Author Topic: Snow  (Read 13480 times)

Offline sparky961

Re: Snow
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 10:42:57 AM »
What part of South Western Ontario are you in? I'm guessing possibly North of Toronto, maybe oround Orangeville.

Have fun in the snow but stay out of the ditches.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Pretty close, Don.  Somewhere between Dundalk and Owen Sound nails it down a bit better.  It was close to -27 C this morning - the kind of cold that freezes your lungs from the inside out.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

-Sparky

Offline Pete49

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 09:51:28 PM »
Its 40C here at the moment and I must admit snow in the nth hemisphere is as close as I need to be to it. Good beer drinking weather :beer: :) :D
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 11:03:03 PM »
For the last week now it has been around -34c and the high about -10c but we have not had much snow.

Offline jb3cx

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 07:35:31 PM »
It's like Fred says here in the uk we see a wee bit snow falling and the country comes to a halt,the council get the road gritters out,when they can be bothered,but by that time it's too late to do any good,except to corrode the underside of your car,the uk should take a look at Scandinavia ,
I work in Norway ,have done for the last 10 years ,never seen a gritter yet,they don't have any problems driving on the snow and ice,the don't have stock piles of grit and salt,it's simple the government say you will fit snow tyres to your vehicle before a fixed date,if you don't you have to pay a hefty fine if you are stopped,

Offline sparky961

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 10:38:44 PM »
After at least 15 years of owning and driving a vehicle, this was my first winter on snow tires.  WOW!  What a difference.  Consider me converted - and scared of everyone else that doesn't have them.

-Sparky

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2013, 06:42:02 AM »
But they don't work on ice! The only thing that works on that is studded tyres- or chains.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 10:14:59 AM »
True, but I'd have to move a few hundred km north for it to be legal.  They do a pretty good job of keeping the main roads free of ice here, at the sacrifice of turning our vehicles into piles of reddish-orange dust.

I thought about getting studs when I was looking for tires, despite the law, but decided against it because they offer less grip on dry pavement than all seasons.

I'm waiting for the day when they make a tire that gives excellent grip in ALL conditions.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2013, 10:59:38 AM »
Off topic a bit but the days of cars actually rusting with salt should have ended before you learned to drive. I think that you have to re-think. My present cars- there are four of them show little or no signs of rust.

We used to joke about Toyota Corroders and Fiats and ye Gods, Skodas.There were Minis that had 'little perforations' like tea bags in a year and Vauxhalls that had pinholes -at the factory. It doesn't happen. The last problem that I ever had was a Mercedes C Class Estate with a 2001 registration. It got 4 new alloy wheels, two doors, a tailgate and two front wings, then the engine blew up- in France.

Touch wood- or something that doesn't rust. :hammer:

Ice spikes- yea man on a road tuned original Mini Cooper.  Go on- enjoy a set of 'tinklers'

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 02:15:18 PM »
In Vermont we get skiers up from the cities speeding by us on the snow covered highways during snow storms in 4 wheel drive SUVs. Also piled up off the guard rails, at times.

The thing they don't understand about us 2 wheel drive slower bumpkins is that we realize we all have the same number of brakes.

I have studs, too. On all 4 wheels.

Just like the brakes.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg