Author Topic: Air lift coolant system  (Read 6430 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Air lift coolant system
« on: February 26, 2009, 02:53:29 PM »

I need to add coolant to my chop saw  (which has a steel blade, not abrasive) and I thought maybe this scheme would do the trick?  All parts are plastic bits from the hardware plumbing section.

The theory is that air bleeding into the bottom of the column causes a column of aerated coolant which is lighter than coolant alone and hence rises and eventually flows to the work. 
From the den of The Artful Bodger

bogstandard

Re: Air lift coolant system
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 04:54:26 PM »
John,

A very inovative idea, but I think maybe a bit cumbersome for the job in hand.

I can just imagine a bit of over pressure and you will be painting the ceiling with coolant.

But well worth a try if you think it might work efficiently enough.

I am just looking at these units and my mate has just brought me one back from the States. I hope to have it in my hands by next week. If it works well, I will strip it down and see how it is made. I reckon it could be used as an almost total loss system if it will turn down low enough. I am hoping to use them on all my machines, including my power hacksaw. Then when finished cutting, just mop up the tiny amount of coolant it has used.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2725&category=

John

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 05:03:20 PM »
John, I am beginning to wonder if the vent pipe is required.  Without it the output would be a bit 'spluttery' but maybe thats OK.

I agree it is cumbersome in that the resevoir needs to be deep (at least I think it does) but I didnt have anything too fancy in mind, just 4" plastic drain pipe.  Though I have shown nice straight pipe for the up tube of course just garden hose poked to the bottom of the resevoir would do just as well, it just needs a little fitting to somehow inject a bit of shop air at the bottom of the output tube.

I will be looking forward to your opinion on the mist modules.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 05:06:17 PM »
John H

One way to rig up a cheep coolant system is to use gravity, just hang a bottle of coolant up and lead a pipe from it to the job, your just using mother earths free energy.  :thumbup:

John B

Like the air mist we use that system to drill millions of holes a week at work.

Have fun
 :wave:
Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 05:16:53 PM »
Yes Stew, I could use gravity, I could even just put the stuff in a spray bottle and give it a few squirts while the work is being done but where is the fun in that eh? :beer:

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 05:22:49 PM »
Ha John

Your quite right  :doh: there's no fun in that at all, and you don't know where these things will lead it may give someone the idea to to use it some-ware else.  :thumbup:

Have
Fun
A little bit of clearance never got in the road

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 05:58:41 PM »
I fancy some sort of coolant too. I notice esp with stainless things can really heat up when you are going for it making the sizes change somewhat when it cools down.
I've also had brass literally fracture when it gets really hot and you are stressing it with more cutting, particularly when drilling.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline DickDastardly40

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 09:45:41 AM »
One way to rig up a cheep coolant system is to use gravity, just hang a bottle of coolant up and lead a pipe from it to the job, your just using mother earths free energy.

That is what I do (hopefully not a thread hijack on only my 3rd posting):

All the piping and the valves are 6mm fishtank hose, I made the brass bottle reservoir fittings to suit. I have since the pics were taken acquired a 'new to me' 626 style mill and the pipe reaches that nicely so I can use the same setup on all my machines if required. I collect the returns into a container, strain and refill the reservoir. (If the pics don't show please say as I cannot view photobucket from work)

I was wondering about using an airbrush for light misting as I have a cheapie which came free with my compressor, though haven't got around to trying it yet. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Al

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 10:31:17 AM »
That lathe is far too clean, come on, it shows us up  :lol:

Yes the pic's show, little fuzzy though but we get the drift.

Simple, cheap, and easy. Sounds just the ticket.... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)