The Craftmans Shop > General Crafts

Fibre Optic Clock.

(1/15) > >>

Deko:
Hi Folks
I thought i would inflict this on you as there seemed to be a bit of interest on a few other sites.  When finished it will be a clock that uses fibre optics to show the time.  In the pics there are four cylinders, one with an arm and a helical gear fixed to the shaft. This holds a synchronus motor doing 1rpm. the other three are all controled by the motor, the short one connected to the motor with the helical gear is for showing the seconds,and the other two for the minutes and hours. Inside the cylinders,lining up with the holes will be a row of LED's, and outside a row of fibre optics. As the cylinders rotate another fibre receives light from a LED to show the time. The other end of the fibres will be arranged in concentric circles around the clock face, seconds on the outside,minutes in the middle circle,and hours in the center circle.  I hope you can make sense of this. I first had the idea for this 32 years ago,but had neither the time or the means to do anything about it. It may be some time before it gets finished,but if there is any interest i will try to keep you up to date on progress.  Any questions, i will try my best to answer.   --------Some pics

Cheers Dek.

Fredbare:
I will certainly be watching this, thanks for sharing.

John

Divided he ad:
Hey Dek  :wave:

Glad you've decided to show this on here. It is I can tell everyone I've seen it first hand.....  a fantastic piece of work  :smart:

I've had a chat about the cam you need with Ade. He is prepared to have a go at getting one cut for you.... he just needs a drawing with all the measurements etc.

You can pass the details through me if you like or maybe Ade will have a chat with you and see if you two can come up with a plan?

Ade  :poke: 

We'll see how that goes.

Did the LEDs turn up? Were they all ok?

I've got some blue ones like those white ones (but half the width I think?)  on the way. So if you need some bright blue LEDs just let me know. Getting 100!   :)

Ralph.

Rob.Wilson:
WOW   Dek

Cracking bit of engineering all the parts look finished to a very  high standard  :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbup:

Rob

PS did you make your own gears ?

Brass_Machine:
I love looking at the parts for this thing... tho, I have no idea how the finished piece is going to turn out. Is this based on your own design? Are you working from plans?

Brass, LEDS, Fiber....  :drool:

Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version