Author Topic: Sandblasting ????  (Read 8935 times)

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
Sandblasting ????
« on: January 18, 2013, 07:43:16 AM »
I have got an old sandblaster but can't figure out what a spherical container is used for.

Look here and you have translation to the right under the menu line !

http://kelds.weebly.com/sandblaeligser.html

Any ideas ?
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor

Offline chipenter

Re: Sandblasting ????
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 08:20:39 AM »
I think it acts as a silo to control the sand to air ratio .

Jeff
Jeff

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 08:27:26 AM »
Yes it is....

I have one and works very effectively although you need to ensure that the air supplied to the unit is dry else the sand binds up...

A tungsten nozzle is also desirable(very expensive!) as the ceramic ones tend to wear quickly
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 09:10:12 AM »
Sorry to disagree John, but the spherical jobby is an independent and separate sand blaster. I used to own one. They came with shaped rubber heads that were stored in the holes in the base. The sphere held the grit, it was pulled out by  a venturi arangement , conveyed to the blasting nozzle, and round the hose was a large diameter pipe also connected into the sphere, and at the business end the rubber heads pushed onto it. The sphere was connected to a vacuum cleaner so was at low pressure, and the grit having left the nozzle was contained within the rubber head and sucked back to the sphere. The heads were shaped to fit round the various mouldings and curves of car body work and the were inteded for spot blasting of rust damage on car panelwork.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 09:43:29 AM »
Ahh..that one works slightly differently to mine then...

Mine is pressurised at the top, then there's a feed pipe at the bottom where the sand/grit is fluidised and fed to the main blasting hose..
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 09:47:06 AM »
A shop I worked in years ago had a similar setup but had several of the spherical containers each with a different type/size media. This allowed the blast cabinet to be quickly changed over.

Joe

Offline ksor

• Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 02:41:33 AM »
Thx for your ideas  :coffee:

I'm really sure the spherical container is NOT an independent and separate sand blaster - it's a container for the sand - the holes in the base ... I think they are just 'decoration'  :scratch: and don't think they were storage place for something ...  :scratch: no. I don't think so.

BUT I thought the connection at the 'equator' MAYBE had to do with CLEANING the sand - EVEN THOUGH there already IS a pipe in the upper box for a vacuum cleaner !

MAYBE the pipe for connection to a vacuum cleaner in the upper box is a relic of an earlier setup - I don't know  :scratch: !

OR

In fact there is a need for TWO vacuum cleaners - ONE to take the dust in the box to the sake of visibility in the box and ONE MORE connected to the spherical container at the 'equator' for CLEANING the sand  :loco:

Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 05:04:52 AM »
Ksor,

The sphere CERTAINLY started out life as an independent low volume sand blaster in the car trade. It may well have been re-deployed later as a sand collector. I had one, I used it, it IS the same.

The 'equator' fat tube went to a vacuum cleaner, the 'north pole' fat tube went to the blasting head sucking used sand back into the sphere. The compressed air line went to a venturi arrangement dipped in the sand and then on to the nozzle. The top of the sphere could be removed by undoing a couple of knurl headed screws. The base has holes to store the collecting heads which were moulded in yellow rubber, and had 'fingers' extending to form a skirt round the blast area.

It was pretty pathetic though as a blaster - ok for tiny rust spots which was its intended purpose but hopeless for larger areas.
Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline ksor

• Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 07:08:14 AM »
Ksor,

The sphere CERTAINLY started out life as an independent low volume sand blaster in the car trade. It may well have been re-deployed later as a sand collector. I had one, I used it, it IS the same.

I think I misunderstood you in the first place - I now have made some investigation on the ball and made a drawing with explanation for the indevidual komponents:

And I think it looks more like af sand CLEANER than a sand BLASTER - I think you HAVE TO HAVE a separate box for the gun and object.
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 07:44:05 AM »
.........And I think it looks more like af sand CLEANER than a sand BLASTER - I think you HAVE TO HAVE a separate box for the gun and object.

Sorry, I don't know about this sphere BUT you do not have to have a separate box for gun & object.

I have several blasting outfits such as these

In all of these the blasting media (sand/grit, or in my case, various grades of glass beads) collects in a hopper at the base of the cabinet.  There is no external chamber or separator.  The only external connections are an incoming dry air line for the gun, and an exhaust to prevent pressure build up in the cabinet, to which it is prudent to collect a dust extractor of some type.  The gun has an internal venturi fed by a suction line which draws blasting media up from the hopper or well in the bottom of the cabinet.

Dave

Offline ksor

• Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 08:31:08 AM »
> Dmion

I think we misunderstands each other  :scratch: !

You says I do "not have to have a separate box for gun & object" - what I mean is that I need a CABINET - with nothing in it except the gun and the object (not a box for the gun and another box for the object)  :scratch: !

In the buttom of this cabinet there is a funnel witch collects the used sand and by a hose in the buttom of the funnel the used sand runs into the "northpole" connection of the sphere and now the dirty sand gets cleaned in the sphere.

Today I have dismounted the sphere to see what is inside and maybe find out it works - I did a drawing with some explanation here:

I can assure you that there is NO PLACE for gun & object inside the sphere ... if this is what you mean !
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 09:00:55 AM »
Blimey this is getting REALLY silly.  :doh:

It WAS a self contained sand blasting system that recycled its sand by sucking it up in the yellow rubber moulded heads and returning it to the pot. Believe me, I had one, I used it, that is what it WAS.

NOW it may be being used as a sand / dust separator on a cabinet blaster, a job it would do perfectly satisfactorily.

Finito.  :doh:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 02:34:04 PM »
.... You says I do "not have to have a separate box for gun & object" - what I mean is that I need a CABINET - with nothing in it except the gun and the object (not a box for the gun and another box for the object)  ...

As far as we can all tell,  you have two systems which someone has, for some unknown and strange reason, connected together.

If it is a commercial cabinet, for that size, the gun normally sucks powder from a hopper or funnel which is made by having a tapered base to the cabinet and the gun just sucks from the pile of grit or media inside - the suction hose from the gun stays inside the cabinet and just goes down through a hole in whatever mesh or floor you have in the cabinet.  IF there is a hole at the bottom of the funnel of a small cabinet it normally has a bung and is only opened to drain media out when you want to change the media.

You then also appear to have a portable unit which someone has fastened under the drain port of an ordinary cabinet.

Dave

Offline ksor

• Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 05:19:57 AM »
As I said ... at least I misunderstood YOU  :Doh:

I think I have got it now and when it gets a little warmer here - -10° Celsius - I'll do some tests to clean some of the sand.
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 12:35:58 PM »
Dragging up an ancient post here, but I noticed that someone was reading it, and I remembered that there had been a discussion regarding a spherical sand blaster - I had had one so knew exactly what it was, but thought that I'd passed it on. However when rebuilding the MIRAC CNC lathe I'd found it on a shelf but couldn't remember which thread the discussion was in - this jogged my memory  :clap:

Post #98 in this thread has pictures and results of it being used:

https://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,12452.75.html
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex