Author Topic: Lighted figurines  (Read 4458 times)

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
Lighted figurines
« on: December 22, 2012, 02:05:08 PM »
This is something I made for the wife several years ago.  Keep meaning to post it, but 'tis the season, so here goes.

SWMBO got a set of crystal figurines of the nativity.  Nice enough for the mantle, but somehow lacking any pizzaz.  Lighing them up made them sparkle, but how to get the light coming from inside? 

Make a light box!  I used an old inbox from a school desk I pickup at roadside.  Bottom was broken, but the finger joints looked nice, so I saved it.  Sanded it down to remove all the discolored old finish.  I replaced the bottom with a piece of the skin from a hollow core door.  A thin coat of matte varnish gives it a little better finish than bare wood.

On the top, I traced the bases of the three figures.  With a set of dividers, I traced another line about 1/4" inside the first.  This gives a stable base for the figures, but opens up the entire inside to the lights.  Drill holes and cut out using a coping saw.  File the edges smooth.

Inside, I glued wooden blocks next to the openings.  Drilling a hole in each, I jammed in a small light socket (from the local hardware store) and wired them together.  Black to black, white to white, with a length of power cord tied in.  I also decided to add a switch.  Note that the sockets and switch have to be rated for line voltage.  Bulbs are only a 12 watts or so.

Looks nice at night.  Has the added bonus of being a perfect night light durring the holiday season.

Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Henning

• All the kit and no clue!
Re: Lighted figurines
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »
I just nodded to myself; Nicely done! Then it occured to me you maybe wanted to hear that as well...!

Nicely done  :clap:
Henning

Just because i can't, doesn't mean i shouldn't?
Tool- lover, with a collection to show for it!

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 11:44:13 AM »
rleete

That sure is a nice way to make those figurines noticable and different. I would suggest dating and signing it on the underside. Also placing a couple of spare bulbs on the underside may be a good idea as a backup. That way when one burns out you have one at hand.

I am sure that this will become a treasured Christmas display to be handed down to the next generation. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 09:14:52 AM »
Thanks, Henning

Dsquire, good idea about the spare bulbs. 
Creating scrap, one part at a time