Author Topic: Adept No 2 Shaper  (Read 8482 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Adept No 2 Shaper
« on: February 23, 2009, 05:46:50 PM »
I just put a bid in for one of these:

Claimed to be in sound condition and including a number of tools. The best part (for something like this) is that it would only be a few minutes drive to pick it up!

Time will tell :headbang:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Adept No 2 Shaper
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 05:54:10 PM »
Looks nice,

I really like my shaper, not used it for a while, must try not to neglect tools for so long,

Gotta go and give it a run now..... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 06:10:14 PM »
So Darren, you are all in support of me going after this machine?  It looks pretty small but maybe thats exactly what I need.

Does anyone have any experience of the Adept No 2?  It seems there were a variety made, the vendor says this is a hand type converted to power but I can find pictures of what looks the same as a factory product.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 06:17:03 PM »
John,

I wish I could find something like that close by. I'd jump at the chance. Very useful machine tool.

Hope you get it.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 06:55:27 PM »
John, I didn't pay much for mine, an Acorn/Altlas shaper on manufactures cast iron stand. It was local and just £60 so I bought it rather than left it for the scrappie which was on the cards.

TBH, It's not really had much real use yet, it might never with me having a mill. But it can do things a mill can't, like cut internal keyways.

But it sure if fascinating to use. I see the one you are looking at doesn't have a front support for the block. This might have a bearing on things as the block (table) may be pushed down under the power stroke?
What about speeds, looks like it only has the one, you really need slow not fast so it may be ok.

Others hopefully will comment more as I don't really have enough mile on the clock to really help.

Be aware, Hand shapers can fetch much more than their worth, esp on Ebay...!!

One thing I will say, my shaper leaves a better finish than my mill and is easier to use for larger flat surfaces. It even cuts hard steels well where my mill won't touch it without destroying the cutter. But like I say, I'm really new to all this and a lot could be due to my inexperience with milling.

Have a look here
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=503.0

and here
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=533.0
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 07:04:21 PM »
Hi John,

This site gives a bit of info.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/adeptshaper/index.html

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 07:28:43 PM »
John, one thing, does it have auto advance on the table?
Esp important if it's been converted from a hand powered type.
Would be pretty tedious to use if not.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 07:31:50 PM »
Thanks Mr Standard, yes I had found that site. Thats the one that made me think this is actually a rather small machine, which might be the best for me anyway!

Darren, I can see at least two steps on the belt pully (visible on the motor pulley in the photo I linked), besides now-that-I-have-a-lathe I guess I can make pullies of any required ratio!  Regarding a front support, I suppose that is one of the things you have to allow for by not driving the machine too hard.

Hard to say about the auto advance Darren, it does appear to be a factory modied/optioned one as it compares well with pictures at the site Bogs linked to.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 07:36:27 PM »
Ah yes, I see the two pulleys now you mention it.

I'd prob just buy it anyway so you might be asking the wrong person  :lol:

I'm a bit soft like that where tools are concerned.... :ddb: