Author Topic: Compressor pilot valve  (Read 3265 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Compressor pilot valve
« on: December 19, 2012, 10:37:06 AM »
Does anyone know where in the UK I might get hold of a proper - preferably adjustable, or fixed at 125psi - pilot valve? at least, I _think_ that's what it's called; basically, once the air pressure in the receiver reaches the set pressure, this valve pops open; and sends a small amount of pressure to the valves on the top of the compressor which stop it compressing. I thought it was called an unloader valve, but that does something else...

Basically, my compressor is engine driven, so rather than trying to stop/start the engine when the pressure varies, the pilot valve simply shoves a pair of small valves open on the compressor head which prevents it from adding more air to the tank. When the pilot valve drops shut, the compressor kicks in again.

I recently bought a 3phase compressor which had such a device on it, but that's over with the racing cars (and is in use on the compressor); I've been relying on a safety valve, but it's not ideal.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

lordedmond

Re: Compressor pilot valve
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 12:17:56 PM »
Ade

try googling for a compressor unloading valve

Stuart

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:22:22 PM »
Yep, done that. Most unloader valves (all the ones I found in the UK) are designed to actuate a switch to switch off the motor, and the valve decompresses the compressor itself, so it can be restarted without overloading the motor.

This is the sort of thing I need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-compressor-unloader-control-pilot-valve-95-125-psi-/270710543911

It just seems daft that no-one in the UK seems to sell them...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:51:34 PM by AdeV »
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline mattinker

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 08:19:27 PM »

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 09:59:38 AM »
Ade, heavy trucks and other equipment that have air brakes use such a system to control the air supply. You might see if they have something you can use.

Joe