Author Topic: Taper Turning  (Read 8159 times)

Online RussellT

Taper Turning
« on: January 15, 2013, 06:36:01 AM »
One day while using the lathe I had the not very original thought that if I could turn two handles at the correct rate then I wouldn't need the taper turning attachment that I can't afford anyway.

Some time has passed and I have finally developed the idea to a stage where I have something to show.

Here's the lathe with a gear tooth position sensor counting the revolutions of the spindle.

This is the cheap ebay topslide with a worm drive and stepper motor added.

This shows the general arrangement with an old laptop, an old computer power supply and a box with some home made stepper motor drivers.  I wrote a program for the computer to control the topslide based on the number of revolutions of the work.  It works with the lathe on its finest feed.

The fourth shows the results of a test with a MT2 socket on the taper - I was delighted with this as the fit is excellent although the surface finish could do with improvement.

The last picture shows the result.

Russell
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:27:59 PM by RussellT »
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Re: Taper Turning
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 07:17:51 AM »
Neat & Simple - I like that :)

Bill
Bill

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:12:28 PM »
Nice going Russell  :med: Very clever idea  :smart:

Looks like your getting a good finish too  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline Jonny

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 01:37:43 PM »
I like that idea in general, smarten it up you may have a market.

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 03:39:28 AM »
Oh I doooo love innovation, especial when using old bits, as in recycling. :D :D
Brilliant ! I award you Madmodder, Star off excellence. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Well I would if I had one, it is time some recognition system was set up to recognise great ideas perhaps with a button for "I love this", get so many and get a star. :lol:
I know all members are stars, I mean one like we got on our books at school if we were really good. :nrocks:
Many thanks for a great article Russell :beer:
Trev

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 07:37:45 AM »
Russell what software are you using? great job  :clap:
Once in hole stop digging.

Online RussellT

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 04:09:10 PM »
Hi All

Thank you for the kind remarks.

Rob - the finish looks better than it feels - but I've seen the finish on some of your projects  :bow: and I appreciate the comment.

Jonny - I hadn't thought about that  :scratch: but it ought to be possible to reduce it to a sensor, microcontroller and stepper driver.  A mechanism that could be mounted in the toolpost and advanced by stepper would make it usable on virtually any lathe.

Trevor - I'm very keen on recycling stuff  - or maybe :lol: just averse to spending money.  The only thing I bought for this project was the spare topslide which was missing the dial and handle anyway.

Swarfing - The old laptop is running Windows 98 (which is an advantage as later versions make access to the parallel port more difficult).  I've written a program in QuickBasic to control the stepper motor.  (QBasic would have worked too.)  There is a little bit of machine code in the program as the sensor uses the parallel port interrupt to make sure it doesn't miss counting any teeth.  I've not done any programming in assembler before so that was a challenge. :bang:

I ought to record my thanks to Allegro Microsystems who made the gear tooth position sensor (ATS616LSG).  I couldn't find a supplier in this country and they gave me some free samples. :clap:

Thanks again for the comments. :beer:

Russell

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 06:25:31 AM »
Russell
Please post copy of the qbasic program, I would love to see you version.
Many thanks
Trev

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 12:46:06 PM »
If you replace the threading program with TurboCNC or LinuxCNC or Mach3, there they will be a whole lot of other things it will be able to do then just tapers.
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 01:36:06 PM »
That's mental! (meaning cool!)

Some people just have genius DNA  :smart:  Very ingenious /Russell   :clap: 

Trev... IMHO  "recognition system"  =  Route of many evils!  (I.E. karma junkies!!!)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Online RussellT

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »
Thanks Ralph.  Some people have said I'm mental too. :lol:

RotarySMP I've thought about that and I downloaded Mach3 to have a play but found the learning curve a bit steep.  I don't quite see how it would help as I only have one motorised axis.  I did think that it should be possible to turn funny shapes like cams or possibly even squares but that would need a bigger stepper motor as the current one is only capable of very slow movement.

Trevor No problem.  I've attached a copy of the program.  It still needs some refinement and features - I haven't put anything in for custom tapers although I have set up MT 1, 2 and 3 for my lathe.  There are some portions (to do with interrupt addressing) that came from an internet tutorial so I would give credit for that if I could remember where I got it from.  If you want to know more about any of it then please ask.  You'll need the change the file extension to bas to run it.

Russell