Author Topic: Fly Cutters  (Read 42350 times)

Rob.Wilson

Re: Fly Cutters
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2013, 03:15:19 PM »
Hi David

What sort of mill are you using ?

I would not bother looking at collet run out , fly cutters are a single point tool so even if your collet had 30 tho run out is still going to rotate perpendicular too the spindle axis .

Rob

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2013, 03:28:56 PM »
DavidF

I could be all wrong on this but here are my 2 cents worth on this.

If your surface is .001 out at 2 inches width then it should be .002 at 4 inches and .004 at 8 inches. This is if the cutter has an effective cutting diameter of 8 inches or more.

You say
its a very small amount of concave  .001", seems about the same no matter how wide a piece is cut...
. if that is the case then I would be looking at the method and/or equipment that you are using to measure the amount of concave being cut.

What is the efective diameter of your cutter David?

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline DavidF

« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2013, 03:36:54 PM »
I have an old and clunky 1941 J bridgeport (with grease fittings)   :palm:   yes thats the odd part, the width of the face does not seem to make much of a difference.....  I need to do some measuring, but i swear the concave surface is worse in the wax than the steel. Dont quote me on that one yet, need to go to the shop and verify.  I havent fly cut in a bit and have a intake in the mill atm.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2013, 05:36:11 PM »
 Quality Rob  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:, sure the hell seems to work as well as look good  :med:

Cheers Mick.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2013, 04:24:49 AM »
Suppose it could be that. To be honest have never checked mine - it's probably worse! Presume you cut with the spindle fully up and locked and it was trammed in the same position?

Offline DavidF

« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2013, 06:54:08 AM »
Suppose it could be that. To be honest have never checked mine - it's probably worse! Presume you cut with the spindle fully up and locked and it was trammed in the same position?

Yes, spindle up and locked.   Hmm but I did move the knee....  now I wonder....

Offline loply

« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2013, 01:16:34 PM »
You need to check the tram as you move the table, ie under the same conditions as your cut.

You may find the table wobbles as you move it because the gibs are loose or the dovetails are worn.

Just because it is trammed when everything is locked down and stationary doesn't mean it will be the same when the table is unlocked and is being moved  :beer:

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2013, 09:42:46 AM »
Cheers Lads  :beer:

Well facing a few bits of inch bar is not much of a test I thought , so I tossed a decent lump onto the mill .

6 inches wide .

same feed and speed as before .

canny finish

flat too , always a plus  :lol:

Rob

Really nice.. but what im seeing is those orange clamping blocks you have there.. something bought or something home made? =))
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Pete.

« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2013, 12:52:34 PM »
Doubt its flexing, does the same thing when I cut wax  :doh:  its a very small amount of concave  .001", seems about the same no matter how wide a piece is cut...  Its been bugging me for quite some time now...  hmm wonder if its collet run out...  guess I need to check that....

Is it balanced or does it run off-balance? If it's off-balance could it be momentarily pivoting the head slightly as it makes each turn?

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2013, 01:11:09 PM »
Hi Andreas

There are made by Carver a British company http://www.carver.co.uk/index1.htm  click on Machine vice .

Took a few photos so you can have a better look

Fixed Jaw

Moving Jaw

They come with clip on covers

The set screw too the rear of each jaw is used to pull the work down onto the table .

Easy enough to make  :dremel:

Rob

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2013, 01:23:25 PM »
I have an old and clunky 1941 J bridgeport (with grease fittings)   :palm:   

Erm, I could be wrong here, but as I understand it, no Bridgeport vertical mill should ever be greased - always oiled, even if it has what appear to be grease nipples (they're not, their oil nipples)....

If your BP is full of grease & has been for some time, it may well be worn in ways you wouldn't expect.

You may be looking at needing a full strip-down & re-scraping to bring it all back into alignment... I must admit, I daren't check my mill in case it needs that, I wouldn't know where to begin.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2013, 02:53:24 PM »

Easy enough to make  :dremel:
Rob

Yes they didnt look to hard to copy actually. One block is staticly clamped and the other is tightened before locked into the table..  shouldnt be impossible.. gonna give it a try. =)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2013, 04:41:28 AM »
Hi Rob,
               What is your insert spec.
                                                         Cheers David

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2013, 02:38:08 PM »
Hi David

The tip I am using are TCMT 16 T3 08-UM  Sandvik , I have a few others I will be trying out .

Rob

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2013, 04:18:05 PM »
I use round ones on mine, 12mm dia. Just rotate a little as it wears.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2013, 04:22:11 PM »
Hi Arbalist

Nice tool  :thumbup:, did you make the TCT holder ?  I have two boxes of round tip and was planning on doing same  :dremel:

rob

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »
Yes, just counterbored the end of a bar and drilled and tapped it.