything style that requires a razor on any part of the face is not a beard.

Real beard wearers know that not shaving saves at least a week of their lives!  A week that could be spent making little metal shavings or smokey smells in their garage (sorry, workshop)             

Just to clear this one up for myself..... I never said it was..... "selective shaving" in my book      :) 

That's why I appreciate the "beauty" .... A fully cultivated work of art   :ddb:

"Face fungus"!!!!..... Bit harsh isn't it John?    I quite like mine!    :(     :thumbup:

Ralph.   :ddb:
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 08:54:32 PM »
Harsh you say Ralph? Have you never seen a performance by Dame Edna Everidge!  :)

http://www.dame-edna.com/index.htm

BTW, my wife has never seen me without my face fungus and we have been married for more than 30 years. :D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:15:23 PM by John Hill »