Author Topic: Waldos ... or how Kludge plans to work around shaky hands  (Read 7445 times)

Offline Kludge

Waldos ... or how Kludge plans to work around shaky hands
« on: December 13, 2012, 01:05:25 AM »
Okay, so anyway, Da Ol’ KludgeMeister Hisself has gotten to that point in life when his hands shake way too much to be useful.  By and large, this isn’t a good thing.  Watching me eat can be amusing, soup especially.  Rice with chop sticks is especially hilarious.  Sooo … we have to fix this, right?  Not the eating part but the doing things mechanical and electronic part.

I’m sure everyone has heard of Waldos, remote manipulators named after devices in one of Robert Heinlein’s books.  This is the direction I’m going as assisting devices.  At the moment (and subject to change without prior notification) there will be three heavy duty arms on trolleys, two along the back of the work surface and one on the left side.  Since it’s all of 16”x23”, none will be all that long but they have to be able to handle several pounds out at the ends of the arms which can make for some unpleasant loads.  With each heavy arm will be one or two lightweight arms as helpers on the same trolleys.  On the left side of the table will be the microcontrollers and much of the driver electronics while the power supplies will be on the right side.  (I’ll hit the electronics in a separate topic.) 

While I’ve sketched out a three segment arm, most if not all will be two segment.  All of the arms follow the same basic design with variations for length and load bearing capability taken into account.  Each has a “universal” tool mount, one each light and heavy according to the arm to which it’s attached, which remain parallel to a vertical plate at the mounting end of the arms.  This allows a reference 0 position common among all the arms to make programming easier.  Each arm has three motors associated with it, one for rotation and one each for extending the inner and outer arm segments.  Additional wiring is provided to handle another three motors on the assorted tool heads plus extra for the tools themselves. 

The heavy arms also have at least one pneumatic line (pressure or vacuum) and more likely two for assorted tools to help minimize the weight at the ends of the arms.  I’m using air rather than hydraulics because I have the pumps and a few solenoid operated valves plus it’s less a mess in case anything leaks. 

When I can get to them again, at least one of my lathes – my Unimat, to be exact – will also be getting steppers although not for CNC apps.  It’ll be under computer control but in a slightly different way.  It would be cool to do that to one or two of the others but there are cost factors involved.  OTOH, the Clisby would be fun to do just for … well, fun.  One thing I want to do is add a stepper to the milling column so I can position the milling head vertically.  I have a second headstock (currently motorless) that’s dedicated to the milling head plus mounts so I can use it next to the bed rather than at one end of it.  I also have an oversized bed for the cross slide to allow it to hold larger projects and have planned additional toys to allow workpieces to be angled and rotated.  (This is in addition to the normal Unimat rotary thingie.)  With a heavier motor on the headstocks than normal, this should wind up far more capable than the Taig with all its attachments. 

Some tabletop tools will be built as well although I don’t have a comprehensive list as to what yet.  The determining factor here is what I’ll still be able to do as time progresses.

One 350w computer supply will handle the electronics & motors while three 250w ones will manage the electric soldering & micro-welding duties.  They’ll be switchable so I can have one, two or all three supplies on line.  The 3.3v and 5v outputs will be tied together in parallel (3.3v with 3.3v and 5v with 5v, not all of them at once!) for DC arc welding while the 12v outputs can be or can be used separately for resistance soldering & welding plus charging the cap bank for a cap discharge spot welder.  There’s more to it than that but that’s the basic outline.

I’m sure there’s more but I’ll add it later.  Any thoughts are welcome of course.

Offline rdhem2

• I LOVE SWARF!!!
Re: Waldos ... or how Kludge plans to work around shaky hands
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 10:18:02 AM »
Mr. Kludge;
     Your brain seems to function in many of the same mannors as my own.  To what end this comes remains to be seen.  I am sure with just a little more thought your marvelous plan will come to fruitation.  Some how it seems to be way too simple to be practical.  Keep working.  I, for one have mountains of faith in you!   :clap:

P.S. Hoping for a speedy conclusion as I will probably find one of your contraptions useful for myself in the very near future!
Russ

Offline Kludge

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 02:49:22 AM »
Thanks for the reply, rdhem2. 

It may seem simple because I’ve tried to keep the design as simple as possible.  You know, “simple things for simple people” … and I’m about as simple as they come.  The Waldos are intended to be “stable hands” for me to handle what I can’t do.  For example, simple soldering isn’t well accomplished when I can’t hold the iron on what’s to be soldered.  Since it’s a progressive neurological issue, it will only get worse so I’ve tried to plan ahead as much as possible.  I have a few other tricks up my sleeve that I can use if I have to although I’d much rather not.

Tools on hand are pretty minimal at the moment.  I have a Frei precision drill press that can handle up to 1/8” drills or whatever else comes along but no drilling vise for it other than my Unimat’s milling vise and table.  I have some basic hand tools and a cordless Dremel tool but no lathe which I really need.  All mine are buried in storage and there’s no way I can get to them.  I don’t need much – a few adapters and end fittings for the various arm elements – nor do they have to be all that precise. A Clisby can do it all quite easily which should give an idea how minimal a machine I need. 

Making a basic lathe isn’t off the table although I’d really rather not do so since I’m lacking a few essential tools.  The 8020 Surplus store on eBay has some cool stuff in aluminum for making the bed, head and tail stocks and cross slide.  Some double ended (shaft comes out at each end) hobby motors may do well at each end although I haven’t quite figured out how to go from a 2-3mm shaft to something that can hold a workpiece up to 1/2” or so in diameter.  (Jacobs chuck?)  I have a few other ideas concerning this that involve things like 12mm* shafts and linear bearings from CNC gantries used as spindle bearings on both stocks (Tail stock would be lockable, of course.) but being able to do that means having tools I don’t have (not the taps & dies but other stuff.  Well, yeah, a couple of the taps & dies too.) like maybe 1/8” tools and 1/8” shaft carbide drills to handle sizes over 1/8” (3.17mm). 

* The .7mm difference between 1/2” and 12mm shouldn’t be enough to be a problem for drill chuck holding purposes due to the low torque involved.  I’d probably want it a closer match if this were a “real” lathe.  OTOH, finding an affordable 1/2”-20 or 12x1mm 3-jaw chuck would be even better.

There are a few gear motors that, if belted or geared to the headstock at a 1:1 ration can give me around 1000 RPM on the spindle which, when you consider the diameters, isn’t horribly fast at all.  I could probably double it and still be in good shape.  Most of what I’ll be turning is brass and that mostly at the headstock.  Sharp tools & easy cuts isn’t really a problem.  There are a few cases when turning between centers will be necessary so the tailstock should be useful for that. 

Tucked away here in my retirement closet are two handpieces from an electric dental drill.  Someday I hope to have an entire portable drill however I’m hoping to make one of the handpieces self-powered with a small DC motor attached to it kind of like a really weird looking rotary tool.  They’re good to around 30,000 rpm so speed isn’t a problem if I can get an adequate motor to hang off the side to drive it, maybe something like the ones Dremel uses in their high end cordless drills.  There are several ways this can be used, the two most important being as a tool for the heavy Waldos and as a lathe tool. 

Before I forget … again … part of the tool positioning stuff on each of the heavy arms will consist of a laser pointer diode and optics that is centered on the tool head and indicates where it will go.  Once the tool head is positioned, it swings out of the way so the tool can do its thing.  With it will be a small camera like a webcam sans housing mounted so it can put me up close and personal with what’s happening at the tool end without having to get up close and personal myself.  A laser the projects a line will be useful of things like saws & routers to make sure the tool’s axes are oriented properly as well. 

Also not off the table is going back to making a gantry like a CNC router gantry in miniature to handle some tool positioning.  The original problem with it was that it was getting in the way of the arms but I may be able to get around that.  Maybe.

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 04:00:06 PM »
This looks like a really interesting project Kludge, I will be following with interest (but I might not say much).

Jim

Offline Kludge

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 09:19:10 PM »
Not saying much isn't a problem, Jim.  I tend to get verbose enough for ten people.   :lol:

This all started because I needed a stable soldering iron.  Then I kept adding "features."  That was not a good thing to do. :bang: :palm: :loco:  On one hand it is an interesting design exercise like I haven't done for years but on the other someone's got to build the bloody thing and that someone is me. :( :(  Since it's kind of modular, I can do it in sections and stop when I figure I've got what I need covered at the moment.  That means at a minimum the resistance soldering head(s) and micro-arc welding head will be operational with or without microcontrollers. 

At the same time, the idea of making a rudimentary lathe from the 8020 materials has been in the back of my mind for a while as has been making a very simplistic milling column.  It would appear I've found a good excuse for doing so.  The milling head wouldn't need to be able to handle anything larger than a 1/8" tool shaft due to the number of carbide mills and other tools available that would fit.  OTOH, if I can find (or have donated ... it is Christmas time after all! :lol:) a 12x1mm or 1/2"-20 3- and/or 4-jaw chuck, the lathe will become quite useful.  :dremel: :zap: 

Not really part of the project but still a Cool Idea: There was once a video (YouTube?) of a small and very simple surface grinder using a Dremel tool for power for the grinder.  (Anyone remember that?  It was on the Site That Shall Not Be Named when I saw it.)  There was also quite a discussion about it as to how it could possibly be effective, the Nay-Sayers being mostly the Old Pros who had lathes large enough to turn crankshafts for marine diesels - you know, the kind where the operator rides the cross slide.   (See attachment)  Those of us with itty bitty lathes thought it a grand idea and I think someone actually made one.  Anyway, it's been in the back of my mind for a while however I've not had need of one so it never got further than that.

Anyway, I've managed to maintain tradition and write an entire chapter.  Again.

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 12:36:14 AM »
I had to drive to Sydney and I got to thinking (oh no).

I assume that the electronics in the Waldo drivers will filter out the (relatively) high frequency shakes in your hand movement, leaving the desired low frequency component to drive the Waldo.

And I wondered if this filter could be applied to your own arm. As a simple example: if you wanted to lift your forearm using the bicep muscle, could you take the output from the impulse driving the bicep, filter the high frequency component and apply it in antiphase to the tricep. The nett result could be just the low frequency component driving your arm.

I am sure it would be much more complicated than this but the end result could be applied to other people such as those with cerebral palsy.

It was just a thought. And I may be completely off the track since (although I looked it up), I am not really sure that I know what a Waldo is.

Jim

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 01:13:46 AM »
Hi All

If anybody is unsure of what a Waldo is.

Quoted from Wikipedia,
A remote manipulator, also known as a telefactor, telemanipulator, or waldo

Follow this link for a picture of a Waldo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_manipulator

There is much more background information there as well about Waldo's. Hope this helps.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 05:41:32 PM »
Thanks Don, I think I now understand a bit better.

I note from the reference that the Waldoes (or at least some of them) are controlled by gloves. So instead of being attached to the walls, they could form part of a powered exoskeleton http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_exoskeleton

Not trying to hijack the thread or teach grandpa to suck eggs, just thinking.

Jim

Offline rdhem2

• I LOVE SWARF!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 08:36:35 PM »
Mr. Kludge;

I am in hopes that your absense has only been do to the holidays.  When will you reappear from your man-cave and enlighten us with your plans and thoughts.  The world is waiting!!!!!!

:bugeye:

Russ

Offline ConductorX

• The Volkswright Shop
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 08:04:59 AM »
Not exactly a Waldo:

My wife has a condition known as CMT.  She has lost grip strength in her hands along with other issues.  She wants to be independant but just the simple act of putting gas in the car is a tough job for her.  She can't squeeze the handle on the pump. 

I made her a lever that hooks under the handle and over the top of the nozzle and allows her to operate the pump by simply pushing down with her palm on the long handle.  Since we are now married, I pump all of the gas for her but it was very useful for times when I am not around to help.  She has a number of tools to assist with daily life, jar openers, electric cork screw, gas cap wrench all the little things we take for granted.  I would love to be able to help her do more things and I'll be watching this posting with great interest.

"G"

Gas Pump Lever

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 04:03:26 PM »
This is very admirable. I would like to get involved, and hope that this thread continues. I think a specific goal device (or devices) might make it easier to contribute to developing aids with others on the forum -- if interested.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg