Author Topic: Stevens Crackshot 26 needs fixed  (Read 24442 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Stevens Crackshot 26 needs fixed
« on: December 07, 2011, 07:39:47 AM »
I picked these up in the hopes to make shooters out of them. The one with most of the parts is locked up tight! I've been messing with them the last couple evenings.

I soaked the receiver with the lever overnight in Evapo-rust. It managed to get rid of most of the rust. Plus the parts started to loosen up. I can see how great they look already. Man these are going to be fun little guns!

On the short list of parts that I need to get are barrels and some little springs. I have scrap metal to make my little bits out of and I have a huge plank of walnut tucked away in the rafters of my shop.

I have a few questions about these Crackshot's. Well, I guess for any owners of Crackshot's. I'd like to get a sketch of the barrel if possible. It is a pretty small diameter barrel. I think the bore might have to be offset to make room for the extractor. A sketch of the extractor would be nice also :D I'm thinking that the lug to hold the barrel on will need to be dovetailed into the barrel then soldered on?

Thanks in advance,

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline 75Plus

Re: Stevens Crackshot 26 needs fixed
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:33:48 AM »
Hi Wes, You may have seen these sites but if not you may find them a good resource in this project.

http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad/Stevens%2022/Info%20Discovered.htm

http://www.wisnersinc.com/rifles/stevens/singleshotlever.html

Joe
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 11:06:13 AM by 75Plus »

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 10:41:32 PM »
I started cleaning up the first receiver today. They aren't very flat. I'm block sanding down the sides the best I can. There are flat spots with a low spot here and there. The "Crackshot" lettering can be saved on 2 of the receivers. There is rust pitting that I'm having to deal with. One is pretty bad but it will clean up. I figure it would be better to have these as shooters that worry about markings?

I found a neat Patent drawing Here. It shows the barrel bore being off center.

I'll get some more pictures put up as soon as I can. This first one is looking good though. I'll be ordering my Green mountain barrels tomorrow. They have them for $33 for a 21" .22 barrel.

Thanks for the links!!!

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 11:03:10 AM »
I'm trying to get these cleaned up the best I can. Here is the first one nearly ready.

The first one has a dent on the back side.

Here are the three side by side. Who would have thought that this would have cleaned up so nice?

Two of them had this stamped into the side. Because of the rust and pitting only one can be saved. I haven't found and reference to it?

Got a bit more to do on this one then on to the next one\o/

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 11:14:40 AM »
This might be of interest. I looked around and found a couple on the internet that had the pistol grip. They were made in 1940 like this.

I also found an add for the straight grip. I think I like this style better.

A bargain at $4.45!!! I wish I had a case of them!

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 01:04:36 PM »
I'm making progress\o/ I have one more screw to dig out. The holes that the bolt that holds the stock thread into need to be re-taped. I'm going with 1/4"-32.

I have my lever almost all the way cleaned up. It turned out pretty good. considering how pitted it was. I have a little left on it.

My barrels from Green Mountain showed up. They look great!!!

My mill broke so I have to fix it here pretty quick. The guns will continue shortly:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 01:14:41 PM »
Wes,

Looking good, are you going to do all three?

Sorry about your mill.
 :beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 01:40:17 PM »
I've been posting this on 3 other forums and have been contacted by a couple of guys. One guy had a handful of parts. Levers, falling blocks, hammer, Maybe a trigger? He sold that stuff to me for $30. Another fellow said he might have a couple more receivers and a barrel and wanted to know if I was interested :med: I said yes :wave:

I have enough Walnut to do all three. But my uncle offered a piece of Mahogany. I'll probably make one of them out of it. So, yes, There will be at least 3 of them :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Thanks for looking:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 08:54:07 PM »
A package of parts showed up today. There was a big surprise in it :clap: :clap: :clap:
Wesley P

Offline DaveH

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 09:46:24 AM »
A package of parts showed up today. There was a big surprise in it :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wes

Well! what is it  :bugeye:

DaveH

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 11:54:59 PM »
Sorry for such a cliffhanger :med: The package had an extra receiver in it :ddb: Now I have four. I have some more parts on the way. I found a couple things that I don't have and can use as a pattern to make me some new ones. I'll post a picture soon.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline DaveH

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 09:25:41 AM »
Wes,

Must be Christmas  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
DaveH

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 08:23:21 PM »
My last shipment of parts showed up\o/ Tomorrow I'm going to lay everything out and make a list of parts I need to buy/make. I now have enough receivers to build 6 rifles off of. The last bundle of parts had a couple pieces that I was missing. I now have patterns to make new replacement parts.

I still don't have much info on the barrels for this gun. I'll probably have to wing it\o/

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 08:16:04 PM »
Here are the good parts that I'm going to clean up and use. The rest of the stuff will need to be made.

I have 6 receivers. 2 are in pretty good shape. meaning that they are pretty straight, no big dings, all the lettering is in good shape, they will clean up really nice. 2 are so-so. They have good lettering but there is a ding or 3 that I don't think will clean up. Then there are 2 that are in poor shape. No lettering will be left and one has a crack that I'll need to TIG weld to fix it.

Later,

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 07:31:05 PM »
Here are the hammers. The one is a little rough but it will clean up fine I think. It is interesting that they are so different.

Out to the shop\o/

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 08:17:44 PM »
A fellow on another board offered me a bad barrel and extractor for the price of shipping. It's on it's way\o/ I can almost hear the shootin.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Henning

• All the kit and no clue!
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 08:09:27 AM »
Keep up the good work, Wes!

Seems like you'll be able to get at least 2 really good ones out of what you have.

Henning

Just because i can't, doesn't mean i shouldn't?
Tool- lover, with a collection to show for it!

Offline WillieL

• This space for rent.
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 10:07:46 PM »
Hello Wes,

That is quite a project you have going there.   :bow:

I hope your Green Mountain barrel blank is in better shape than the one I just got. The bore is centered on one end, and wandered off .025" on the other end.   :palm:

It looks like you have a fun job ahead of you, judging from the look of the breech on that puppy. I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress on restoring those gems of yours. I love seeing these kinds of projects.
http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/2138213604/7200693/f1ed36823d457080e00dc3b02ac1e1aa.jpg :drool:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:22:15 PM by WillieL »
WillieL

Midwestern USA

Offline Tophog

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 08:23:52 PM »
Newbie here. Just found this thread.
-
Apparently you can't have enough parts. I have these model 26 parts - barrel, receiver, stock (no cracks) w/ buttplate.  Receiver has a circle w/ I, barrel has a circle w/ P stamp.

Asking $30 plus shipping.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Moderator - nevadashooters.com

Offline Tophog

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 07:35:47 PM »
Above parts SOLD.

Mods, please close.