Author Topic: Center Drill holder  (Read 12737 times)

Offline BiggerHammer

Center Drill holder
« on: January 20, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »
I am not getting in much machining time to be honest, however when I do I usually need a center drill. I had been keeping them in a small plastic box that I just loved to misplace (hide directly in my line of sight). I decided to break in my new Harbor Freight 3" rotary table and make this holder out of some 1 1/2 inch aluminum bar leftover from another project.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So far I have not stabbed myself in the fingertips reaching for a bit. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Rob.Wilson

Re: Center Drill holder
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 12:03:05 PM »
Now that something I could do with ,I am  forever loosing centre drills to the swarf monster  :palm:

Rob

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 03:58:57 PM »
Nice neat job. And something I need as well.

Jim

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 04:18:33 PM »
Isn't it funny when the simplest ideas elude many of us!?  :Doh:

Very neat, I think it will be copied   :dremel:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline sdezego

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 06:16:47 PM »
Very Clever!  This is on the list :)

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 05:23:59 PM »
oooo thats sexy its beter than me tin i keep mine in well dun

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 07:06:07 PM »
Thank you gentlemen. I am glad that I have finally been able to make a useful contribution. I was beginning to feel quite guilty. I was getting so much enjoyment/education/ideas from the site and not really making that much of a contribution.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 02:12:11 AM »
OOO, Hey Mr Wilson, Do you think one of mine got eaten by your swarf monster too? Tiny workshop, still stuff manages to hide from me. Could be the unwritten rule that horizontal surfaces will collect STUFF operates across the globe.  :D
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Henning

• All the kit and no clue!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 02:28:07 PM »
Well, the ever hiding center drill, the fact i seem to use one size all the time as that was close and the fact i had just really tidied up in the wood drills i have combined with this brilliant idea quickly added up to a couple hours of lathe and drillpress work and what do you know:

I added a magnet in the bottom just glued in with Cyanoacrylate to be able to leave it on the lathe or drillpress without pushing it off:

And here's the spot drill and center drills in their place:

Thanks for sharing this great project!
Henning

Just because i can't, doesn't mean i shouldn't?
Tool- lover, with a collection to show for it!

Offline philf

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 04:45:13 PM »
Made mine tonight out of a piece of plastic - I incorporated a magnet as in Hennings design.

It's now stuck to my lathe - where I can find it.

Thanks for the idea.

:thumbup:

Phil
Phil Fern

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 07:54:22 PM »
I must agree, i foresee a magnet being added to mine. Nice change thank you for the idea Henning.

Offline Henning

• All the kit and no clue!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 03:05:46 AM »
What's the saying? Necessity is the mother of all invention.
I have so little space, something not firmly stuck down will quickly be lost to the chaos on the floor...
Hence magnet to try and keep them in place. They are now stuck to my lathe and i will no doubt be able to actually find the right drill when i need it! Thanks again for the great idea!
Henning

Just because i can't, doesn't mean i shouldn't?
Tool- lover, with a collection to show for it!

Offline philf

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 06:53:44 AM »
Whilst in the mood I made another for my countersinks which go walkabouts as much as my centre drills. There's probably one amongst the swarf in my vacuum cleaner now.

Phil.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 02:32:08 PM by philf »
Phil Fern

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 08:26:21 AM »
Hi ,

Nice to see inspired machinists, I have had mine for several years saved me lots of time. Mine were made of rectangular hard wood, which was hanging around at the time

Cheers  David

Offline mechman48

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 09:08:34 AM »
Hi Philf / Henning
Nice work on a simple idea  :thumbup: .
Probably in the wrong forum but is related to posts, could you /other members tell me how to insert pics & text in order of description as you have done, every time I have posted any pics they have always followed text as a series of pics as opposed to wanting to set them out with descriptive texts under or prior/after  ea. pic. I have attached images via the attachment option in the reply box but that only provides a link to my pc album which then posts the images in series, I have tried clicking on the 'Insert image' icon in the toolar but all that does is show..[img][img]..  when I 'preview' post, their are no images shown, I must be missing out on something in the process  :scratch: , in essence I want to post 'thumbnails' in between text as you have.

TIA
George (Silver surfer to boot).
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline philf

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 09:40:52 AM »
Hi Philf / Henning
Nice work on a simple idea  :thumbup: .
Probably in the wrong forum but is related to posts, could you /other members tell me how to insert pics & text in order of description as you have done, every time I have posted any pics they have always followed text as a series of pics as opposed to wanting to set them out with descriptive texts under or prior/after  ea. pic. I have attached images via the attachment option in the reply box but that only provides a link to my pc album which then posts the images in series, I have tried clicking on the 'Insert image' icon in the toolar but all that does is show..[img][img]..  when I 'preview' post, their are no images shown, I must be missing out on something in the process  :scratch: , in essence I want to post 'thumbnails' in between text as you have.

TIA
George (Silver surfer to boot).

Hi George,

There was a post done a while ago about pictures which should explain everything:

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,607.msg2864.html#msg2864

Basically you need to get an account with e.g. Photobucket to host your pictures. (A basic account, which is all you need, is free.) You upload your pictures to the site and then copy the image code which you then paste into the correct position in your text.

Good Luck.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline mechman48

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 05:44:38 AM »
Thanks Phil.
Forgot about Photobucket, remembered I had an account from last year which I havent used since then   :doh: ..... now I remember why  :Doh: When I uploaded stuff to Photobucket it always used to take ages & freeze my pc & then I had to reboot. I sent feedback to Photobucket & they have since stated that there is an update/new version out so will give it a try, failing that will have to sign up to another..Picasa / Imageshack maybe  :scratch:
Thanks for the reminder.
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'