Author Topic: A little light light....  (Read 18506 times)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
A little light light....
« on: January 18, 2013, 04:48:47 PM »
Well it was harder to title it than make it.... But this was a first for me so I'm posting it  :)

Anyone ever made anything from magnesium?

I got given a bar of it by a friend so I decided for Xmas I'd make him a torch with a bit of it.... The rest is all pictures. Same as my brass torches so nothing descriptive cause I've already done that.

5.58grams!!

And the fun bit.... A bit of interesting swarf  :bugeye:

A little video....

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Deko

Re: A little light light....
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 05:38:06 PM »
Another bright spot in your machining endeavours there Ralph :palm: but i do'nt see any clicky switch, did you hide it inside?   You are right about the air gun, had one myself when i were lad.  PLEASE be very carefull with that magnesieum, it can be real nasty stuff if it catches fire when you do'nt want it to. :(

Cheers Dek.

P.S. I found my big boxes of lenses and prisims today so something else for you to play with next time you call round.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 08:22:10 AM »
Nicely done Ralph!  :clap: :clap:

Not come across that material, since the chemistry master burned some in oxygen. Over 55 years ago....... 

What does it machine like? It looks similar to aluminium alloy.

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 01:42:02 PM »
Thanks gents,

Dek, No worries. I've done lots of stupid in my life but I always tried to avoid smoke of any description  :thumbup: Specially white stuff that is toxic!! 

Big box of lenses and prisms.....Sounds very intriguing  :)

Clicky switches are soon to be incorporated in some test builds.... House comes first though!

I'll be over soon ish... Was meant to be on Monday... Just with a 1/2" of snow my cars butt won't stop wigglin!!

Might get over there.... Will let you know if I am  :thumbup:

David, machines like butter (with an ultra sharp tool) much lighter than aluminium ~1/3rd.

It was fun making all those swarf swirls.... But that was partly due to the fact I knew I was gonna light some of 'em after  :lol:

(first time I've had the fun of lighting it since school too... Although that was a mere 24ish years ago :bugeye: )

Ralph.

Offline Deko

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 04:42:28 PM »
Ralph, We should all be allowed at least one major mistake especialy one very adictive one started at the age of 14 when we do'nt know any better. :bang: I realy do'nt want to give up now at the age of 72 because i realy do ENJOY it. Hope to see you soon.

Cheers Dek. :loco:

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 02:40:52 AM »
Dek, Wasn't having a go.

Just a statement about me avoiding the nasties! My personal choice. I have many friends who fell into the "trap"

We've discussed this a little.... Each to there own. As long as they don't try to force it on me I rarely worry bout it.

:thumbup:

Ralph.

Offline Deko

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 04:55:07 AM »
No problem there Ralph, i could not afford to hand em round these days anyway. :lol:

Cheers Dek.

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 03:58:37 PM »
Wondered which pic would have some flames on Ralph  :D   pleased it wasnt when you were turning it. lovely looking torch as they always are.
John

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 04:08:57 PM »
When the battery goes, they should double up as a nice emergency flare!

Where did you get that Ralph? We have it at work but only in small strips and certainly not as a bar.

I`m no net nannyas we are all responsible for our own actions but just wanted to ask/point out - is there any chance of anything sparking or even the Mg getting hot enough when turning to ignite?  :zap:

Yet again, you have amazed me.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 05:34:17 PM »
No worries Dek  :thumbup:

John, Glad you like it  :)  And as for the burning.  Chris, this is for you too...

Found on the "magnesium.com" forum... from an Ilya Ostrovsky.... in reply to a question about laptop cases being dangerous!!

"
Your "someone" has completely wrong opinion about flammability of magnesium.
Magnesium is safe not only in laptops, but also in an aircraft. The flammability of magnesium was studied and tested in FP6 AEROMAG. This information is available for public and was presented on several conferences, as well as on recent FAA meeting.
Furthermore, flammability resistance of magnesium can be improved by application of special alloys and/or special protective coatings.

!In case of laptop, where simple AZ91 without special coating is used, the ignition may happen at temperature about 550-560C.
I have a lot of doubts that somebody works with laptop in so high temperature.

Regarding battleship, it is probably a kind of science fiction. Magnesium was used during WWII in military aircrafts as well as later in military aviation.
I do not have any information about magnesium battleships. Even today, magnesium is not used in battleships hull. The main reason is corrosion.
Any way, every battleship or military aircraft has enough dangerous explosives. Magnesium really is not issue in this case.!  "

This is not obviously irrefutable but it does reference other materials which you can view. (I choose not too TBH)

I also was working in a workshop at 3 deg C!!   

It didn't get hot at all really, I was clearly mindful of the material as I did know of it's volatile nature, kept an eye on the temperature at regular intervals  :thumbup:

The bar Chris.... Erm, fell off the back of a plane!?!

Ralph. 

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
A little light light....
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 06:07:26 PM »
Ralph
I'm not really sure what the quote is saying? It seems to be trying to give the impression that it is safe but I use it a couple of times a year to show either it's lovely white light when burning or to be used as a burning fuse in the thermite reaction... ! I also drop some in acid to show hydrogen being evolved...so keep it away from your can of coke or you might end up with no torch left! Maybe it is much safer and less flammable as solid block rather than in thin strips.

Enjoy... And regardless of its properties, it looks brill. I must admit, having only ever handled small strips of it, I never appreciated that it was so light weight!!!

Chris

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
A little light light....
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 06:10:07 PM »
From good old wiki...

Magnesium is a highly flammable metal, but while it is easy to ignite when powdered or shaved into thin strips, it is difficult to ignite in mass or bulk

..so there you go!

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 06:27:12 PM »
Not that it helps the discussion much, but I believe that the superstructure of HMS Sheffield was a aluminium-magnesium alloy, which may have contributed to her swift destruction in the Falklands conflict following an Exocet strike.

Chris, do they still demonstrate the thermite reaction in schools? It made a lasting impression on me 50 years ago - the usual spectacular flame from the magnesium fuse, and then great balls of fire - well, molten iron - rolling across the protective metal sheet on the teachers bench.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 06:47:17 PM »
We used to make parts out of 2 1/2" diameter bar, still got some bars left, probably about 5 or 6 metres.
Problem with magnesium is that although it turns nice and you get a shiny finish it starts to oxidise and get a white flaky appearance very quickly unless anodised.

Best use for the turning is to rub them between your hands with a pair of rigger gloves on to turn it into small chipping, perfectly safe doing this.
Then throw the chippings over someone's shoulder whose welding.

Awesome, definitely a brown underpants day  :lol:
John Stevenson

Offline Deko

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 04:18:25 AM »
You're bl**dy cruel you are John  :hammer: It's no wonder it's tropical in your workshop.  :lol:

Cheers Dek.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 05:27:15 AM »
Good bit of info there John  :thumbup:

You rarely fail to make me chuckle with your posts  :lol:

Back to the more serious stuff....

Anodising, same as aluminium? Are there some special tricks you might recall?

Just wondering for future ref' I may have to make a mock up of the torch body and then take Lyn (Kayz1) up on his visit offer and maybe test his anodising set up  :) 

Ralph.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 08:39:03 AM »
Presumably the same setup, don't really know as we used to send it out and just tell them it was magnesium.
John Stevenson

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 09:36:58 AM »
Andy, we do indeed still demo Thermite and it is by far the most exciting experiment! That said, I`ve been doing it for 6 years now and each year I check the list to check it hasn`t been "banned" - no doubt in the near future it will be!

Ralph - regarding the anodizing. I`ve googled it and no doubt it can be done but I don`t see how. It surely can`t be as straight forward as aluminium which I have managed to do and posted my results on here. Aluminium oxide readily sticks to the surface of aluminium but magnesium oxide is more like a powder that can be wiped off! Just from observing the two, I`m sure they must do something extra to give it a higher affinity to the surface. Interested to learn more and I`m also with John that if you don`t do something to it, your nice finish will very soon dull!

Chris

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 11:19:22 AM »
John, Thanks for the reply.... It will take a little research!

Chris, I'll look into it someday... If I find out anything I'll post it.

One good thing about these torches is that they are always in and out of pockets.... Tends to keep them a little polished.... and a little scuffed :)

Ralph.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 11:27:14 AM »
This might work: http://www.ehow.com/how_7395352_anodize-magnesium.html

Doesn't tell you what the cathode should be, but I'd guess lead should be OK.

I don't understand why it goes darker the longer you do it. As Chris says, the oxide is white, and I think the hydroxide is, too - isn't that the main constituent of the milk of magnesia that was poured down the younger me if I ever complained of stomach-ache?

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 11:42:57 AM »
Sodium in water was another good reaction to see, especially if a decent sized piece of sodium is used.

Thermite, by the time I was at secondary school (early 1980s), they showed us the reaction but out-doors & we had to be several dozen feet away, which I think reduced its impact somewhat.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 02:11:02 PM »
Sodium in water was another good reaction to see, especially if a decent sized piece of sodium is used.

Yer sodium another good one.
The exhaust valves on the Rolls Royce merlin engine were sodium filled to help dissipate the heat. We used to crop the heads off and poke the sodium out until you had a matchbox full.

At knock off time the guys would go into the washroom to get cleaned up for going home.
In the middle was a big stainless steel tray that served as a sink, 3 foot wide and probably 10 foot long that you could stand round on all 4 side full of warm water.

Trick was to get in early, wash up and as you were leaving throw the matchbox full of sodium into the sink and watch it wizz round like a demented thing setting fire to all the hairs on the blokes arms.

Oh happy days................
John Stevenson

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
A little light light....
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 06:34:01 PM »
Without a word of a lie, I showed group 1 with metal today! Potassium is a better show than sodium.
The advice on thermite has changed now. They did use to do it outside but since I've been teaching the advice is to do it indoors again. Quite a few teachers were hurt I believe with the mixture blowing up in their face in the wind during lighting! Or so I'm told.

John...a match box full!!! Advice to demo now is a "rice grain" size piece. :-(

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
A little light light....
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 06:39:15 PM »
Just a note to say it is really interesting hearing what experiments did stick in people's minds.
I always enjoyed cracking paraffin oil at school and still do today. Distillation was a good one, made better by the fact that our teacher hasn't fit the condenser properly and the alcohol spilt out and the whole setup turned into a wall of flames!
Other nice one with a Bunsen coming to the end of its life is to add the oxygen cylinder into the air hole and watch the top of the Bunsen melt away. They really look to be steel but I wouldn't have thought that could melt them...but it does!
   Off topic - sorry.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 04:53:42 AM »
Talking of experiments at school, the bike sheds featured a lot in mine  :lol:
John Stevenson