Author Topic: Unknow hex bar  (Read 4551 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Unknow hex bar
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:28:24 AM »
I'm just catching half an hour in my workshop tidying my metal stock as I'm running low. From the back of a draw unit, I found a large hex bar. However, it looks very red, like copper?
Having never used copper in raw bar form, I can't be sure but I was under the impression that it didn't machine too well and presumed it wouldn't be terribly useful in hex...putting me in doubt!?!

Just snapped a couple of pictures, calipers there to show scale, not exact measurements.

Any thoughts... I've even checked a couple of suppliers and they don't stock copper in hex  ( or at least couldn't see it on a quick scout around the website) ... Macc models and CES being examples of those that don't show it listed.

Just looked at the photos and they look quite brass like...definitely much much more red than any brass I have seen or used.

Chris

Offline Swarfing

Re: Unknow hex bar
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:39:44 AM »
Looks like bronze on my screen Chris?
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Unknow hex bar
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 12:30:48 PM »
Having never used it, I'd totally ignored it as a possibility! Thank you and yes, very likely to be bronze.

Never machined it and I will have to read up on what it could be used for in the future.

Offline Anzaniste

Re: Unknow hex bar
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:55:02 PM »
What does it measure across the flats? Could it be a particular nut size?
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.