Author Topic: ScribD.com is now a dead resource  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

ScribD.com is now a dead resource
« on: January 11, 2013, 05:29:23 AM »
I have regularly referenced documents I had posted on ScribD.com.  They have become greedy rat-bastards who no longer deserve our support and I have deleted my account and all documents associated therewith.

I suspect I am going to have to take the time to create a new space on the internet from which to share such information.  In the meantime, I will share any of my documents with anybody so interested -- just e-mail me at tangent@olympus.net

I admit that I ultimately intend to make some money off of this effort.  My goal is to write a new mechanical design engineer's handbook as the logical successor to Joe Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design and Machine Design texts.  My efforts towards this end, ongoing now for more than two decades, are about 60% complete.  This is no trivial task.  Sharing sections (one can't really call them chapters) has been a fun part of this effort as I have been able to provide useful information that has been left out of many of today's texts.

Many of the people who really created the internet (funded through the late-1970's by spending authorization bills introduced and supported by Al Gore) -- as well as a multitude of others freely shared their knowledge & experience with me over the years.  The only way I can repay them for their kindness, efforts, and support is to pass such knowledge & experience onto others.  ScribD was originally a MIT & U.S. Army Natick Research Center effort.  My interaction with them dates to those days.  Those days are now gone.

Today's internet hucksters are puking on the foundation such people have laid.