Author Topic: 1906 motor bike engine  (Read 124892 times)

Offline rschilp

Re: 1906 motor bike engine
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2013, 11:17:45 AM »
Tom, thank you for those drawings, I assume those provided some of your inspiration.

At .160 wall you should have a very sturdy frame ;-)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2013, 11:48:45 AM »
Tom, thank you for those drawings, I assume those provided some of your inspiration.

And need good brakes!  :thumbup:

:)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2013, 12:58:05 PM »

And need good brakes!  :thumbup:

:)

David D

Optional extra's  :wave:
John Stevenson

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2013, 02:55:25 PM »
Isn't that why hobnailed boots were invented :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2013, 03:18:28 PM »
Nice work.
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Offline Joules

« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2013, 06:58:43 AM »
Isn't that why hobnailed boots were invented :clap:

You don't need stinking indicators, just tap your toe coming upto the junction.

Great project by the way.... :wave:
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline OKTomT

« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2013, 09:50:10 AM »
Hi guy.
I have made a little progress on the bike.  Tom

Offline Pete49

« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2013, 11:46:04 PM »
Been following this and love how its coming together. Can't wait to see you using it. As for brakes why ? you want it to go not stop.
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2013, 08:24:16 AM »
Now you can start, see, and top up the tank. Headlamp and tank really dress it up! Looks the part.  :thumbup: :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2013, 05:49:49 AM »
@ OKTomT

Just joined this forum because of my intense interest with this engine build.  I have so many questions, and I want to scratch-build a full-size, vintage bike engine like the one pictured in this construction article.

While your photo-build is wonderfully informative, of course few dimensions are noted concerning the engine, like con-rod lengths, gear specs. etc.  Is this an engine that you designed or can this be an engine from some book on how to build a vintage bike like Hasluck's "Motor Cycle Building-1906"?  I really need some more critical dimensions to duplicate the engine...I'm not as good as you are and need a detailed road map to Engineland.

Following this build with very great interest, and greater anticipation.  Thanks for sharing.

Frank

EDIT:   Sorry...Just re-read the opening postings and realized that the bike and engine designs are taken from the Hasluck's book.  So excited about finding this thread that I skipped over the important details of the engine-build.  Now to hunt down the book.  Anyone know who retails the book?  Lindsay's gone.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:02:43 AM by BronxFigs »

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2013, 08:12:29 AM »
Mr. Chips...

Thank you for the link-up. 

**************************************************************************************************************

@ OKTomT:  Crankcase is split construction, and two halves are bolted together.  How do you prevent oil leakage from seams?  Gaskets, sealants?  Just curious.

Frank

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2013, 10:02:58 AM »
Frank did you read the second post? the book is available online so no need to buy.

J

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2013, 12:33:49 PM »
JasonB...

My eyes glazed over when I saw the engine being built, and they stayed glued to the photos.  There are times when I think I am losing it...and I get tunnel-vision.  Certain engines do this to me, and my brain edits everything out that's around me.  I even started collecting scrap for making this engine.  I'd say that's jumping the gun.

Now...I'll take a deep breath, and go back, and this time, carefully read all the words, etc.

Thank-you for letting me know that this book is available online.  I'll give a look.  Much obliged.

Frank

EDIT:  Just found this text book on the on-line library link.  I just saved approx. $20.00 USD  I will try to copy only the engine building instructions etc.  It's Christmas, again!

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:59:56 PM by BronxFigs »

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2013, 03:29:35 PM »
I spent the last few hours reading the book.  The engine design presented here is considerably different in some areas, like the head, valves, etc, than the engine described in the book   Honestly, I think this modern engine is built much nicer.  The above engine is fabricated from bar-stock and weldments.  That's the good part. Ruin a part...go to the scrapyard for replacement materials.

My dilemma:  What steel(s) do I use for the con-rod?  I would speculate that any steel that's available today has to be better than the steels of 1906.  What about valves, rocker-arms, bearings, cam followers, camshaft ... etc?  What should be hardened, case-hardened, etc.  Do rules for material selection for model engine parts translate to full-size, working engines?

I guess this is a British publication, using British terms for some parts, like gudgeon pins, "tommy holes", (whatever they are).... etc.  Stay tuned, I may need some translations.  What is a "tommy hole"?

I hope this engine/bike build continues to the end. 

TomT...you got my full attention....

Frank

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2013, 03:48:50 PM »
Its to put your Tommy Bar into :thumbup:

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2013, 04:06:16 PM »
Jason.....

Oh...so that's where I stick it!   I've been doin' it wrong.

F

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2013, 05:50:32 PM »
I am very glad that a link was provided that leads to the text copy of the Hasluck book.  My interests are in building the engine only, and not the bike. 

Regarding the engine-fabrication section of the book: 

The book goes into great detail about how to machine the commercially available, 1906 castings for this engine.  The majority of the text is written for the times, the terminology is difficult to understand, and, is mostly archaic. Our modern tools, and machining methods would be used instead of the methods used back then. 

If you are going to build this engine from bar-stock and weldments, about 75% of the written text is useless, and has nothing to do with the engine that is being built in this thread.  Granted, the engine in this thread is derived from the textbook design, and some of the parts and measurements may be the same, or, very similar, but the modern version just "looks" old-fashioned.

I am very glad that I did not have to order the book and then be ultimately disappointed after reading the engine chapter.  By the way, there is a smaller, and lighter version of this engine-type in later chapters.  The directions will give you and engine with a 2-1/2" bore and stroke.

If it's the modern version of the engine that you want to build, follow this thread closely.  The book will not fill in the blanks....unless you want to wind your own spark-coil, and make a spark plug.  I'd rather go to the store and buy them...but hey, that's just me.  I'll follow Tom's way.

Just my opinion.

Frank
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 09:17:19 AM by BronxFigs »

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2013, 02:55:36 AM »
Frank you do need to bear in mind that amoung the membership there are quite a few home foundry owners who may well chose to make their own patterns as mentioned in the book.

Tom is a very capable fabricator, if you have seen his other engines you will know this and that is why he has gone down the welded fabrication route just as someone with a decent size CNC may choose to cut the parts from solid.

J

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2013, 09:14:03 AM »
JasonB:

Of course.  You're absolutely right.  I forgot who was going to read my comments.  For many, making patterns, and doing castings from scratch would be child's play, and their machining skills are very far beyond what I think I can do.

That said, the engine presented in this build thread,  is a revamp of the design shown in the book.

I stand, corrected.

Frank

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2013, 09:25:11 AM »
Tom....

Having only joined this forum within the last day, I have many questions about your engine which I would have asked at the time when you originally posted photos, etc.  Now I have to play catch-up, but will hold off asking until I see where this thread takes us.  Perhaps my questions will be answered in future postings by you, as the project/engine nears completion.

Very interesting, and well presented project.

Frank

Offline OKTomT

« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »
Hi guys
I have been working on getting the engine started. The bike frame and engine was fastened to my work table and a electric motor was also mounted to turn the engine.  The engine fired a couple of times and twisted the center out of the aluminum pulley that I had mounted to the crankshaft. It looks like if I am going to start it this way I need a one way clutch on my pulley. all the other engines I have built had big flywheels and just by turning them they started right up this engine is a little different beast and will take a little more effort.  I may need to go ahead and build the kick starter and start it that way.
Frank welcome to the Modder. The book helped me to get started on this engine but it didnt take long for me to go my own way. The crankcase  is sealed with gasket sealer and will probably leak a little. I will get the gear and rod spec. next time I disassemble it.
Jason thanks for  helping Frank out.

here are some pictures of the bike. I remade the handlebars and have been working on the tank  Tom

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2013, 01:17:23 PM »
Tom...

Thank you for the kind acknowledgements and for giving us such an interesting build.  You engine is most interesting to me, and thanks for answering some of my many questions.  I have more, but I'll wait.  Now I know that you used sealant on the crankcase seams.

Any chance that you will  do some drawings for the critical parts of the engine, like the piston, head, cams, and their gearing dimensions, lifters, rocker arm measurements, etc?  The rest of the engine looks like it could be built from your posted photos.

Jason has helped me in the past, and will probably continue to help me into the future...and I thank him for his friendly gestures.  : )

Tom...good luck getting the engine started.  Tell us what's going on with it, and how you solved the problems.  If you had to do it over would you do it the same way, or, would you make changes to your engine design?

Also, good luck with the rest of the bike-build.  It's turning out to be a beautiful looking machine.

Kind regards,

Frank

Offline micktoon

« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2013, 03:28:06 PM »
Good to see you making progress Tom , its going to be one cool machine once its all done  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Keep up the good work  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick

Offline OKTomT

« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »
Thanks Frank and Mick
Frank when I have it apart I will take some measurements for you.  as for changes I would use roller bearings and seals on all the shafts.  I think I would build the crankshaft different , no taper on rod pin.
I got the engine running and it runs ok .it is balanced a lot better than I thought it would be. I am running a old mixer off of a stationary engine temporarily. the first carb. I tried was of a 7 hp Honda and would not supply enough fuel to start it. Here is a video of it running. Tom